1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Caprasauridae's Lizardmen (Woogity's Rex! )

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Caprasauridae, Mar 22, 2012.

1. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Re: Caprasauridae's Lizardmen (With finished Salamders 10.1.

Very nice looking Old Blood! I've been toying with assembling and painting the same model and this is really stoking the motivation. :) The color scheme is interesting. I would not have thought it would look very good if it were described to me, but the actual result looks very nice!

Thanks for sharing!

2. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Every detail shows great care went into this. Your base work is especially impressive. I like the way you did the snakes and I like the tile beneath the Old Blood.

3. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Really great model, top to bottom. Nice colour selections. The whole model looks great. The grey dry brushing on the weapon really stands out to me as well done.

The left side of his face looks a little blotchy in the photo. Maybe an extra very thin extreme highlight might bring some more definition? The miniature itself is lacking sculpted detail in that area, though.

When I finally get around to painting again, I think I might steal a few ideas from this model.

4. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Re: Caprasauridae's Lizardmen (A Fresh Oldblood Model!)

Thank you all for your very kind words!

rychek: Actually, when I was listing colour combinations in my head, I first scratched off the orange-bone combo as well. But then I saw those colours next to each others, actually on a towel, and took a liking to them. But I'm glad if the model motivated you! Good luck with your own Oldblood and please share some pictures when you get it done!

Scalenex: The tile was made on a whim. The base was finished and I felt like it looked a bit boring with mostly brown colours. I'm not sure if Lizardmen were vain enough to give the floor tiles multiple colours, but don't really care, I like it much more that way!

Old Mossy: I made the "drybrushing" on the weapon with a sponge, trying to make it look more like stone than a... well, a grey slab of something. I could have added one more lighter layer of colour with the sponge, though. You are right about the face, it does look blotchy, now that you mention it. I think it's because I noticed that the mouth was still completely white after I had painted the face, and I got some pink spots on it. I corrected it a bit too hastily, I guess. Oh, and you are definitely welcome to "steal" some ideas! Good luck with your painting!

5. Dancing with Saurus
    Skink

Dancing with Saurus New Member

Great looking Old Blood. I really liked the depth achieved on the gold. What colours did you paint his skin? I really like it ... he almost looks a bit clammy (in a good way :D ). As though his his skin would be semi translucent and a bit like the alien dude from Prometheus.

6. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Haha, thanks DwS, clammy wasn't in my mind when I painted him, but sure. It can be jungle moisture on his skin, or something. I think the new metallics of the GW range are magnificient, they are easy to paint and give rather good coverage.

The paints I used are:

For the scales:
    Jokaero Orange base
    heavy Ogryn Flesh wash
    Troll Slayer Orange on the top of the scales

The skin:
    Tau Light Ochre as base
    Ogryn Flesh wash
    thinned Bleached Bone everywhere else except in the crevices
    another Ogryn Flesh wash
    Bleached Bone highlights

7. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Hi all! Just a quick update. Some time ago, I purchased a new in box Scar-Vet On Cold-One blister from eBay. It was unopened, but there was no head there. First I thought I'd return it, but it's such a hassle. And it's not like I have shortage of lizard heads. So I made a small conversion, basically my first one (not a big fan) and got into it, so decided to also make a more impressive weapon to replace the puny pick-axe he originally has:

IMAG0393_zps924593b7.jpg

IMAG0394_zpse22175b9.jpg

IMAG0395_zpsa7e0a3ce.jpg

Obviously it still needs a lot of work, but I'm quite pleased with the weapon. It'll take a long time until I get to paint this guy, though. Oh well...

Bracnos and Bowser like this.
  8. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Re: Caprasauridae's Lizardmen (A Mounted Scar-Vet Conversio

What? I got some painting done? Impossible!

But it's true. May I present you, Minttu the Stegadon! (Minttu is mint in Finnish, she has mint coloured eyes... kinda)

IMAG0954_zpsbb0f76e7.jpg

IMAG0955_zps7ec0361b.jpg

IMAG0959_zps1a89adf4.jpg

I'm really happy with this one and the Steg was a pure pleasure to paint. I went with the same paint scheme as with my previous Old-blood. Next up is the howdah. I'm still not sure if I'm going to paint it with stone colours or with metals. Stone would jump out of the stegadon's colours, I think. One thing is for sure: I'm going to magnetize the howdah. Need to study that a bit, though.

As always, questions and comments are welcomed.

Attached Files:

Bracnos, Bowser and Slanputin like this.
  9. nathanbomb6
    Saurus

nathanbomb6 New Member

Re: Caprasauridae's Lizardmen (with Minttu the Stegadon)

oh man that stegadon :O
    Can you tell me the paints you used for 'Minttu'?
    I would love to borrow that scheme for a couple models, if you will allow, thanks.
    Keep the good work up!

10. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

Wow! Great work on the stegadon so far. Loving those colors. Well executed!

11. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Thanks guys!

nathanbomb6, you are free to use any paint scheme you find on this blog. I have been inspired by so many on this web site that it feels like I'm just returning a favour.

The paints I used are:

For the scales:
    Jokaero Orange base
    heavy Ogryn Flesh wash

The skin:
    Tau Light Ochre as base
    Ogryn Flesh wash
    thinned Bleached Bone everywhere else except in the crevices
    another Ogryn Flesh wash
    Bleached Bone highlights

It's the same as with my Old-blood on the previous page, but I left out the last layer of orange on the scales, because I liked the darker orange.

12. Sealterbloind
    Cold One

Sealterbloind Active Member

Piti käydä katsomassa miten toisen suomalaispelaajan armeija edistyy :D

So, that's one nice looking Stegadon you have :) Very solid paint job, I like the overall paint scheme of your army, especially those awesome shields you've painted differently 83 That brings much attitude to your SW unit. Your Slann's palaquin is also neat with it's broken tusks (or whatever they are). It looks like he has seem many wars and been in many battles. Oh, and I love your Oldblood model! He looked so dignified with his creamy scales.

Can't wait to see more! :)

13. nathanbomb6
    Saurus

nathanbomb6 New Member

Thanks a lot Caprasauridae, really appreciate it, I'll definitely try it out in the future.

14. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Kiitos kaunis, Sealterbloind! Thanks for all of your kind words!

I got the Slann and the palanquin from eBay and the palanquin was like that already. I still haven't attached the Slann onto it, as I'm thinking of making my own version for the Slann to sit on. Something pretty simple. We'll see how it goes when I eventually get onto it.

nathanbomb6, you are welcome. Good luck with your painting!

15. Kered
    Jungle Swarm

Kered New Member

I've worked out why you palanquin is like that. The sides with the tusks and not from the normal slann but Lord Kroak's palanquin and have be combined with the base of the regular one. The skink attendant has also been removed. Give you a rather nice little conversion.

16. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Nice catch, Kered. I have never really thought about it, but I did notice the missing skink attendant and it is a bit of a shame.

17. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Hey, folks!

Like I said earlier, I'm not a big fan of the Slann's palanquin, so I tried to make my own. The idea was "keep it simple". Like if the Slann would lift his froggy behind from the throne would make it collapse into a pile of rocks. Tell me what to think.

IMAG0966_zps1eb3cdbb.jpg

IMAG0968_zps1fd67225.jpg

IMAG0972_zps09aa819c.jpg

IMAG0971_zpsd9926e9f.jpg

I know I'm not the most creative person when it comes to conversions, so if you have additional ideas, I'd like to hear them. Should I add some pieces from other kits? And about colour. I like the natural stone, but I have to do something about the green stuff showing. Should I just cover them or prime the whole thing and then paint it to look like stone? Come on, let me know what you think!

Bowser and Sudaj like this.
  18. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

Re: Caprasauridae's Lizardmen (with custom Slann palanquin)

I quite like the concept you've come up with for the palanquin. I can imagine a Slann thinking "Right, time to go!" and a bunch of rocks floating into the air and forming up around him into a flying chair, and then when the job's done it sinks back to the ground and breaks down into a pile of rocks again. Maybe he can do this with "sacred" rocks that are sitting in his magic pond, cleansed by the holy waters. Even have glyphs carved into the stones which glow when activated in chair-mode and then go dull when just sitting around being rocks.

I've become immediately fond of this idea, and may steal it in the future!

Sudaj likes this.
  19. The Hunted
    Carnasaur

The Hunted Active Member

I love this idea! It's so simple, yet you can do so much with it.

Add some vines and random small lizards, add a skink holding up some rocks in order to 'complete' the build, add a skink holding a rock trying not to get crushed....make the base like a spawning-pool, so it seems like the Slann just had a bath.

Aside from all that fun stuff, it actually looks good too. Simple and solid.

Can we get a full frontal view of it though? They're all a bit sideways to show it off better, but I want to see what my opponent sees...

Looks good, add some small things to it and it will be awesome!

The Hunted

20. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Thanks for the compliments!

Fhanados: That's just what I was going with this. I really like the rocks lying in magic pond when "not in use", that's quite fluffy. You are well to steal this idea, those kinds of rocks are usually really easy to come by, especially if there is a road construction or the like near-by.

The Hunted: Ask and ye shall receive!

IMAG0964_zps860f7d9a.jpg

It's a bit from up, so I guess this is what a Daemon Prince facing the Slann would see...

Thanks again.

Bowser and Sudaj like this.