1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Caprasauridae's Lizardmen (Woogity's Rex! )

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Caprasauridae, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Korhedron
    Saurus

Korhedron Member

Re: Caprasauridae's Lizardmen (New Skink Priest!)

Hey. Is your slann ready? If not, consider this. The joints are hard to hide, so don't! Rather exaggerate them. Make them "raw tendrils of magic", and very visible. Purple toad, light blue magic, for example. Add small tentacles of energy, or swirling runes. Since the area is so small, this will not detract attention from the slann, but enhance his otherworldly appearance. The runic option would be in tune with our Scandinavian flavour, I would think. Nice and earthy

2. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Hello, Korhedron!

So sorry, I somehow missed your comment, even though I constantly check "View your posts" list...

I have put the Slann aside for now, so no progress has been done. I'm not sure what you mean by "joints". Are you talking about the green stuff blobs in the stone palanquin of the Slann? I like the idea of "energy tentacles". Too bad I don't have an airbrush, that would make adding glow effects so much easier... I'll definitely consider this when I start working with the palanquin again. Thanks for the suggestion!

3. Link_t_c
    Skink

Link_t_c Member

WOW!
    I love the work you have done, especially the work of the marble on the howda of the stegadon, it's outstanding!

4. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Thanks a lot, Link! I'm pretty happy about how it turned out, too.

5. Korhedron
    Saurus

Korhedron Member

Heya! Yeah, I mean the green stuff/glue areas. And the specifics are of course not bound to my solution. Tiny greenstuff tentacles is just the first thing that struck my mind. But a nice contrast between the natural rock, and the obviously painted glue/green stuff would compliment the otherworldly slann nicely. Could be achieved with additional, tiny rocks bound by blu-hued matter, for instance.

6. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Hmm, now I'm picturing small rocks being "levitated" by the energy tentacles and you know what? I really like it!

7. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Hi all!

This time, I have a special treat for you. Instead of my sloppy brush strokes, you can feast your eyes on a Gor-Rok painted by Neveroddoreven as a freebie for his commission painting portfolio!

The story starts couple months back, when Neveroddoreven posted here, on Lustria Online, that he is thinking of starting a commission painting service and would like to increase his portfolio and get some experience on running a service like that. I thought for sure, that he wouldn't want to go out of his way to paint something for somebody living in far away Finland. Nevertheless, I contacted him and asked if he was up to it. And he was! I was super excited, I love his plog here and genuinely think his work includes some of the best miniatures I have ever seen!

He PM'd me his email, and I asked some general questions about how the thing should go down and send him a picture of a scheme I would like to see (For those of you who are interested, it was Kroxigor on the GW's How to Paint Lizardmen ebook) and said I would like to see that on a Gor-Rok (got that bad boy as a birthday present and had just build him). One thing I want to mention here is that he always answered very quickly and made it very pleasant to deal with him. He also gave me a time table on when it would be ready. This is where he slipped a bit, saying it was harder to achieve the light green colour than he had thought, and the miniature took few days longer than expected. Neveroddoreven still kept me in the loop really well and even send me some WIP pictures to make sure it was starting to look the way I wanted. It was.

When the package arrived, I couldn't wait to open it. The model was very carefully packed in bubble wrap and made immobile inside the package. A band of foam sheet was also wrapped around the miniature as extra protection. Miniature survived the trip beautifully, I found no postage-induced injuries.

But, that is way more than enough about that. Here are the pictures!

2014-11-16162730_zpsdccb434a.jpg

2014-11-16162711_zpsfb0533a6.jpg

2014-11-16162651_zps21a4876b.jpg

2014-11-16162742_zps3f0d63a8.jpg

2014-11-16162847_zps346b3b07.jpg

2014-11-16162915_zpsc8807d9b.jpg

Neveroddoreven asked me how I would like the bases to be done. My wish was to have something similar to what my own bases are and advised him to check my plog for guidelines. He did a fantastic work with that. Even though Gor-Rok will easily stand out when amongst my troops, the basing and the rim colour of the base will make it look like it belongs. He also inquired what the marble should look like, and again I pointed towards my plog (increased traffic, yay!) and said I would like it to look similar to the howdah on my Stegadon. The marble is by far my favourite part of the model, it looks so life like! All the subtle lines and colour differences don't really show in the pictures that well, in real life it looks even better, I assure you.

I promised Neveroddoreven a review of how I felt about this process. Of course much would depend on the pricing of his services. I was extremely happy with the end result and the service I got. He was very pleasant to deal with and I really appreciated how he kept me in the loop. I saw this system on one commission service's web page, where he divided the quality (and pricing) into three categories. First was basic table top quality, with base colours, washes and some highlights and details. Second was detailed job with more shading and even more intricate details picked up. The third, and most expensive category was the quality of second with lots of added freehand or difficult blendings. To put the Gor-Rok on to that scale, I would say it belongs to category 2 or 2.5. There's lots of shadings and all the details are picked out, and especially the marble effect on shield and weapon push it over the second category, but maybe not all the way to the highest third category. This I'm basing on what I have seen on Neveroddoreven's plog. Especially his added scale effects on Sauri and Skinks are mind blowing, and definitely category 3 stuff.

I hope Neveroddoreven finds this review useful. He definitely has the painting skills to make it in the commission business, I think the next step would be to figure out the pricing and get some kind of website running. Also, an important thing to learn / take into account, is the pricing of your time. How much can you spend on one miniature so that your hourly wage is not on the level of a sweatshop worker... Maybe you can buy some popular models (like the new End of Times minis), paint them up and put them on eBay. You can see how much people are willing to pay and get an idea of the work/pay ratio. I wish you all the best and hope you can succeed.

- Caprasauridae

Jorgik, Bracnos, Bowser and 2 others like this.
  8. VampTeddy
    Terradon

VampTeddy Active Member

Re: Caprasauridae's Lizardmen (Neveroddoreven's Gor-Rok!!)

Awesome looking model! I'm a big fan of that particular paint scheme as well, and i really think neverodenen presented it very well!

I'd put that model higher tho, i definetely think i'd put it into 3, why? The scars and the work on making the Marble on the shield counts to me as somewhat "free handy" while not completely being so, it certainly feels like something "extra" delivered there!

nice work, and being a few days of target because he wanted the precise color can hardly be a poor thing!

9. NexS1
    Carnasaur

NexS1 Well-Known Member

Tasty. Very, very tasty.

10. woogity
    Cold One

woogity Active Member

marble came out great!

Sudaj likes this.
  11. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

NexS1 and woogity: I agree!

VampTeddy: Of course, it's ultimately Neveroddoreven's decision, and I'm not good enough painter to know how hard those things were actually to accomplish (especially blending the brownish on the scars to green), but I still feel his work on individual scales that can be seen on some Skink and Saurus characters on his blog require more work/time. I'm very interested to see how he will eventually price his services.

12. Dancing with Saurus2
    Saurus

Dancing with Saurus2 Member

He's a beaut!! The marbling is great - i'll have to give it a go at some point.

13. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Remember to share picture of your results, DwS!

14. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Hello hello!

Lately I have been back to the future, or, Necrons and Infinity have kept me busy. I have finished a Bastiladon, but the contraption on it's back and the crew still needs work.

Meanwhile, I have something pretty exciting to show. I think most of you saw Woogity's post about a trio of Kroxi... I mean, Lizard Tribe Colossi he had designed himself and 3D printed. He gave the first batch away against self-determined postage costs. I was lucky to voice my lust after those models very early, and yesterday, I got the models! So I decided to write a short review on them. Here it goes.

Unboxing:

2015-02-02%2019.34.17_zpsvtgqwkcd.jpg

The Colossi came nicely wrapped in bubble wrap, and with a Thank You note! On the other side, Woogity aka Matthew had added some general notions about the models. One thing to note is that they are not made out of your typical Finecast resin. The pieces are quite hard and have a solid feeling, closer to plastic models. But, the thin parts are also very fragile. Mine came with the tip of the tongue broken (something that won't be seen after the model has been painted).

2015-02-02%2020.53.16_zpsjnagajgo.jpg

Also, I should advice you to be careful when removing flash, especially around the hands and other small areas. The flash in mine was harder than in Finecast type resins, and I used a bit too much force trying to remove it and removed one of the Colossus' fingers instead!

Anyway, putting the model together was incredibly easy, the pieces fit together very nicely, and you can build the whole model without glue and it stays together. Of course, adding super glue (plastic glue won't work, as is always the case with resins) is recommended if you don't want a bunch of Colossi with leprosy...

2015-02-02%2021.19.55_zpsavtb62zx.jpg

2015-02-02%2021.20.10_zpsiov70tt4.jpg

According to the instructions on the card, the models come pre-primed with grey primer, so they are ready to be painted (I would recommend washing them in warm water and soap before, though, as mine were a bit dusty). I was very curious about this and decided to try it out. I slapped some basecoat on one of the models. Here's what I found out: They can definitely be painted without priming, and the Citadel paint sticks to the surface rather well. Sometimes some "slipperiness" can be seen. By this, I mean that the paint just pools on the surface and doesn't stick that well, like if you tried to paint normal plastic. The paint covers everything if applied in couple layers, but I'm a bit worried about how it will stick in the long run and will it start flaking. Time will tell, but I think I'll prime the other two Colossi, just in case.

Lastly, here's a size comparison of the Colossi and Kroxigor:

2015-02-02%2022.43.12_zps6q3bpq10.jpg

They are about the same size (if you include the base), but the Colossi is much more bulky/muscular and intimidating looking. I'll continue painting this fellow and post more pictures once it's ready.

Great big thanks for Woogity for sharing this with us and drawing more new forum members/lurkers in than anything before!

15. NexS1
    Carnasaur

NexS1 Well-Known Member

Re: Caprasauridae's Lizardmen (Woogity's Custom Kroxigor!)

That's great! I'm glad someone was able to do a write up!
    I have a request.. Could you please take a picture of them ranked up with skinks for comparison?

Cheers :)

16. Xlanax_lot
    Troglodon

Xlanax_lot Well-Known Member

Check it out

image10.jpg

Jorgik, Bracnos and Bowser like this.
  17. Kyofu
    Skink

Kyofu New Member

im thinking about modeling and printing my own cowboy (cause derp ones ;) )or tetto and i wonder are the parts hollow? and do you think that the brittleness of the smaller parts will be an issue in play/transport? is the material flexible at all? was there a lot of flesh to be chopped away? so many questions >_<' would it be possible to have a macroshot of the face area to see how good the details came out on the actual mini?

18. NexS1
    Carnasaur

NexS1 Well-Known Member

That's almost what i was looking for!
    I remember back when woogity first posted his models that i wanted to see what they'd look like as part of a skrox unit.

Do you have more skinks to rank up?

19. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Damn!

They still look awesome, I'm in the second mailing batch, can't wait for mine.

20. Xlanax_lot
    Troglodon

Xlanax_lot Well-Known Member

I don't have my army with me at the moment, only the stegadon Im working on and woogs koxigors, but here are some more pictures for scale. I am sure they will look awesome in a skrox unit though, this kroxigor are massive and the sculpt is far better than any other out there.

IMG_27881.jpg
    IMG_2790.jpg