1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Carnosaur Ideas

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Kcibrihp-Esurc, Sep 30, 2014.

?

What do you think of Carnosaurs?

1. Brilliant

13 vote(s)
    24.5%
  2. Good but there are better options

19 vote(s)
    35.8%
  3. Unsure

17 vote(s)
    32.1%
  4. Bad

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  5. Terrible

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Nice but too Expensive

18 vote(s)
    34.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Saurian
    Skink

Saurian Member

x2 LoHeavens Skink Priests with Iceshard Blizzard makes the Carno much less vulnerable to ranged attacks, including more chance that any threatening warmachines won't be able to fire at all.

2. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

Why do you by default take the perspective that I am suggestion illegal tactics,
    only to go ahead and suggest the exact thing my input would mean given the opposite?

Not to get hostile or anything, but this actually bugged me.

3. Kcibrihp-Esurc
    Razordon

Kcibrihp-Esurc Well-Known Member

Carnosaur Tactica (Basic)
    Well here's the link to the tactica based on what I've compiled from my own brain and some of your Ideas (Sorry If I didn't include your ideas I was tired and I will be editing it to include more Ideas) some of your Ideas were already on ZaGreekie's page so I won't put them on my thread

Feel free to Comment!

4. Kinks
    Jungle Swarm

Kinks New Member

No sorry. On re-reading I didnt make that clear. It should read "another unit".
    It was the capitalisatio of FAR that threw me. Which was clarified by one of the other users.

5. Kcibrihp-Esurc
    Razordon

Any new ideas people?
    Any games which you have fought with Carnos?
    Any ideas for unit combos?

This thread needs some more life on it! COME ON!

6. NexS1
    Carnasaur

NexS1 Well-Known Member

Coming back to this.

I played a big 3.5k'er last night and got beat (thanks to underordinary saurus warriors). But the reason I came here was because I ran a carnosaur.

Oldblood - Carnosaur (upgrades), Fencer blades, armour of destiny, OTS

I do not recommend this build. +1A is hardly enough to compensate for roll fluffing. and WS3 on a carnosaur doesn't justify 200+ points (and being a cannon target).
    I'm thinking that the following would be a better option:
    Oldblood - Sacred Steghelm, Light armour, Tali Preserve, great weapon/halberd
    OR
    Oldblood - Sword of +2A, l/armour, shield, tali preserve

The only good thing about the carnosaur is the chance at D3 wounds and S7 thunderstomp.

Next time I run a carno, it will be with either Lore of Light (WS/I 10) or high magic(hand of glory), and he'll need to stay within magic range.

I would really love carnosaurs to be awesome, but they're no stegadon, they NEED support

7. Man0waR
    Kroxigor

Man0waR Member

I love the carnosaur but its bad monster, very bad monster.

I have included one in a league at 2400. Oldblood on Carnosaur + Slann.
    I didn't want to play the league with a hardcore list with cowboys and wanted to field nice models.

I'll be reporting how it goes.

first battle against skavens his performance was so poor.

Charged Clanrats and force to flee due terror, redirecting in a combo charge w/ Ancient Stegadon against Ogre Rats with some custom handlers...

The Carnosaur didn't survive the combat and missed all his attacks.

Let's see next game.

8. SilverFaith
    Terradon

SilverFaith Member

Since we had a discussion on mounts a few days ago at my local gamestore, I did some numbercrunching here

Carnosaur vs Sun Dragon
    Let's assume swiftstride, because that makes them equal in points.

Carnosaur have more movement, but isn't a flier, so the sun dragon wins here. It does make it suscepticle to heavens spells, which is worth a mention. swiftstride helps alleviate this a bit.

Sun Dragon have +2 WS, which will almost never make attackers hit at 5+ outside of fear, so WS3 and WS4, it'll have the advantage, and then again vs WS7.

Carnosaur have +2S. That's a massive difference.

Sun Dragon have +2I, which is a huge benefit against other monsters.
    T, W and A are the same

Now, special rules. Both have terror. Sun Dragon have 1 point better Scaly skin save. Now, I said attacks are the same, but they are not. If the Carnosaur does even 1 unsaved wound, it gains frenzy, and cannot lose it again. Being coldblooded and Ld8 (because of the oldblood), this is rarely an issue from my experience.

What it comes down to, at least for these two mounts, is the diverging special rules. Aside from fly, the sun dragon has a breath attack, which makes it fairly good against infantry and hordes.

The Carnosaur, with it's +2S, also has D3 wounds, which makes it BRUTAL against multi-wound models or monsters. Ogres direct EVERYTHING at killing this monster before it hits cc, because if it does, everything they have start dying horribly.

I know this particular monster cost less than the carno, but my recent battlereport was me against 2 elves on griffons. the griffons are actually surprisingly close in cost to a naked carnosaur, if it takes all upgrades. Since these are +1s on the charge and ASF, they pretty much always have these upgrades, which puts them at 25 points below the carno. Even when charged, I shredded them. They don't have the attacks to deal with another monster, much less a character like the oldblood, which means the carno will almost invariably counterattack, which hits on 4s, on wounds on 2s, multiplying into d3 wounds. Without frenzy, that's an average of 1,6 wounds, before multiwounding. With frenzy, you instead get 2 wounds, which hon average becomes 4 unsaved wounds. That's the best possible outcome a griffon, or even a sun dragon, can hope for, because that's their amount of attacks. the best outcome for a Carnosaur is 15 wounds, so even considering "best case scenarios" here, the Carno still pulls its weight.

The carno isn't exactly a godlike monster. It's not a star dragon, that's for sure. But the fact that it can actually do pose a threat to it, despite costing almost half of it, is pretty amazing in my opinion.

The only bad thing about the Carno, or any other monster, star dragon included, is that Cannons can reliably one-turn-kill them. But that's the way the game currently is, unfortunately.

9. discomute
    Terradon

discomute Well-Known Member

Best use for a carno is to get one and paint it real good and attach to to the top of your hat

Strut around and people will be like "Hey, nice hat"

10. Skinquisitor
    Kroxigor

Skinquisitor Member

Guys! I was thinking of a good carno build mostly against woc, that army is the most challenging for me to beat. I came up with the following idea: yeah, the carno sucks at ws and i, so it needs to be boosted, there must be a high loremaster slann to provide hand of glory, at least it will have ws 5 on average, wich makes it potent against most of the monsters (i 4 is still meh, but way better then 2). Sooo, if he has increased ws and i, what does it mean? The riders is increased as well. To get the most out of this, the oldblood cannot have gw. Looking trough the weapon list available to the oldblood, there are 2-3 potent weapons for him: Ogre blade: with a charmed shield, talisman of preservation, can be a solid build, same s as gw, but with the chance of hitting first with the increased i5. Well, most if the characters will have higher I, so id skip this. Piranha blade! Thats a pretty weapon, both the monster and the rider having d3 multiwound is more than dangerous to any foe. Again, a charmed shield, potion of strenght(to make sure he does many wounds from hits,and results noas) and a dawnstone, if someone goes for the rider. Most people go for the monster first, ignoring the rider for at least one turn. Here comes the last, and probably the best: blade of realties! Why not? Duh-huh, Im a 1+ 3+ almost immortal chaos lord/exalted hero, you cant hurt me. Those guys equip almost every time gw, so I strike first, and what happens is: death! :O Okay, not really, but the rider can do almost 2 wounds on average, then on a lucky day, the carno finishes the rest. What do you think? Does it have a potential, wich worth testing it, at least?

11. Tecuani
    Saurus

Tecuani Member

It has potential, but if you're primarily concerned about boosting WS and I lore of light is a lot more effective than high magic-it has one spell which boosts WS and I to 10, and a second which grants an extra attack and ASF, either of which are individually a lot better than hand of glory, and a level 4 slann has a good chance of getting both. Blade of realities is handy against a 3+ ward save with rerolls, but against pretty much anything else the +3S giant blade will be better for significantly less points

12. Skinquisitor
    Kroxigor

Skinquisitor Member

Its not sure you get both of those spells, while with loremaster of high magic grants hand of glory for sure + keeping mind that the army has other units, it makes me more sence to take high magic. Giant blade? Hm, why not a beast lore? +3t and +3s-+3a spell makes this guy into a killing machine :) Then i could take one or two spriests with beast aswell, one with power scroll to go for becoming a dragon;) And ofc, an engine of the gods is an auto include now!

13. Man0waR
    Kroxigor

Man0waR Member

You will need some deffensive augment / hexes if you want your carno to survive.

Wyssans or Iceshard Blizzard.

A new game I played with Carnosaur, it did better than the last time.

I run the flank in one turn with march & walk between worlds and placed 1" from a trebuchet, next turn destroying it and the next making a rear charge to a big unit of grail knights, making 'em panic due 3d6 terror check and catching them with a skink priest haha.

Next game will be against VC or WoC.

14. Skinquisitor
    Kroxigor

Skinquisitor Member

Well, the dual carno with tetto can work;) plenty of wyssains and iceshards from 3 priests;) plus target saturation also helps(2 ancients).

15. Kcibrihp-Esurc
    Razordon

As my Dad who plays Brettonnians and is sitting next to me pointed out "Grail Knights are immune to Psychology don't expect that to happen twice"

16. Man0waR
    Kroxigor

Man0waR Member

I Searched through the AB of Bretonia and didn't found the rule.
    Their special rule was magical attacks and any model could issue challenge as if they were champions.

Whatever they were already doom by a front Temple guard Charge and flanking Oldblood Carnosaur.

17. Kcibrihp-Esurc
    Razordon

It's in the Grail Vow, each Vow has an effect

18. Man0waR
    Kroxigor

Man0waR Member

ok, I'll check it next time I can get the book in my hand and tell my rival we did it wrong :S

Anyway this thread is about Carnosaurs. Bloodrorar is one of their best uses.

19. Kcibrihp-Esurc
    Razordon

Agreed

Yep, don't worry about it first time just avoid charging Grail Knights.

20. Man0waR
    Kroxigor

Man0waR Member

Why I should avoid hitting the flank of grail knights in my turnn with an OTS Oldblood Carnosaur and a charge in the front with Razor Banner TG and a magic phase to be set up?