1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Celestite weapon rules check

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by PabloTho, Mar 24, 2020.

1. PabloTho
    Razordon

PabloTho Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I've got a quick question about the celestite weapons of our Saurus heroes:

Celestite weapons have a built-in rule that allows hit rolls of 6 to cause two wounds instead of one.

If, for example, I make my Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur use this ability on himself, does that mean that attacks with his Celestite Warspear cause three wound rolls instead of just two if the hit roll is a six?

To make it even more complicated, what happens if this Scar-Vet is using the Sword of Judgement? Does that mean that one of these three wound rolls is resolved into D6 mortal wounds, but the other two carry on as normal?

This has happened in two games for me now, and both times my opponent has claimed that these exploding hits do not stack.

Lizerd and LizardWizard like this.
  2. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

If the ScV uses his command ability on himself then 6's to hit with his Celestite weapon will generate 2 extra hits. If he has sword of judgement then one will deal d6 mw and the attack sequence will end for that attack. Then it will generate two hit rolls which will proceed through the normal attack sequence of wound rolls and saving throws. The extra hits do not have a hit value, as they are automatically generated and not rolled for.

3. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

Grotpunter Well-Known Member

There is a FAQ on this exact interaction with exploding 6s and Sword of Judgement. LizardWizard above is right.

When it comes to situations like this with your opponent, ask him/her why the abilities shouldnt stack. Is there any indication in the rules that would suggest they dont stack? Or is it just a “gut feeling”? The second part is worthless in AoS - You have to go by the rules. I see so many people saying X doesnt work, but they cant explain why. It just doesnt in their mind.

There is zero indication that two different sources for the same kind of buff wouldnt stack, so a 6 to hit would totally produce 2 additional attacks. It isnt any different than getting +2 to hit from different sources.

4. PabloTho
    Razordon

PabloTho Well-Known Member

@Grotpunter - it does seem like they usually go off gut feeling! I had my own gut feeling that this had been FAQ'd as you mentioned but I'm too unconfrontational to dispute these things.

It isn't usually something I get annoyed by, as generally when I'm rolling enough sixes for my opponent to kick up a fuss, the hero being attacked is well and truly dead regardless of how the rules are bent!

5. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

Grotpunter Well-Known Member

Just in case you need the specific FAQ:
    upload_2020-3-24_13-52-13.png

Keep in mind that Sword of Judgement is not on unmodified 6s, so if you buff your guy with +1 to hit you can make it go off on a 5+ etc.