1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chamelon Skink Conversions

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Matzotyl, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Finished my 30 skinks on with temple guard atm along side converting a cold one rider and Gor Rok, can't wait to get to my single character models as I will be trying to replicate my early days of painting and I might even atempt to enter the Golden Demons at some stage (I did enter years ago and won best in store for my diorama) , although the painting side has changed alot over the 25 years all edge highlighting now :(

2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

All of GW's recent releases have been in plastic. When was the last time you saw a new Finecast release?
    Just remember that a sly opponent can deploy in such a way that you don't have space to scout your camo skinks... especially that many of them. Of course that is also largely dependent on how many points you are playing and on what sized table.

3. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Shrug. I have been paying very little attention to GW releases for a great while. Is that Skink-Slann Palanquin plastic or resin or FC..? (the one with feathers instead of horns...)

4. Crowsfoot
    Slann

If you mean Tetto' eko he is a FC model.

5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Unfortunately this is true. At the time of the Lizardmen release, GW was still doing Finecast. But the End Times, Wood Elves and Dwarfs have been completely plastic releases I believe.

6. pendrake
    Skink Priest

I had totally missed the new and much larger treemen. Those come on a sideways chariot base now?

7. Matzotyl
    Cold One

Matzotyl Active Member

Made some progress getting a few more of these guys modeled, plus I made up a few Chameleon Stalkers, which are what I'm guessing the equivalent to their Champion.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  8. NexS1
    Carnasaur

NexS1 Well-Known Member

This went from chamo conversions to metal vs finecast real quick!
    I followed a similar process to make my chamo skinks and I agree that it's the only way to go. I even put little frogs strapped to the champions' heads for goo measure.

Also, I hate painting metal models because you have to fully prime them. But if I weren't lazy I'd probably prefer them.
    Also, due to the casting limitations back in the metalcast days, some of them aren't the same scale (ie: high elves)

9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Great job on the Chameleon Stalkers. You're really making full use of that skink kit.

Matzotyl likes this.
  10. Matzotyl
    Cold One

Matzotyl Active Member

Thank you very much! I figured why not model them different so I could use up as much of the extra bits as possible, and help them stand out.

11. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Loving the shield head dress, I think it deserves a spiderman :spiderman:

Matzotyl likes this.
  12. Matzotyl
    Cold One

Matzotyl Active Member

I thought they made a nice touch. Should I paint them like headdresses or should I paint them the same body color as the skinks?

13. JamJar
    Temple Guard

JamJar Well-Known Member

They be some fine Chamo conversions there, can't wait to see more.

Usually I'd say headdresses should be bright and stand out, but for Chamo skinks should they be coloured green/brown to help camouflage them?

You make turning skinks into chamos look too simple. I might have to try making some chamos since I only have 3 metal ones

14. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Could you paint the same colour as the skink but fade to a contrasting colour towards the edges, your options are limitless with colour combos.

15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I would paint them differently to give them a little flair. I can't wait to see them painted!

16. Matzotyl
    Cold One

Matzotyl Active Member

Well, the guy that gave me the idea suggested I paint them some really bright colors, so I was thinking pinks, oranges and purples to help them stand out from the rest of my yellow Lizardmen.

You're too kind, it's really not that hard! Just gotta sculpt the eyes and the tails really. I'm sure you could do it without much effort. This is my first time using green stuff but I'm glad to see the turn out well not just in my eyes, but in the eyes of others as well.

That's what I was thinking too. I'm in need of some nice weather (it's been cold and rainy for the past week or so) where I can take them all outside and give them a good spray coat of primer and get to work. I took some time off today to get some painting my Howdah Crew finished, but where I last left off I only have 9 more skinks to convert before they're ready to paint.

I was thinking on adding headdresses to all the skinks, and just decorating the Stalkers headdresses with feathers. I think it would help them look like they have these decorative collars but I'm not sure of the idea. I do think it looks great on the stalkers, but I'm not sure if it'll look good on all of them. Plus I'm still unsure if I should paint them differently, or the same color as the bodies of the skinks. Thoughts and opinions?

17. pendrake
    Skink Priest

What is different about their eyes exactly? (He asked, cause he hasn't got any C. skinks.) I sit here wondering if embedding round beads in their heads/eyes would help create a C. skink.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  18. Matzotyl
    Cold One

Matzotyl Active Member

If you look at the models of the Chameleon Skinks they do seem to have those extended eyestalks that regular Chameleons have. If you're doing the conversions though, you could completely disregard that. I mean they're your models so do what you want with them XD.

19. Crowsfoot
    Slann

That would work

20. Matzotyl
    Cold One

Matzotyl Active Member

I got the first Chameleon Stalker fully painted today, and the rest are all primed and ready to go. What do you guys think?

I'm going to paint all the chameleons in varying bright colors, I figured the purple and pink would be a cool start. I'll add more pictures as more models get painted. Hopefully I won't be doing them after sundown like this guy so the pictures might have to wait next time haha.

kg1121 and JamJar like this.