1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chamelon Skink Conversions

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Matzotyl, Apr 8, 2015.

1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

It looks really good, I like the purple. The colour the scales works well with the purple skin tone.

A couple of quick suggestions/ideas/critiques...

1. I would recommend painting the head dress in a different colour. I think that would give the model a little more pop IMHO.
    2. Try throwing a wash on the blowpipe to give it a little more depth
    3. Make sure you clean up the model lines on future models, the mold line seems to be showing on the blowpipe (unless it is just a result of the photo)

Overall, I really like the conversion and the paint job. I can't wait to see the rest of the unit. :)

Crowsfoot likes this.
  2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I agree with Nightbringer the headdress in a different colour would help focus your attention.

But he looks amazing ;)

3. Matzotyl
    Cold One

Matzotyl Active Member

The photo is really bad but I did some dry brushing of a very light pink on his underbelly and around the headdress to help break up the solid purple color. I finished him after sundown so I had no natural light to use to shoot the photo so it does look overall poor. I did throw some dark brown over the blowpipe but it's hard to see here. I'll take some better photos during the afternoon tomorrow while the sun is up to showcase it better. I finished the second one today as well. He's painted to match my Carnosaur. Thanks for the tips though, I'll keep them in mind for future models.

4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Cheers, look forward to seeing the second one.

5. Matzotyl
    Cold One

Matzotyl Active Member

Thanks man, my goal here is to paint no two chameleon skinks alike. They're all going to be different.

6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Should make for an interesting looking unit. I would keep one single element (headress or scales, etc.) constant between all the models in order to tie the unit together.

7. Matzotyl
    Cold One

Matzotyl Active Member

I have a limited amount of colors so those are bound to end up repeating, but each one is going to have distinctive patterns on it like different colored stripes and spots and whatnot. I see what you mean though, I'll have to look into a way to keep them similar. Each Stalker has different feathers (I plan on running max of three units of 5 Chameleons) so perhaps each unit will have the same colored feathers on it. Or each unit features the colors of the feathers.

8. Herr Pete
    Cold One

Herr Pete Active Member

I love the conversion idea. I bought 5 chameleon skinks off ebay for a good price but that won't happen all the time so this is a great way to build a chamo skink force. I've never used the GS before so it will be a good way to get into it. Do you have any other photos of these guys?

Cheers

Pete

9. Lawot
    Kroxigor

Lawot Active Member

I painted up some Skinks with a nice camouflage scheme and used them as Cham's in a recent game...but they blended into the marsh so well that I forgot about them for two turns.
    I am now painting my actual Cham's withbright colors, too, forgoing realism for the sake of not feeling like an idiot mid-game.

Also, I think max unit size is 10 for those guys, so take that into account when considering fielding large units. I'd do them in 4 units of 6, since you can't do 2 of 12.

But back to the original topic, I'm glad to see how simple this is! I've got to do some of these conversions, as well.

borkbork likes this.
  10. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

:playful: hehe,
    maybe just paint the back of their bases bright, so only you notice them. :hilarious:

Lawot likes this.
  11. Nukes4life
    Saurus

Nukes4life Member

Hey all, I would love to see these pictures or a short guide on how to do it. This thread is mentioned quite some time and it is a shame it misses the pictures. Thanks in advance

12. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

The pictures were there at some point, @Matzotyl is hardly on the forum these days, but he basically got some green stuff and made a curly tail and made 2 round sticky out eyeballs, he added skink shield on their heads as headdress.

13. Nukes4life
    Saurus

Nukes4life Member

Aah all right, thanks now I have some idea!

14. scubrat
    Temple Guard

scubrat Well-Known Member

Any chance you could reupload those photos if you still have them? I'm thinking of doing a conversion and I was going to follow this guide but the links to the photos seem broken! No worries if not!

15. SimonDread
    Saurus

SimonDread Member

My converta not finished, after base and brush on skin.

16. SimonDread
    Saurus

SimonDread Member

My converts. Just skin Base and brush.

17. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Pics aren't working for me.

18. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Same here :(