1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap second army?

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by StinkySkinky, May 20, 2017.

1. StinkySkinky
    Saurus

StinkySkinky Active Member

So I've got a bunch of lizardmen lined up to make and paint, but I currently have thousands of points of Lizardmen and nothing else. I'm trying to get a friend into Age of sigmar but lizardmen vs lizardmen is pretty boring (I would imagine)

I've always wanted to collect a second army but ideally I'd want one that wasn't such a financial burden.

I've got my eye on the flesh eater counts (That terrorgheist looks insane!) but they seem like a 1k-1.5 army would cost quite a bit.

My other option would be to buy starter set with chaos/stormcast and sell whichever side I don't like the look of (Which would have to be the stormcast they look ugly as hell)
    Any input would be appreciated, thanks :)

Ritual and Bowser like this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I would go with an order army, that way you don't need to play straight Seraphon. I personally have some stormcast, collegiate arcane and Sylvaneth models to branch out my army. A lot of people stay in the mindset of one army, because that's how oldhammer was or that's how 40k was. You will find that you can build better tournament armies with a grand alliance.

Ritual and StinkySkinky like this.
  3. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

The AoS starter box is a great deal. You have to spend 20 bucks or so more to get a 1000pt Khorne army that looks like it is fun to play. I am not sure if there is a cheaper option.

4. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

I always heard ogres were "cheap" because they had mostly bigger models (i.e., one ogre for every three human-sized models). I never did the math though; I am sure some of the bigger models would be expensive.

Undead armies are not cheap, especially if you are going for hordes and hordes and hordes of skeletons and zombies. Unless you can find them cheap online or use a different company, but ten models a box is the main reason I haven't started one yet :(, but might look into Kings of War someday for an alternative.

5. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Which Grand Alliance are Orcs in?

6. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Destruction

Ritual likes this.
  7. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Sniffed around evilBay a little and it looked like plastic Orcs, ...Gobbos, or ...Dwarves are relatively inexpensive. Close to $1 per infantry figure.

Ritual, Warden and Bowser like this.
  8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Definitely not Tomb Kings or Bretonnia.

9. Zirilian of the Claw
    Saurus

Zirilian of the Claw Well-Known Member

Fyreslayers work for a second army.

10. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

I definitely did Bretonnia as my second army, but I bought two starter sets back when they were still being made. They wound up being really cheap for me because now I can mass produce my own resin-cast knights and men-at-arms! :greedy::artist::smug:

Otherwise, since both of these two are now "out-of-print," I agree... :sorry:

Ritual, NIGHTBRINGER and Bowser like this.
  11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Agreed, back in the day, when they were both still in print, they weren't so bad. Now that they are OOP, they are insanely expensive and hard to come by. Case in point:
    [​IMG]

Ritual likes this.
  12. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

So sad to see, the tomb kings were a truly unique army that you couldnt find with many other companies at the same quality. Bretonnians at least can get cheaper substitutes, there are plenty of medieval-knights minis out there.

Ritual and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  13. Aginor
    Slann

well, on the plus side: Old people with armies of Tomb Kings can now make loads of money! :)
    So they can boost their retirement benefits by retiring their old useless 8th ED army as well! :D :D

EDIT: ...and buy some proper army, like SCE or so.

Ritual and Captaniser like this.
  14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That's only a plus if you're the one with the models. Definitely not a plus for those of us that are trying to put an army together.
    18446628_10155286117026112_5118140736166762634_n.png
    Proper army?!!? And as an example you chose the Space Marines of fantasy. Down with Sigmarines, Tomb Kings for (un)life!

That's like saying: you should stop playing football (soccer) and pick up a real sport like WWE wrestling.
    1365796568376.jpg

Ritual, Captaniser and n810 like this.
  15. Aginor
    Slann

Seems like triggering you worked well. :D

Tbh I wouldn't pick SCE either for pretty much the same reasons.

16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Let's not agitate poor old NIGHTBRINGER, he doesn't want to offend too many AoS players with his rantings. :p

Ritual, Aginor and Captaniser like this.
  17. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

Captaniser Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

18. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

165516-batman-bane-meme.jpg

19. Flutterbat
    Skink

Flutterbat Member

I've actually been considering this for a while, and found it to be true. An Icewind Assault box gets you around 1600 points (you can get more or less depending on how you build the stonehorns/thundertusks) of gorgeous models (those stonehorns!) including enough battleline to make a legal army (if you pick the right general) for just $215 (US) msrp, from which you can can knock about 15-20% off if you buy from a reseller. And as a bonus, they're all big, awesomely detailed models, so painting them is a lot less work and lots of fun! This is definitely going to be my second army.

20. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

This Necron army seems affordable...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Could probably convert this to a WHFB or AoS army with some minor alterations.... :p