1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Children of Qukai'Huan - Update: Carnosaur painted

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by totzro, Oct 26, 2011.

1. The Hunted
    Carnasaur

The Hunted Active Member

Re: Totzro's paintlog

Side note on your cold ones...

When I glanced at them, I thought they were chameleon skinks crawling :p. Then I read 'Cold ones'...wait, whut? :p

The Hunted

2. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

I know they are quite funny looking, which I think is great ^^

Here you can see a size comparison with the cavalry base
    C21s-11.jpg

3. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Yea those are the very first generation of cold one sculpts Hunted.

4. The Hunted
    Carnasaur

The Hunted Active Member

I figured :p,

I'm not so familiar with models/modeling/painting and all that :).

Still, If you would remove the sadle, they could go for chameleons. The evil kind of chameleons :p.. :walkingdead:

They look great though, timeless really. (both as chameleons and cold ones ;))

Anyway, don't let me distract this topic!

The Hunted

5. Lazoxoatl
    Saurus

Lazoxoatl New Member

Interesting cold ones ;)

As to the shields: I like that blueish/greyish better. It maybe lacks contrast against scales but the gold one is even more lost against redish color of skin. I quite curious how the jade-shield will look like. I don't think it will work well but maybe I'll be surprised ;)

6. Guardian of Hexoatl
    Temple Guard

Guardian of Hexoatl New Member

Wow! I'm loving the retro miniatures :) Paint scheme looks really nice and the old copper looking shields look good as well. Not too sure how I feel about the lack of a head crest on the Saurus, but regardless, Good job!

7. Jorgta
    Skink

Jorgta New Member

I really like the colour scheme and I agree that jade would look good (although gold look nice aswell, I'm not helping am I? :) )

Cutting the crest of the Saurus looks great and I wish I had seen it before i painted 30 of the buggers.

The old Cold one's looks... strange but I love everything that's retro.

8. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

Nicely done so far. I like the colors. I do like the gold shields but would like to see jade ones as well. Might work out better as the gold and turquoise do tend to blend in with the rest of the model.

9. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Thanks for all the nice comments! I really cheers me up :)

Yes the shield/weapon colors is quite the dilema. I don't really know which way I should go yet.

Today I did some buying, picked up a battalion and a pack of savage orcs for a/the temple guard conversion. Great thing I found out is that there is more than 20 Temple Guard heads in the box, so now I can make 20 TP which is great!

Here is a pic of how far I came today. Obviously more greenstuff work, but I think it's gonna turn out pretty good.

My thought was that I would show some initial converting on the retro cold one riders today. But... my super glue have run dry. Hopefully I will have something tomorrow.

Here is the test with the jadegreen shield/weapon. I think it looks kinda good, it stands out. But I think I want a brighter shade of green. Gonna do some more tests.

And mind you I want this to be tabletop quality. I don't want to have to mix colors as I want to keep a consistently throughout the army.

Cheers!

10. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

That is some very nice contrast on the shield, job well done!

11. Lazoxoatl
    Saurus

Lazoxoatl New Member

Ok, I have to say that green shield looks good. I wouldn't go for lighter (i.e. more jade-like) shade myself, but that just me ;) What I find a little bit weird is the javelin shaft being of the same material as shield and weapons blade. I would go for black (like GW does) or some dark brown wood-like colors.

12. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

great shield. it really adds a new dimension to the model!

13. Ihx-Karaq
    Saurus

Ihx-Karaq New Member

First I was skeptical to the idea of jade, since i have tried it and didn't like it my self. But it turned out great, you painted it far better then me :jawdrop:

keep it up!

14. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Thanks alot everyone! Jade green seems the way to go, I haven't entirely convinced myself... yet. Gonna try out how it looks on the saurus as well. My fear is that is such a focal point that it takes away focus from the rest of the model.

Regarding the shaft being made of jade too. That's part of my fluff for the army that they makes everything they use in their army of this holy stone/material. My howdaa, slann palaquin and cold one sadels is going to be made out of jade/gold as well.

Now I'm gonna go and watch the Inka-gold exhibition which is currently in town, maybe I'll get some inspiration.

See ya all, and thanks again!

15. chameleonwarrior
    Skink

chameleonwarrior New Member

I like the jade shields, they stand out really well.

16. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

imo the shield looks more like obsidian than jade.

But it sure looks very good. :)

web27.jpg

Warden and Bracnos like this.
  17. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Wow! Nice reference, that blade looks awesome!

The Inka exhibition was great, many cool gold bracelets, death masks and etc. I bought the catalogue with all the items in big nice photographs. Great for references!

I also bought me some new super glue and has finally started working on the cold one rider. I like him a lot so far!

I'm gonna add some more bits and pieces, plus the greenstuff need some more working.

[Edit] Some minor updates:

18. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Re: Totzro's paintlog - Update 30/10 - Cold One Rider

Hi again you guys, it has been a busy week at work. Hardly no time to paint my lizards.
    Although my skinks are almost finished, here's a sneak peak:
    ZJG61.jpg

The shields are still missing, that green dot shouldn't be there and the bases are not finished. But soon my first unit will be finished :)

Warden likes this.
  19. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

a tip about modeling scales: you use way way too much GS for each scale. a third or so of what you used is enough. i find the easiest way to get the correct "dose" of GS for scales is to make a small "sausage" of GS and then chip off a tiny bit at a time for each scale. it makes it pretty easy to handle the tiny amounts and to get roughly the same amount each time.

i find it easier to glue on the scales too (i think most ppl dont). what i do is i roll the little bit of GS i wanna use in to a sphere, and then lift it by piercing it slightly with the pointy end of my modelling tool. i take one drop of superglue and put it on my palette and then carefully dip one side of the GS ball in there. you just need to touch the drop of glue very very gently. when you now put on the scale against the skin where you want it it will instantly stick there, but you can still model it to shape. you can even reuse the drop of superglue for about 10 scales before it dries :)

i know it might be a bit odd, but i find it easier.

20. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Thank you, I know I use too much. I find it hard to get the right amount, since they get so small that they become hard to handle. I will try your method. When you separate your small chunks from the gs-roll do you do it with a knife?
    Oh, regarding using super glue, it makes completely sense to me. To only thing I find that gs really sticks to, is other green stuff.