1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Children of Qukai'Huan - Update: Carnosaur painted

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by totzro, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

Re: Totzro's paintlog

i roll the balls with my fingers, but they are way to small for me to be able to attach them to the model with my clumsy fingers. therefore i have to use the tip of the modelling tool for the actual attaching (and gluing).

2. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

really like the skinks

3. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Thanks!

Ok. That's how I do it as well (except for the gluing). I guess I just has to get better of estimating how small lumps of gs i should use.

Speaking of green stuff, does anyone here have any experience with new liquid kind?

4. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

nope, but it is designed for filling gaps and more importantly: the horrible blotches that appear in so many "finecast" models. i have read some reviews, and ppl seem to like it in general.

ps. i like the skinks too. i am not too fond of the very small cold ones, but the skinks are nice :)

5. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

Wow, I've been so busy at work and finishing up my Saurus conversions that I haven't been on here as much as usual and had to read up on your blog today to see how far you've come - great work! I love the way the old shields are looking. I sorta went the other way, since I am using the old Saurus I felt I had to use the new shields to bring my minis "up to date" - but if I had the new minis I think using the old shields looks awesome. I liked the more blueish tone over the green, but I guess my vote came in too late :)

On using glue with Greenstuff, I rarely do that, but sometimes you have to. It's better when you don't, for a couple reasons: first, any part of the putty that has glue on it will immediately turn too hard to shape; and secondly, if you glue greenstuff to your sculpting tool you will make a mess and it's hard to clean off. A third reason that none of you probably care about is that cyanoacrylate ("super") glues will turn liquid and debond under the heat and pressure of vulcanizing, and back in the 'old days' when minis were made of metal in spin cast molds of vulcanized rubber, if you used any super glue in your master sculpt it would fall apart during vulcanization and you'd end up with crap. This is obviously not an issue with a one-off conversion.

Oh, BTW, nice job finding those 1st edition Cold Ones! They completely ROCK! Can't wait to see them painted up :)

6. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

I can't believe I haven't seen your work before. I have some similar colors for my skinks. I am using the new model shields. I have been painting them green. I had also planned on painting tips of the javs jade. But I being a new painter couldn't get it right, and I hated how they turned out. I took a little break from my army because some other things weren't turning out either. Since your Orange turned out better than mine and your jade looks perfect, I was hoping you could share how you got the effect.

7. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

@lord tsunami: Ok, I think I gonna pick some up when they got em in stock again in this town.
    I agree that the saurus looks a tiny bit large on the cold one. Your comment made me think if I should try and put skinks on them instead, hm....

@T`hinker`er: Thanks!
    Ya, too late for voices now ;) I think mixing old with new is the way to do it. I think it's great to break up a new model with some old parts, kind of reminding people and myself the history of these models and this game (and a time when WD had some substance...).

I've no plan on doing mold of my figurines so I don't think the glue will be a problem.

The cold one has proven some problem for me, I'm not sure in which colors I should paint it, but it's a great figure.

On another note people, how does your sculpting tools look like? I've got some for clay sculpting and the one from GW. but I find that one to be a bit thick and i don't like that it's so blunt. I'm thinking about getting some dentist tools.

@danbot: Thank you very much! I've seen your skinks, they look very good!
    I'll be glad to share my process, I don't have any proper pictures of every step, but I'll get you a quick rundown and maybe when I paint my next batch I can do a proper tutorial out of it :)

For the skin:
    I start with a basecoat of macharius solar orange over a white prime. I love these foundation colors.
    Then I give it a wash of baal red (lot's of baal red) this gives me my basic shading.
    Next comes a highlight with blazing orange. After that I give a fine highlight of golden sun, in this step I alternate of drybrushing and painting fine lines of highlight.
    Over that comes a similar step of bleached bone, focusing mainly on the face.

After that I give the whole model a wash of baal red again to blend the colors, after that I go in and paint some defining highlights with bone and yellow. Plus I work on spots I think I don't got enough shadows with baal red and mechrite red.

That's how I make my skink skin, on the saurus I start with a basecoat of mechrite red to get a slighter darker skin tone. I don't mix any of my colors, I know I could get some better results but I want to get the same result on every model and therefor no mixing - the washes does that for me.

And for the jade:

Start with a basecoat of orkhide shade, give it a wash of thrakka green. Then I follow up with a drybrush of goblin green (very little paint on the brush) and then a drybrush of rotting flesh. Last I give some fine painted highlights of rotting flesh, follow that up with a wash and do some fine highlighting on the hardest edges.

Ske scales are: enchanted blue, asurmen blue, hawk turqoise, ice blue and bleached bone.

As you see, the "key" to my success is washes, washes and washes :smug:

Here's a pic after the first wash of baal red:
    T51ZG.jpg

See ya!

8. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

skink cold one riders = win! :)

9. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

I went out and got the colors last night. Now I just need some time. Haha

10. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

I'll see what I can do about that ;)
    Great, be sure to post how it goes!

And here they finally are, my first fully painted unit of skinks! :D
    Vr2WF.jpg

Bracnos likes this.
  11. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Seriously, what a terrific unit! I really think the jade came out great. I'm thinking I'll have to steal it for something. I like the flavour the non-primitive shields give, as well (especially the bloke that's had an arrow come through his shield. Poor fella looks scared out of his wits).

12. CaptainObvious
    Jungle Swarm

CaptainObvious New Member

great stuff indeed! keep going like that and you will have a fine looking army :)

13. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Thanks for the nice comments :)

I've been busy putting my stegadon together lately, but since I'm entering that one in the painting competition I'll have to wait to show it to you.

But this I can show. I've been trying to find out how to color my beasts in my army a lot. So today I made 5 different test with my unused cold ones. Which do you think I should go for?

(don't mind the missing tails, I'm using them for the savage temple guards)

I'm kinda leaning toward the purple one. Going for something like this:
    257796482_0ddcef52af_o.jpg
    Think I've to pick some colors up and try again.

14. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I quite like the orange spotted one in the bottom row actually.

15. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

16. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

I'm digging the yellow-orange one as well. Adds enough contrast, and it feels pretty jungle. The purple and blue one is tops as well though, you wouldn't go wrong with it

17. Ihx-Karaq
    Saurus

Ihx-Karaq New Member

The blue/green one or the purple one! Do you have the white spot under the chin as shown on the real lizard? that would be awesome!

18. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

i would go for the green/blue or the purple blue

19. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Thanx for all the comments and help, I think I'm gonna go for the pruple scheme.

Gonna try it out today on this guy!

Yes Lord Tsunami, I went for the skink riders! :D
    And when you think about it kinda makes sense, the skinks handle every other animal don't they?

20. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Well they rode Cold Ones in 5th edition as well. :smug: