1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Children of Qukai'Huan - Update: Carnosaur painted

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by totzro, Oct 26, 2011.

1. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Re: Children of the lost jade city Qukai'Huan - totzros pain

Oh I miss the dogs of war army, so much characterful units!

Silly skink names are part of the fun of them, I love skinks in all forms. Hmm, should try to field an all skink force. To bad that I like saurus as unit so much.

Well, managed to get some paint slapped on this fella, he's been sitting on my desk for ages:

2. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

Nice. I love how you make all the Jade colors. Very realistic.

Is this Tetto'eko or just a Priest?

3. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

Your skills really show in the jade high lights. You freehand that? How? Still looking for tips to improve mine.

4. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

heeesh shooo cute! :D

5. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Wow, did I post that last post in april? That's a bit sad, I've been so busy at work I have hade no time to paint at all. But now I've vacation and can paint again, yay.

This week I've been painting mine slann. When I saw ZaGreekies excellent palaquin conversion I got so inspired that I wanted to do it myself.

I settled for the yellow color on the slann as I wanted something stood out from the rest of my army but still tie to it. Well here he is:

6. Anton_S
    Temple Guard

Anton_S Member

Very nice Slann, good work!

7. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Thank you very much Anton!

8. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Hi again, I have a friendly game coming up next sunday and I've taken on me the quite daunting task to show up with a fully painted army. Deadlines are always best for med when it comes to painting.

We're playing 1500 pts.

And since I've gotten me a puppy last week I find that I have suprisingly much free time. He wakes me up at 6, sleeps a lot and I need to stay home and on duty. Quite plenty time for painting.

One goal with this 'challenge' is to improve my painting speed. I've come to the realisation that you can't spend forever on 'rank-and-file' models, their overall look comes in numbers not in individual models. I've tried to minimize my layers and be more effective.

And this last 2 days I've managed to paint 15 saurus and have now completed my first saurus unit (the unit filler and one saurii was already painted).

What I have left:

16 skinks (incl. command)
    2 kroxigors
    2 salamanders
    8 handlers
    1 scar vet

9. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Great basing on the slann, very vibrant. There's a lot of jade on the model, but it really makes the slann itself (and the banners) pop. THe slann himself is great, good highlights and shadows, the tones are spot on.

Nice work getting those saurus done so quick. They look great; I wouldn't have said they'd been painted in 2 days by looking at them, so well done.

... Is that standard crooked, or just my eyes?

10. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Thanks Mossy! I'm gonna try and some of the slann basing (mainly the ferns) on my other models.

I was actually worried about that the whole palaquin being in jade, but as you say it really helps to put the viewers focus on the slann himself and make him pop. The paintjob is mostly a combination of washes and drybrushing, the slann has great texture and was a delight to paint.

The standard looks crooked doesn't it, but it isn't IRL. I think it must be the work of the lens. I need to get a proper macro lens.

Now I'm gonna start working on the skrox unit. Wish me good luck!

11. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Progress!

I painted up these two beasts yesterday (had to wait til morning to get good light to take photos).
    Today it's all about skinks.

The krox are a pretty straightforward afair, tried to make them a little darker than my skinks and saurus.

12. PossumCraft
    Skink

PossumCraft New Member

Re: Children of Qukai'Huan - Kroxigors done 18/7

Really love the scales on their backs! They look almost crystalline.

Did you do some conversion on the guy with the ballhammer, or are those the scales he comes with?

13. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Thanks!

The scales on the big guy are the ones that are included ;) I belive all the scales on the new kroxigors look like that.

14. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

I was a bit dismayed when I noticed that I had, without knowing, used the same colour scheme as you, but seeing your awesome conversions my annoyance changed into awe. Great dynamic poses and
    beautiful colours, all in all very good job! Hope to see more!

15. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Well, great minds think alike, right? ;)
    I hade a look at your saurus and they look very nice, and thank you for your kind words!

My road to having a fully painted army this sunday goes ever forward, today I put the final touches on my skrox unit.

This is my favourite lizardmen model, and possible my favourite mini in the whole warhammer range:

Here's another shameless steal I did aswell. Credit goes to SanDiegoSurrealist for the excellent idea. When I was in the store I couldn't resist picking the gobbo mini up, and I love skink characters. The head is from the steg kit, the banner from my bit box, the tail is made from green stuff. He will probably count as a standard bearer in my next chohort unit.

I also painted a scar vet (that new model that I don't really like) but I didn't manage to get any good pics of him.

Now it's just 2 salamanders and 3 terradons (which I've decided to include) left!

16. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Re: Children of Qukai'Huan - Update: Skrox unit 20/7

Wow, I actually did it, today I finished the last pieces to my army. Didn't really think I could it.
    These two last week I have painted more than the last six months! It feels great!

It's gonna be extremely fun to show up tomorrow and play with a fully painted army, yay.
    I'm gonna try and get some army pictures.

Well enough rambling, here's the last units:

Terradons, fun to paint. You can't see it in this pic but there are purple stripes on their backs.

Salamander 1, tried som OSL, don't know how well it turned out to be honest...

and salamander 2. This one is quite fun, I didn't have time to convert another like the first one. So I digged through my bitz box and found this salamander body without head and a leg.
    A cold one head and a leg later and voila a fully functional salamander!

Now I gonna get me some sleep to prepare me for tomorrow.

See ya!

17. parrot
    Cold One

parrot New Member

Re: Children of Qukai'Huan - Update: Terradons and salamande

just love both sallys :D. I really like the flash on the first salamenders face.

18. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Wonderful salamander conversions! Actually makes me think the second one is when he's not breathing fire and the first one is when he huffs and puffs and is all ready to release the flames. And I think the OSL is rather well done, my only critique is that it's the same colour as the dorsal fin. On the other hand, it makes the fin seem like it's made out of energy...

19. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Thank you!

Thanks very much! Haha, that's actually a quite nice idea :) Yeah I know that is a bit weird, maybe should have chosen another color of the flame, but's cool that you like the effect. I'm definitively going to try it some more.

Maybe have a handler that is going up in flames! ^^

The metal ones are great models but you know it's nice to have variations. I'll probably have 2 more sallies, then I'm going to convert 6 more handlers and mix and match them between all 4 salamanders.

Right now I am working on test base for my upcoming chameleons, watch this space for updates :)

20. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Double post, sorry...

My camera is out of batteries (and I can't find the charger) so I'm afraid you have to make due with this crappy ipad picture.

I'm converting my scar vet. He's far from done, the greenstuff need lots of work, but it's a start. I hade only the metal body and all the heads I had where to small so I figured I should give him a bone helmet.

What do you think?

EDIT: Small update and a slightly better picture