1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Children of Qukai'Huan - Update: Carnosaur painted

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by totzro, Oct 26, 2011.

1. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Re: Children of Qukai'Huan - Update: Terradons and salamande

Long time no see!

After almost a year with dabbeling with dwarfs, orcs and even som 40k (and a lot of terrain building) I think it's time for me to get back to my beloved lizardmen with the new release!

Stil have some stuff that need painting. Chameleons, a scar vet, etc. But this release has gotten me excited. Watch this space!

2. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Excellent! Looking forward to it. Don't forget to post the stuff you completed in that time. Is your cube of darkness skink priest ready?

3. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Welcome back! I love your color scheme! It is the mirror of my own army (blue skin, orange scales) though your painting is leagues ahead of mine.

4. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Yeah, I too am interested to see what you'll come up with the new models. Good luck with your painting!

5. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Thanks for the cheering! Tomorrow is the big day, I'm so excited. I think I'll get one of each of the plastic kits.
    In the meantime I've finally started working on the cameleons. Nothing really to show yet. But they are coming along nicely.

My lizardmen army will feature in a blood in the badlands campaign we're running. I'll be needing 3 generals for the campaign, 1 will be my existing slann, 1 a oldblood on the new carno, but what about the third?

Well I so happens to have one of the old 5ed frogs and started to build a paladin for him, I also added a skink attendant and gave him a big feather(/leaf) made of green stuff. I'm looking forward to paint this fella!
    9424090260_537ec1e2f9_c.jpg

Bracnos likes this.
  6. Malebranche
    Saurus

Malebranche Member

Sorry you have probably been asked this a few times but I flicked through the thread and can't find it, how do you get that mossy look? I tried but it looked like a baby threw up on my saurus.

7. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

What do you mean with 'mossy look'? i'm glad to help if I understand your question.

8. Malebranche
    Saurus

Malebranche Member

The green tinge on the Slann palanquin, skink priests staff, dispell plaque etc on the first page. My attempts at a similar effect looked horrible.

9. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Ah right, that's suposed to be jadestone and I belive I have explained it before but I can tell you again. It's made using the old gw paint range but I guess you could convert it easily enough. I start over a white primer with Orkhide Shade. I wash it with thraka green. I then drybrush with goblin green followed by rotting flesh. I then wash it again with thraka green and the pick the finest highlights with rotting flesh. I hope that explains it.

Today I got the new kits and I once again marvel at how intricate GWs kit has become of late. The fact that you need a long instruction booklet baffles me. But the kit themselfs are a joy to put together, especially the carnousaur kit. Will get another later down the line to make a spinosaurus(troglodon).

As I put together the bastilodon I didn't really like the head so I swapped it for a stegadon one I found in my bitbox. It took some filing and hacking to get it in place but I'm happy with it. I cut up the headpiece of the bastidon and repositioned it to follow the lines of the steg head and sculpted new armour plates in the gap.
    The ark of sotek isn't glued to place yet for painting purposes and I haven't yet put together the chotek beam.
    I don't like the look of that one a bit, definitely need to do something about it.

Tomorrow is the first game with the new book, wish me luck!
    9432233474_960a802178_h.jpg

Bracnos likes this.
  10. Malebranche
    Saurus

Malebranche Member

Re: Children of Qukai'Huan - New kits

Thanks.

I like the stegadon head on the bastilodon too, it looks far better

11. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Thanks. I'll try to take some better pics when I work some more on him.
    Played my first two games today with the new lizzies. 1 vs Tomb Kings and the 2nd against Beastmen (at 25% disadvantage).

Albeit not the hardest competition but still it was two very fun and even games. I managed to win both of them and will post full battle reports later.
    Some quick thoughts though:
    -Bastiladon is pretty solid, defo worth its price.
    -Slann is channeling as a madman!
    -High magic is pretty useful
    -Go wyssans wildform!
    -Carno is quite a beast and scar vets even more so.
    -Predatory fighter is a nice buff and gives quite a lot of extra attacks during the game.
    -LD5 on skinks hurts :(

Will hopefully post the battle reports tomorrow, also need to finish those chameleons!

12. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Finished my Bastiladon today!
    Great model, I like how sturdy it feel. I need to make a chotek beam though.
    Feels good to paint lizardmen again. Was a bit concerned with painting the skinks, it was almost a year since I last painted them. But it worked fine I found out.

Now I need to find out a paint scheme for my carnousaur.

9455389425_5ced548167_b.jpg
    9455390199_31cea0be85_b.jpg
    9455390829_01856505a0_b.jpg

13. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Re: Children of Qukai'Huan - Bastiladon finished!

Great looking model, especially with such a nice base! Good work!

14. Divinor
    Cold One

Divinor Member

Looks great!

15. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Yeah, you did well with the base. And the snakes are brilliant! The stegadon head definitely works, you did a great job green-stuffing it.

What're your plans for the bastilodon heads? Could you use one for a kroxigor champion's head?

16. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Thanks a lot guys!
    I made a new tool of a pin needle and an old brush. Made it soo much easier to sculpt!
    No plans for the head at the moment. Though I like to keep a healthy bit box for ideas that might come up.

Today I put up the ultimate geek furniture, a display cabinet!
    9462784791_1cd3f51513_b.jpg

So glad I got this, now my models can sit safely in a cabinet and won't collect as much dust as they would out in the open air. Also it looks ace! In this pic you can see my Orcs and Goblins army which I've been working on this spring.
    Paintblog for them you can find here: http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_Warpath/index.php?showtopic=32837

Today I also finished this dude, a skink priest with the cube of darkness. I got real lucky Vetock kept this item in the book since I had already made the conversion :p

9465565346_f6be000a81_b.jpg

I've now got more skink priests than is healthy but I love these guys and will defo add more in the future.
    Now it's carno time!

Warden and Bracnos like this.
  17. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Re: Children of Qukai'Huan - Update: Cube of Darkness Priest

The cube looks sick! Definitely stealing the idea :smug:

18. Anton_S
    Temple Guard

Anton_S Member

Great looking stuff all round!

Also stealing that cube idea for my next Priest.

19. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

@Old Mossy: No prob, steal away! Thanks!
    @Anton_S: Same goes for you and thank you very much!

I want to give you a sneak peek, I finished my carnousar today as well! Was a blast painting him. I went with a colorscheme from the T-rex in the Jurassic Park movies. Found use Of lots of old green colors I never use. Mainly camo green and catachan green if you remember those. So here he is, I'm going to take better pictures tomorrow when then sun is up.
    9465730661_433ac0aaf5_b.jpg

I also got my chariot base I ordered from GW, today. So now I can assemble my 5ed stegadon. The new slann is gonna see some action too, he's primed and ready! :D

Jorgik, Warden and Bracnos like this.
  20. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

That colour scheme is god damn perfect on the carno, and you painted it well. The base is really good, especially the half buried tile. Maybe could do with an extra plant or tuft of grass?

Are you going to paint pupils on the carno's eyes? Like small black slits like a cat, or something.
    What's going on with the carnosaur's nose? Does he have a horn?