1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chupayotl, Tzunki's army

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by the-graven, Jun 22, 2010.

1. the-graven
    Kroxigor

the-graven New Member

thx n810, I looked at it, and it was usefull, but I'm not gonna wash adn drybush every skink and saurus , that will take way too much time, I'm already a slow painter.
    Washing isn't really necessary, cuz I primed the slann black, and I prime the skinks and sarus blue(navy blue, a little bit darker then enchanted blue), so it's already shaded, but I'm gonna try to drybrush the slann.

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Washing and drybrushing are actually both very fast and effective techniques that can really make your models look a lot better with very little effort. Give it a go, and you will find it makes a big difference.

Really, along with experience, the more time you put into a model the better it will look. The threads you see where every model looks stunning are achieved by multiple layers of careful highlighting on each figure which takes a LOT of time and practice. The more tabletop quality level ones are sticking to techniques like washing and drybrushing, but they still look good especially when you are not looking really closely at them.

I believe Craken already mentioned this, but the first tip I would give you is water down your paints a bit. It takes a bit longer, but several thin coats will always look better than 1 thick coat, it obscures detail.

3. the-graven
    Kroxigor

the-graven New Member

yeah, well one thing I found out was that a fully painted unit even if not every model looks stunnning if they just have a strong coherent theme it looks good.
    In 40k I painted my ork boyz, they looked ugly if you looked at them closely(I had to break a speed record) , but when they were altogether on the board it still looked good from a distance.

ABout washing and drybrushing, I'm first gonna paint a whole unit just the scheme(no washing nor drybrushing), and when I'm ready I'm gonna drybrush and wash them all at once, this will spare time :D

4. the-graven
    Kroxigor

the-graven New Member

By the way here is the topic containing my 8th ed army list, it still needs some tweaking:
    http://lustria-online.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4124

5. the-graven
    Kroxigor

the-graven New Member

Well here are some piccies, the TG took a long time, with all those details, and the pics really don't do him justice, these are my worst pics ever :/ , but well you get how the colour scheme is(same as saursus warriors).
    DSC01287.jpg
    DSC01296.jpg

EDIT: Ouch my eyes, didn't realize the pics were that bad :shifty:

6. Elmquasmash
    Razordon

Elmquasmash New Member

Well, there are three things I am going to suggest to you that helped me with my painting... I am not a very good painter but I'm sure that these three tips will help you: One is to thin the paint a little bit so that it goes on lighter and doesn't lose the detail of the model. Then, I would suggest you use a smaller paint brush so that you can get the finer detail into the model without coloring other parts of the model on accident. Now, both of these suggestions require my third suggestion: patience! :) Trust me, as long as you are willing to put time into your models they will always look a lot better than if you just lapped them together. I really like the color scheme you are going with on your models and what's more, I love that you are painting them :) I hate seeing gray plastic armies of doom! So good on you for painting :) Just have patience with the models is all i'm saying :)

7. strewart
    OldBlood

Yep listen to the above advice. ;) Don't be afraid to make mistakes, and go back over the model and patch it up later.

Also, crack open your devlan mud (if you don't have it, its probably among the most useful pot of paint you can buy) and slop some straight from the pot onto the bone and gold areas. It will take like 20 seconds and really add a lot of depth, especially on the bone.

Elmquasmash is also right, it looks better than unpainted. Keep at it and the more models you paint the better you will get.

8. the-graven
    Kroxigor

the-graven New Member

thx for the advice.
    well i'm still trying things out, for example, i drybrushed the bone helmet with bleached bone, drybrushing is always used to highlight, but i wanted to try something else, and it worked out pretty well(which you can't really see well in the pic :D ), it gives it a old look, though the helmet and the rest of the model certainly need some work.

@strewart: thx for the tip on devlan mud, i see everyone here recommending it for almost everything, so I'm gonna buy some when i'm gonna get that new rule book.

9. the-graven
    Kroxigor

the-graven New Member

Well I guess I'm just gonna make a grey army o' doom first, so i can learn the new 8th edition rules, you can play with a non-painted army, yu can't play with an incomplete army.

10. Elmquasmash
    Razordon

Elmquasmash New Member

True, just don't let it stay gray ;) Its always harder to look at a large pile of dishes and wash them than it is to just do them every day... That almost sounds like a Confucius saying :D

11. the-graven
    Kroxigor

the-graven New Member

I got one question about Devlan Mud: Do you use it to wash, drybrush or do you just paint it on gold and bone??

12. strewart
    OldBlood

It is a wash. Just slop it on the gold/bone areas, it will look good.

13. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I also like the Sepia wash over gold, it gives it a more copery color.
    like Aztec gold would be.

14. the-graven
    Kroxigor

the-graven New Member

How would using both on a piece fo gold look??

15. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

fairly good,
    used sepia for medium shading and delvin for dark shadows and recesses.
    I am fairly sure that what GW does for their gold, also you could
    highlight with a light dry brush of silver on some of the sharper edges...

16. the-graven
    Kroxigor

the-graven New Member

Ok thx, the new rulebook will be in my store at 10th of july, I'll buy both then and some sallie's too, since they got way better.

17. the-graven
    Kroxigor

the-graven New Member

I was a little bit bored, so I picked up my bitzbox, grabbed some bitz and put somehting together, i think it could work very well as Gor-Rok.
    DSC01300.jpg
    DSC01299.jpg
    DSC01302.jpg
    Now I'm gonna bore you all by telling hwo I made it, IN ORDER!!
    Weapon: I wanted a huge weapon bigger then those fromt the TG, so I grabbed a standard and a hand weapon and voila, a weapon bigger then that of a TG.
    Shield: Nothing special, just a shield form CoC I think, with addition of shrunken heads.
    Head: CoC champion head.
    Arm: You probably think, huh hte arm, well I sticked something on the arm, first I wanted to stick the shoulder pads on the shoulders, but it wouldn't fit, so I just sticked one on the upper right arm(arm with the weapon).
    SO you guys are probably bored, but it's not over yet, well actually it is over.
    *knock, knock*, anybody home, probably bored to death, yes I did it i killed everybody with a boring post.

EDIT: the first pic sucks, but I think you can get how it looks

18. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Yea he would probaly make a decent Gor Rok,
    Rember when you go to paint him, he's an albino saurus.

19. the-graven
    Kroxigor

the-graven New Member

Yeah I won't forget that.
    By the way, does anybody know a cool and easy(I'm a beginner) conversion, I wanted to convert something of my bitz(TG and Saurus leftover, only 3 body's and legs) , but couldn't really think of somethinng, anybody got an idea. One conversion I'm certainly gonna do is make kroxi's of rivertrolls, for those who haven't seen the topic containing my army list, I had points left and someone advised to get 17/2 skrox unit I'm gonna do that. And I will have bitz left from the rivertroll kit, especially the fins and fishbones will be usefull.

20. the-graven
    Kroxigor

the-graven New Member

Guess what I was bored again, so I present you a BSB on foot made fo leftovers, the pics are darker then I thought at first, but with a little imagination, you can think of how it looks.He has the BS in his right hand and shrunken heads in his left hand.
    DSC01304.jpg
    DSC01310.jpg
    Anybody already got a nice idea for a chupayotl conversion??, thx in advance,

the-graven :blackalien: :spiderman: