1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Cold Blooded vs the Tomb Kings Casket's Light of Death

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Arli, May 18, 2011.

1. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I saw this discussion on warseer yesterday. I thought I would get it going here. The tomb king's casket has the light of death effect (spell). Anyway, when it goes off, the rule for the effect states that each unit it hits rolls 3d6 adding the total dice for a leadership test (and takes that many causualties/wounds-correct me if I have this wrong).

How does this affect the cold blooded rule and vice verse?

After reading through a lot of arguing (on warseer), two possible outcomes could work.

1. Nowhere in the rules does it state clearly how this would work. Lizardmen get 3d6 for all leadership test dropping the highest.

2. Because it is not addressed directly, it was offered that a 4d6 dropping the highest would accommodate both the tomb king player and the lizardmen player.

Of those two options, obviously, I like the first. But I can see the point on the second as well. Ultimately, until this question is FAQ'd, it will probably fall on the most important rule (die roll).

What do you guys think?

On another note, can Becalming cogitation take 6s away from the casket (priest using it)?

2. ancient stegadon
    Cold One

ancient stegadon New Member

I even play against tomb kings tonight and already had this discussion with the tomb king player we both dicided that the lizardmen rule book says: for all lEADERSHIP TESTS bla bal bla and this is not a leadership test its just D3 dice and the leadership is involved. just like with the signuture spell from lore of death it has no effect.

really bad english in this post hope you understand my point ;P

3. Arli
    Skink Priest

Yes, I understand. Even though the result is related to the leadership (which should involve the cold blooded rule), I think there should still be some benefit from the cold blooded rule.

4. Coatl
    Temple Guard

Coatl New Member

i cant recall the actual wording on the casket spell, but if it says "takes a ld test on 3d6" then we would still get to discard that highest dice because of our cold blooded rule

5. Walgis
    Ripperdactil

Walgis New Member

the problem is that it is actualy a leader ship so you were wrong.

The most posile variant is 2d6 as per 40k faq where one thing said 3d6-lowest the other said 3d6 so faqed it for 2d6 :) i gues this is the only way imho. both cascet and Cb destroys each other brutaly :)

6. Juhaaha
    Razordon

Juhaaha Member

How does the new casket work, whats the specific wording of the rule?

7. walach
    Razordon

walach New Member

plenty of ways to play it tbh... surely this should have been picked up in playtesting... :/ hopefully one for an FAQ.

8. Juhaaha
    Razordon

Juhaaha Member

If its says Leadership test, then I'd play it so that you ignore the highest (coldblooded) and lowest (Light of Death) roll

9. Arli
    Skink Priest

Juhaaha,

Explain what you mean exactly? would you be rolling 4d6 and dropping the highest and lowest? or 3d6 and dropping the highest? Then if you drop the lowest, you are left with one die (not really fair for the tomb kings).

I would think it would be either roll 3d6 and drop the lowest (in favor of the tomb kings but still using cold blooded) or rolling 3d6 dropping the highest (in the favor of the lizardmen).

10. Juhaaha
    Razordon

Juhaaha Member

Could someone please post the exact wording of the rule?

PS. I does cascet have a wizard using it? If not then you cant take 6s with cogitation

11. Arli
    Skink Priest

It says:

Innate bound spell (power leve 5). the casket of souls can use the spell as long as the keeper of the casket model is alive, and the casket of souls has not moved this turn. Light of Deat is a direct damage spell with a range of 48". The target of Light of Death must take a leadership test on 3d6, adding the results together. If the test is passed, nothing happens. Otherwise, for each point the unit failed the test by, it suffers an automatic wound with no armour saves allowed, distributed as shooting attacks.

Once the leadship test has been resolved, roll a d6: on a 3 or more, choose another unengaged enemy unit within 6" of the initial target.

The casket has a toughness of 10 and 3 wounds. The keeper is S3 T3 W1. The 2 casket guard are S3 T3 W1 as well. The guard have the killing blow rule.

12. Cravenus
    Cold One

Cravenus New Member

I assume you resolve the initial effects of the spell on each unit that it comes up on a 3 with(after the 1st).

as far as the rules go, it can be argued 2 ways.
    A) RAW: LM test on 3d6 already, but we get to discard 1 die, so we take the LD tet, and usually will pass with no wounds(since we get to discard, and this is STILL A Ld test).

B) RAI: More of a spiritual interpretation than intended(I'm not arrogant enough to claim any inside knowledge on intention) since both rules require an additional D6 over the 2D6 standard, the test is on 4D6, but discarding 1 high die due to LM's rules.

either way, it's up to you but an FAQ would be nice(they'll probably rule that its just done on 3D6 no discard, they've been doing that to the LM of late so)

13. Juhaaha
    Razordon

Juhaaha Member

Players whos turn it is decides :D

Roll 3D6, dicard highest result, That's how I'd play it. Hopefully they gonna FAQ it soon

14. Arli
    Skink Priest

I do not think that will work as the player whose turn it is will always be the tomb king player. He would say roll 3d6 and keep them all.

I think if you face tomb kings, it should be decided before hand. Or at least roll off for it each turn.

15. Coatl
    Temple Guard

Coatl New Member

no decision necessary imo. the casket rule says take a LD test on 3D6. it doesn't say add a D6 to your normal LD test roll. we already take our tests on 3D6, so it wont affect us as bad with the discarding of the highest D6 roll. that would be RAW. Im all for using RAI to clarify murkiness but im afraid it just doesn't exist in this case. nothing in the spell's rule indicates you adding an individual D6, it just says a total of 3D6. our rule lets us discard the highest dice from all LD tests, which this is.

16. ThakCo
    Skink

ThakCo New Member

I may be late to the party with this, but when in conflict, rules in the army book take precendence over rules in the main rule book. In addition specific rules take precedence over general rules. So since the cold blooded rule and Light of Death ability are both in army books and are in conflict with each other* the more specific rule should be the correct rule. So the cold blooded rule which applies to all Lizardmen units for all leadership tests sounds less specific than the target must take a leadership test on 3d6, adding the results together. So I will be playing it like every other race does. Of course, I would prefer a FAQ as this issue is not clear.

*Don’t believe the rules are in conflict? “The target of Light of Death must take a leadership test on 3d6, adding the results together.” By discarding the highest die with cold blooded you are not adding the results together; you are adding 2 of the 3 results together.

17. Arli
    Skink Priest

I see your point, but in my mind, the Lizardmen rule is just as clear. On ALL leadership tests, Lizardmen roll 3d6, dropping the highest.

18. ThakCo
    Skink

ThakCo New Member

To me both rules are completely clear, but contradictory. The fact that the cold blooded rule applies to all leadership tests makes it a generic rule. The Light of Death applies to a unit, making it more specific. However I fully admit this topic could be interpreted either way, and thus needs a FAQ.

19. Arli
    Skink Priest

Agreed.

20. Lord Cedric
    Terradon

Lord Cedric Member

Not being biased, but if my current ed. army book stated "on all leadership tests roll 3d6 and drop the highest value", and the spell states "use leadership test rolling 3d6...." then that is very specific to me as I would drop the highest value.
    There are several instances where one army book will say "THIS" but another says "THAT". It's simply special to that army. If for each spell or "conflict" had wrote ".... but in the case of Lizardmen.. THIS. And in the case of Dark Elves.. that" the rules for so many things would be very long and even more confusing.
    A leadership test is a leadership test.. whether you are in combat resolution, taking fear or stupidity tests, or magic.. it's still a leadership test.