1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Common point game sizes

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by blackrainbow, Jul 28, 2014.

1. blackrainbow
    Saurus

blackrainbow Member

So getting back into fantasy from 40k... I have no idea what point games I should list build even basic stuff for. The BRB just says Choose a Point Value, my (new and far away) hobby shop staff say fantasy isn't run often enough for them to know, so just show up and wait for folks to play. Here in beautiful Lustria I see 2k and 2.5k referenced often, so that is what I have been building lists for. I actually only have about 800 points but you know, like a good little lizard I'm getting my vitamin D and trying to grow.

As a side note, are there large fantasy tournaments similar to 40k (which has huge ones that generally draw crowds from a few states, if not countries if close)? What are the names of these so I may check them out some more.

What I'm thinking so far, is similar to 40k, just build in 250 point increments, starting from 1k.

Thanks in advance,
    ~BR

2. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

The common game standard is a 2400 pt game. Most tournaments revolve somewhere around there.

1000 to 1500 is a good starter army size. 3000 is usually as big as you'll see for most anything that's organized.

There are a few big tournaments in the states. I can only think of Quake City Rumble off the top of my head, so someone else will have to comment on those.

3. hdctambien
    Terradon

hdctambien Active Member

In the States 2500 is the tournament standard. I suppose 2400 Metric = 2500 English. And our big games are 2999 points (nobody wants to play (against) a Grand Army :-(

I think AdeptiCon is the biggest tournament in terms of states/countries. Each region has several largish GTs that bring in players from nearby states. You can get more info about specific regions here: http://www.wargamersusa.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=23

4. Sleboda
    Troglodon

Sleboda Active Member

Almost all the games I play and the events I attend use 2400. I think it's just for the lazy math of an even 600 points.

I do go to a few 2999 events as well.

I would love to see some 4000+ point tournaments.

5. blackrainbow
    Saurus

blackrainbow Member

Oh excellent excellent! Thank you both, now I can spring-board and grow my army.

With those point frames I can now (re) begin my list building. Cheers.