1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converted COld Ones Painting Blogg, Updated August 22nd!!

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Elmquasmash, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Elmquasmash
    Razordon

Elmquasmash New Member

Hey, well I've been working on my cold one's for a few days now and I thought I would finally start a little painting/converting blog for them. Now, when I bought the 7th edi. rulebook for Lizardmen the very first thing that I thought was 'Oh my goodness those have to be the ugliest mounts I have ever seen..' So naturally, I found some cheep Dark Elf cold ones and began converting as soon as I had some spare time :) Now, four are converted completely and I just finished the body on a fifth and I will be putting his head on tomorrow after all the putty dries (I have a habbit of flattening the scales if I try to do something else with the model ;) ).. Now I will get some pics up of them before I spray on the primer just as soon as I can find my camera cord :jawdrop:

But for now I just wanted to throw out to you guys my idea for the mounts color scheme (the riders I already have figured out as the color scheme will be the same for the whole army), it will be tan/creamy underbellies with green skin/scales (with a couple other little ideas but thats all a secret until I surprise you all with the pics ;) shhhhhhhhh) but what I really want to do different is theme the mounts as well as all of the other monstrous creatures in my army around my favorite animal: the Snow Leopard. Now here is a pic of a snow leopard:

Instead of going with just black and white I am going to use a little more greys, silver, and blues but this is just a basic idea as painting these guys is just.... three days away!! :jawdrop: Anyways, I hope you guys can have fun following my Cold Ones until they are done, I know I'll have fun putting them together! Even though I am still not a very good painter... :shifty: And honestly, this is my first time ever doing anything with green stuff so I'm still getting used to doing things with it.. Today I tried to make some custom horns with it and YIKES its hard!!

2. Bentistos
    Saurus

Bentistos New Member

Re: Converted Cold One Blog

Sounds interesting, I'm keen on seeing how the fur-markings work out on reptiles! Do you know how you'll do it yet? I used a leopard-pattern for my slann's cushion and what worked really good for me was using light brown wash over bleached bone to paint little blobs. Afterwards I painted the edges of the blobs with broken black lines. Just sharing my experience, in case you need it ;)
    I'm curious what you're planning and can't wait to see pics (see, your suspension technique is working!)

3. Elmquasmash
    Razordon

Elmquasmash New Member

Well, for the actual Cold Ones I am leaving them as is (with the modifications to fit the Saurus comfortably on top) and then using the colors of the Snow Leopard to paint them so I'll have almost albino mounts. But with the fur and what you said you raised a point to my next conversion attempt which is to use the idea of the 'Horned One' but not make it an actual Cold One. I would use the rules for it (which I love... who doesnt want a Saurus with a movement of 8 that doesnt have to check for stupidity or worry about frenzy?? :D ) but I am actually going to be making the leopard. I wanted to ditch the normal Idea of all Lizardmen using dinosaurs as mounts :beaver: and give it a more 'Aztec' themed mount and the Aztec's used a lot of art/fur coats that used Jaguars so I'm just going to change it to my cat of choice ;) Now I am a fan of going to tournaments so I need to use all GW models so the model I will be using for the base of it will be the lions from the High Elf Chariots:

high-elf-chariot.jpg

And here you can see someone has taken my idea but for a High Elf Lord/Hero:

he_warlion.jpg

I'd have to cut down the main so its the actual size of a normal neck, but because it might be hollow there I may have to do an extra bit of work in creating either a neck or a spiffy 'we are the Lizardmen' body armor, and then for the fur you just put a thin coat of green stuff over the whole body of the lion and you pull the dull side of a blade through it in small strokes to create little lines over the whole body which end up becoming fur :D In simple terms I mean... ;)

4. the-graven
    Kroxigor

the-graven New Member

Love the idea, can't wait to see the pics.

5. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I think there is an Ogre character who has 2 Saber Tooth Tigers... ;)
    (cant rember the guys name)

6. the-graven
    Kroxigor

the-graven New Member

Oh you mean a hunter.
    Here is he: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1300311&prodId=prod1010005

7. Elmquasmash
    Razordon

Elmquasmash New Member

Thanks for the idea of the sabertooths :) The only problem I have with them is that they are metal:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/ogre%20kingdoms%20hunter/Cyclops777/4%20SALE-TRADE/Wargames%20Minis/Warhammer%20Fantasy/7-09197.jpg

So I would have a hard time converting them, especially since I am still not a very good sculptor/converter.. :/ But in the future I would definitely use them to go with what Bentistos said about making all of my Cold Ones into Leopards. But that's a little further down the line when I am a MUCH better painter and such. But thanks guys :) I'll try not to let you guys down too much ;)

8. Elmquasmash
    Razordon

Elmquasmash New Member

So here are a few snapshots of the WIP Cold One Cavalry. They are done with the converting so now all that's left is the final assembly and painting! Plus I need to finish cleaning the paint off of the riders ;) Anyways, here they are!

DSC_0953.jpg

DSC_0948.jpg

DSC_0950.jpg

Now to get down to business and get them painted :/ This is always the part where my spirit gets broken... At least the conversions didn't turn out terribly.. The only two things I don't really like is that the scales are a little more rounded and arn't flat like a normal model's scales are and that the necks will be a tiny bit longer than the normal necks because by making the body larger to accommodate the Saurus Knight I had to make the necks larger as well to keep things a little bit more proportioned..

ENJOY!! As soon as paint gets on there it won't look anything pretty o_O

9. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Re: Converted Cold One Blog.. Updated with WIP pics!!

Well, they look very awesome so far! Great work.

10. Elmquasmash
    Razordon

Elmquasmash New Member

Thanks Strewart, did I ever tell you that your eyes sparkle like diamonds in sky? :)

So I was laying down the primer and I must say, I am very excited to paint these little buggars.. I'll have pics of them primed in a few hours! I did get a little over-excited on one of them though and directly sprayed the primer on :/ I'm going to have to paint it vewy vewy cawefully so I can bring out enough detail so the lack of detail isn't as noticeable :( Unfortunately I paint like Picasso but not on purpose :jawdrop:

11. the-graven
    Kroxigor

the-graven New Member

Ok just one little question: Are you gay?
    Just curious :D

12. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I think hes been inhaling a bit too much paint and glue on those cold ones. ;)

Thank you though, I always considered my eyes more like emeralds nut diamonds are cool too!

13. Elmquasmash
    Razordon

Elmquasmash New Member

Jajajajaja no I'm not gay :p I'm actually getting married in sixteen days! So I hope to get these Cold Ones done before I go so you guys don't have to wait an extra two and a half weeks to see them ;)

14. the-graven
    Kroxigor

the-graven New Member

Is the bride a female???

15. Elmquasmash
    Razordon

Elmquasmash New Member

Yes... -.-

16. the-graven
    Kroxigor

the-graven New Member

Sorry, I just find it hard to believe.
    Ok I'll stop teasing :D

17. BezZeMad
    Cold One

BezZeMad Member

I is very scared now!
    Please take your disturbing complements elsewhere.

Anyway, Those Cold Ones are lookin' pretty nice, please finish them before the big event so we can see 'em.

Cheers, Bez

P.S. I suppose 'tis my solemn duty to say congratulations, or something like that.
    May you rest in peace, ahemn!

18. the-graven
    Kroxigor

the-graven New Member

Oh yeah forgot to congratulate on your marriage, congratulations :D

19. Elmquasmash
    Razordon

Elmquasmash New Member

Boo.... Sorry for taking so long to get pics up :/ I'll be SURE to get some up tonight! I have some of them just Primed and then a few of them after a base coat or two..

did i say tonight? i meant tomorrow night ;)

20. Elmquasmash
    Razordon

Elmquasmash New Member

Here are a few pictures of the painting that is going down so far.. I was losing patience (it was 95 degrees and I had no source of wind and was very very thirsty so patience was easy to lose ;) ) so I got a little out of hand with the scales base coat but the lower body one came out nicely.. Unfortunately the poor job on the conversion left me with weird bumps and so on instead of scales which is REALLY apparent the lighter the colors get.. I'll be re- doing the base coat on the brown and everything (this time with some patience involved) and then I'll start getting to the highlighting.. I hope you guys enjoy!! These are my first models I've painted in a very very long time... And I was never good at painting to begin with ;)

And if you notice on the individual Lizard... I HATE the crests that they gave the Saurus... and on this model it was particularly bad with the nose ring and all so I green stuffed my own crest.. It isn't all that great but I just thought I would point it out ;) I'm still getting used to all of this... I was always a 'dip the model, paint the armor, and paint the weapon one color' kind of guy before but some recent imagination has made me try to change :p

The whole Unit:
    DSC_0962.jpg

And a Couple shots of one of the guys who has the lower body base coat done:
    DSC_0966.jpg

DSC_0967.jpg