1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting "up?"

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Zadocfish, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Zadocfish
    Skink

Zadocfish New Member

Basically, I'm considering getting started in the game again, and the only option I'm interested is (what else?) the Seraphon. They're like anti-daemons! They hate them almost as much as I do! And they look great.

What I'm really interested in, though, are Skinks. Skinks everywhere, Skinks for days. I've figured out my first army along those lines; I'll just buy 3 boxes of Skinks, glue, primer, and some Green Stuff (or the generic-brand equivalent). I'll post the prospective army list and its 1000 pt upgrade for down the road in the appropriate section. But, for the Priest, I was figuring on taking one of the two leftover Skinks, surgically taking apart the model with a hobby knife, and rebuilding it with epoxy to turn it into a Skink Priest. I've done similar before, so I know I CAN do it, but... well...

Now, my LGS says they're fine with proxies so long as it's clear what they're supposed to be. But... how does the community as a whole feel about the process? I don't want to be seen as a "cheater" for taking a grunt and making it a boss, if that's seen as "cheap" in some way.

Would anyone here have a problem with that sort of thing? How far do conversions go, here?

Crowsfoot likes this.
  2. Bracnos
    Carnasaur

Bracnos Well-Known Member

This is a question that has been asked by many. I've asked myself as most of my model's are all kitbash. Fir the most part the community is happy as long as it looks like the model its representing(dont just put a saurus down as say thats you slann) effort and quality trump having official model. Iys your hobby have fun. Proxy is hated for it makes it sound like your taking a lego toy or a can of soda and saying thats you carno and basti. So kitbash good to go proxy is mainly hated...

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    Saminator likes this.
  3. Zadocfish
    Skink

Zadocfish New Member

Got it. Well, this is a GW model to a different GW model, so "Kitbashing" or "Converting" sounds more appropriate than "Proxying", anyways.

His name shall be a pun and I shall love him.

4. Bracnos
    Carnasaur

Bracnos Well-Known Member

Yah for a visual example would be.... 20171014_103705.jpg This is my engine of the gods (once its done)
    For the most part þhis is ok (but there are a few hobbyist that only want people to use yhe officeal models...just dpnt play woth them)

But this is hated 20171014_103745.jpg If i slapped this out saying its my trogladon

Seraphage, Bowser and Saminator like this.
  5. Zadocfish
    Skink

Zadocfish New Member

That is hilarious. Maybe I'll post some pictures once I get started; could make it more interesting.

Bowser likes this.
  6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I think you may be treading on @Bowser 's territory!

Seraphage and Bowser like this.
  7. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Kitbashing and converting is a fundamental part of this hobby, if it’s clear what the end model is I don’t see a problem as it should be encouraged to convert.

tom ndege likes this.
  8. Slannta's Little Helper
    Kroxigor

Slannta's Little Helper Well-Known Member

Converting on a basic level is the same as painting your army - it makes it yours and unique. If everyone did exactly the same army, exactly the same models and pose and paint scheme it would be a much more boring hobby. Personally I love a good proxy the above example is far from what I'd say is a good proxy but I've seen one or two passable figures that work well in the lizardmen armies.