1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Core Competency approaches! Skink cohorts

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by wappellious, Nov 9, 2009.

1. wappellious
    Temple Guard

wappellious New Member

Yes, the tournament is this weekend!

I have finished all the terradons (pictures at some point, I promise!), but at the moment I am busily trying to finish all four skink kroxigor units! I have two of them finished now.

Some pics:
    RedSkinksSideViewMultiviewR.jpg

RedSkinksTopViewMultiviewR.jpg

TurquioseSkinksMultiviewR.jpg

TurquioseSkinksTopViewMultiviewR.jpg

I hope these pictures are OK. It has been very difficult to post images here lately

Attached Files:

2. Sebulba
    Temple Guard

Sebulba New Member

Those look amazing! How long did it take you to finish the bases?

I really like your model with the skull helmet. Is that a bloodbowl model or where did you get that from?

What's your reason for putting so many of these skink/kroxigor units in your tournament army?

3. wappellious
    Temple Guard

wappellious New Member

Thanks for the kind words! The one kroxigor is a Blood Bowl figure. I have one or two more of those, but I am already sculpting 4 kroxes for my ultimate Skink Tank unit! :pigeon:

Anyway, I should say that I use the Skrox units all the time, even in non-core comp lists. It is amazing how much even veteran players underestimate what these guys will do with the proper support. The fear the speed, the Fear causing, shotting, high leadership and static combat rez abilities. When combinged with EotG's and plenty of terradons, you can combat many different armies with success.

As far as the tournament goes, you are required to spend 40%, or 900 points of your 2250 army on core units only. I have already used this list against a few other core comp armies, including DoC, and messed them up pretty good. I am glad I went the way I did, after seeing what the most prominent armies are in the 60 player tournament. Lots of WoC, O&G, and DE, with plenty of Dwarf and Empire forces.

Finally, the name of the tournament is Revenge of the Fluffy Bunny. Armies are supposed to be based around a strong story line, and not be obscene with killiness.

My army is based around a skink general on a terradon who flies around with his fellow skinks on CAP missions, as a massive work detail proceeds to the Temple of Blood to restore control over the ancient edifice. The army is actually a work detail, with the skinks in charge of repairing the glyphs and other carvings. The kroxigors move the stones back into place, while the stegadons do the really hard work. The skink priests are returning the power stones that are placed in the eyes of the four serpent columns that support the roof. These were taken away during the first Chaos incursions.

I will post the fluff story here in a day or two once I have it typed up. You can see a picture of the temple of blood on onw of my other posts... I forget which one.

4. Trevy the Great
    Skink

Trevy the Great New Member

Whoa, those are excellent models, wappellious. The shading and the scales are awesome. The bases are excellent as well.
    Good luck on the tournament.

5. Sebulba
    Temple Guard

Sebulba New Member

Good luck in the tournament, I really like your back story.

On a modeling note...
    How did you make those bases? Is that some sort of putty or what did you use to make it look like tiles of an ancient temple?

On a tactics note...
    What kind of army would you use them against? I could see them doing well against all army types as catching one of these in the flank hurts no matter who you are. Small, elite units wouldn't be able to kill enough to get the combat rez to win. Skinks are weak, but with Kroxigor support they seem like they could at least hold their own against swarm armies.

They seem like they are only good in flanking maneuvers or in multi-charges. Is this what you've found? I guess they could be good for massive amounts of poison shots as well.

6. Eternity_Warden
    Terradon

Eternity_Warden New Member

All your models blow me away... :jawdrop:

That blood bowl kroxie really stands out, he is sick!

7. Sebulba
    Temple Guard

Sebulba New Member

Haha, I also appreciate the OLD OLD version of the Kroxigor. Those guys were tight back in my middle school days... (8 years ago...)

The new versions look pretty sick, but I agree with Eternity Warden, your blood bowl model looks pretty neat.

8. wappellious
    Temple Guard

wappellious New Member

The bases are made with baked sculpey, a clay that you can get at any hobby or art supply store for a modest price. You roll it out in sheets (whatever thickness you would like), and then bake it in a conventional oven.

Once it is baked, you can break it up into pieces, carve it, etc.

I have played against all sorts of armies with my core comp army... demons, dark elves, dwarves.

Everything has to work together. Terradons flying over units to soften them up for possible charges by the skink kroxigor units (using the burning alignment of the EotG's to weaken them more, so that the static combat rez of the skink and kroxigors has more effect.

Using the fear and terror causing to your advantage , either by immunity of enemy fear/terror, or making them run away from you!

I have gone on at length about these tactics in the tactis page... probably about skink cohorts. Again, this army seems to only work for me, since noone expects to see something like it, and I don't do the normal tactical stuff anyway! :blackalien:

9. Gammelsmurfen
    Jungle Swarm

Gammelsmurfen New Member

Awesome painting job! I like the skull helmet on the kroxigor. It makes him stand out.

10. Dumbledore
    Ripperdactil

Dumbledore New Member

Wonderful work wapp. Two things impress me the most. Firstly that the whole army is painted as if lit by an unusually warm sunlight and secondly your stone and metal textures are just fantastic. Also thanks again for the OSL guide you sent me a while back. I just got the slann I used it on - it's been extremely helpful (I sent you a pm thanking you as soon as I downed brushes and stepped back, looking at my work - so satisfying!).

11. Cuauhtémoc
    Saurus

Cuauhtémoc New Member

Wow!
    I just saw that awesome orange unit, and started to drool.
    Exactly these kind of things make me to rethink about my color theme...

12. wappellious
    Temple Guard

wappellious New Member

I'm glad the OSL pdf was helpful! I do have a new glazing pdf I could send you as well.

I can't wait to scratch build a Mazamundi figure so I can have all the flaming frogs falling from the sky casting firey glow everywhere :)

13. Divinor
    Cold One

Divinor Member

So amazing... your work is inspiring! Keep up the great work!

Do you have any other armies you have worked on?

14. wappellious
    Temple Guard

wappellious New Member

I have an entire Demonhunter 40k army that I did for myself, complete with 4 scratch built dreadnoughts, 2 scratch built land raiders, and 4 scratch built chimeras. Most of the troops were heavily converted as well. Sensing a theme there...

For paying the mortgage, I have painted 2 other DH armies, plus 2 WE armies and a Thousand Sons force.

You can add in a smattering of many other armies over the years. I have painted a lot of WFB Dark Elves. I am now working on a WoC army where many things will be scratch built or heavily converted.

Part of the scratch build/converting is because I am very cheap, but it is also very fun! I love to sculpt stuff, and this gives me a reason to do it, and it saves a ton of money... such as the scratch built EotG's, terradons and kroxigors.

15. Aikar
    Saurus

Aikar New Member

Man your work is truly awesome... I wish I was that good!

Good luck at the tournament

16. Dumbledore
    Ripperdactil

Dumbledore New Member

Is there any chance that you could send me the other new pdf?

Also PLEASE show us your dark elves! I for one would be fascinated to see how you painted such a dark army.

17. wappellious
    Temple Guard

wappellious New Member

Here are a few Dark Elf pics:

AssassinGROUPRESIZE-1.jpg

nov09DEsorceressMultiviewR.jpg

18. Divinor
    Cold One

Divinor Member

(link to fellow gamer)
    (link to fellow gamer)
    (link to fellow gamer)
    (link to fellow gamer)
    (link to fellow gamer)

Amazing stuff! Keep it coming!

19. ex Daemon
    Jungle Swarm

ex Daemon New Member

excellent units fella :D great use of colour on all models. You must be glazing like a madman! (in a good way)

20. Trevy the Great
    Skink

Trevy the Great New Member

Excellent job. The combined colors really compliment each other very nicely. I'm not to big a fan of the blue skin on the sorceress, though. Does she have frostbite? :D