1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Couatl

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Poqenichi, May 8, 2013.

1. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

really? ... I think it absurdly funny :p I like the idea of dropping some kind of dinosaur (im seeing a far smaller reptillian armadillo in my mind) but come on! a STEGADON? Mr Fat Joe? the thing would break its legs from the fall (they are not build for acrobatics) the skinks would hate their job even more as the howdah trebuchets them halfway across the battlefield and the target itself would fail all forms of psychology tests and be permanent subject to stupidity as the enlarging shadow of something that clearly wasnt made for skydiving quickly BUT NOT QUIETLY approaches them from above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h02a2HSB58M

+1

2. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

LMAO! A further +1 to skillful_dan

Maybe it can only drop Baby Stegs? Ancients are the fat ones, you know. Excellent video choice as well.

3. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

NO! it breaks its legs and dies from internal bleeding! THE END :p Back to subject (The Coatl)

4. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

5. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

HAHAHA!! awesome!

"A prototype was built and tested in 1942, but was found to be unworkable"

I rest my case and let the Russians speak for me! (probably the only time in my lifetime I will speak or write this :D)

6. skillfull_dan
    Chameleon Skink

skillfull_dan New Member

We play a race of immortal bloddthirsty iguanas and magical space frogs, who did pest control and gardening / landscaping for the old ones respectively.

They also exist in the same world as a unit called the gnoblar groinbiter, the best named model in any game I have ever played. There are things more absurd than air dropped stegadons in the warhammer world.

Also I will should probably stop hijacking this thread, I was just having too much fun.

7. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

My understanding is that it did work (was successfully tested), but the tank itself had to be a light one that would not have held up against the German adversaries it would end up having to face. In the end getting tanks to a forward staging area via rail was more efficient and effective.

Of course, in a fantasy setting, anything is possible :)

8. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

You know what....have your stegadon airstrike mate.....that argument ....I have never been shut-up that hard before :D

and there you have it ..

Guys...if anyone from GW sees this, we are to blame for NOT getting the update in august :D

9. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Yeah, it should die, but it is still a huge mass falling from high. Maybe a large template worth of S6 hits. Oh, and on a roll of 4+, it is still barely alive and can make D6 attacks that automatically hit at S5 to the unit. And then dies. And maybe at the beginning of the game, you roll a D6 for each Couatl Steg-carrier. On a 2+, the Stegadon is successfully loaded, but on a 1, the Lustrian PETA manages to set the Stegadon free, and thus the Couatl is unable to drop Stegs during the game...

10. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

I cant believe this you guys.

Not sure if you are joking -.- or being serious.

If you are serious:

there is a MILLION reasons (fluff AND LOGICAL) that speaks against the "Coatl dropping stegadons" concept.
    It dosnt fit together, in any way! theres NO red-thread in the idea, and on top of that: everything about it goes against the Lizardmen essense.

It would make massive perfect sense for Orks and Gobs who already throw lives away on doomdivers among others, and the skaven could mutate something for the purpose.

The concept COULD be developed into NOT being ridiculous by thinking rational.

1. A stegadon isnt build for acrobatics. It takes years to train, and is semi rare and to high value for the Lizardmen.
    = we need to drop something else: a dinosaur with a body that can endure the task of downward impacts or another object like..I dont know...one of the 30Million enourmous jungle-trees?! :p

2. Coatls are not strong enough to carry a stegadon...fluffwise and anatomical they are agile and magical, not muscle monsters.
    +
    Coatls are sentient and intelligent beings that protect the jungle: they wouldnt agree with this strategy.
    = we need another flyer to do this.

I wrote it as a joke! hoping others would fall over in laughter-cramps like I did...can we please move on from the stega-airstrike and agree that if ANYTHING close to this happens it WILL be another dinosaur getting dropped and it WONT be a Coatl performing the inflight.

THUS it is out of topic.

DIXI

11. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

The Couatl could magically protect the Stegadon (that it magically lifts up) from the fall... Ok, I'm obviously just joking here. Sorry for derailing the conversation. The dual kit for fighty and magic-y Couatls sounds really good to me and is not very far fetched looking at the Phoenix kit.

12. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

THAT IS!............actually exactly what the HE Skycutter does :p

True, but I doubt the "fighty" part. The coatl will probably be in the same weightclass as the phoenix, which isnt the most fighty monster out there.*
    ok, maybe a little tougher, but I believe the "fighty monster" role will be in the form of MC, while the coatl will be a Phoenix with caster-potential. If it will be a dual kit, I wonder what the difference will be..

*on a side note to the phoenix not always coming through:
    The first time my friend who plays HE got his brand new ice wonder fielded, he succesfully charged my 2 Slanns in a skink bunker.
    They where the only ones in basecontact with the big majestic bird, and it had really been a really bad day for the frog-bros ...had the Phoenix not failed all its attacks and had the bros not wardsaved every single stomp. If that wasnt enough, the great incarnation of ice lost combat due to ranks in the bunker, failed its leadership test, rolled patheticly on its swiftstride flee....and was finaly run down to the sound of the warcry of two ancient frogs who just gained a big potion of selfesteem.

13. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Ok, maybe not fighty but... fightier?

You run two Slanns in a bunker of Skinks? I have never heard anyone doing that. How has that been working for you?

14. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Its nice for various reasons

- cheap arrowbunker
    - cheap models in change for look out sirs
    - slanns have to be on the sides so they only are in base contact with 3 skinks (no saurus casualtiess from miscasts)

and if something big and nasty sets up for a charge, you just pop your fellas out of the unit somewhere behind it out of overrun danger = free speedbumb.

15. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

Comrades, this is, without doubt, the silliest and funniest thread I have ever read. And history will record that Spawning of Bob was not involved.

I lift my eggshell to you, Phatmotha-phucka for getting the fun started. I would "Friend" you in an instant http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/spawning-of-bob-and-friends.10886/, if this weren't a family friendly forum.

Now I urge you all to follow the example set by Phatmotha-phucka and Caprasauridae with a return to sensible discourse - My role as class clown is in jeopardy!

Back to topic.

I played Skillfull_Dan's "New Unit Game" http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/new-unit-game.11282/ (Actually I got suckered in: I genuinely thought it was a "New Kitchen Unit" game. Seriously, I did).

This was what I came up with for the new Monster Multi Kit.

I am disadvantaged by a profound lack of Coatl fluff background, but I see it as high initiative, high leadership, a little bit squishy, possibly capable of feigned flight and really should have a killing blow in addition to the attributes below.

The other guy we deserve to have. Because.

multid.jpg

Attached Files:

16. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

I "dont know" what you are implying good sir! but I certainly lift my shell in mutual respect!

...and wauw, how would I love myself a flying raptor covered in armour!

17. skillfull_dan
    Chameleon Skink

skillfull_dan New Member

Bob, sometimes I visit this forum and think you are a madman, sometimes I think you are a genius.

Today, Genius!

Also it took me until the second time i looked at the picture to see the price tag at the top, I had a good laugh at that.

18. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

19. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

n810, if you like, I will come to your house and show you how easy it is to "modify" one of your monster units (perhaps a stegadon) to have absent or vestigial legs.

First you lift it up really, really high. Some sort of magic flying monster could provide the lift. Then you fly it over an enemy unit and then you........wait....... Are we getting sidetracked again ?

20. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

I guess we now know why dinosaurs became extinct....gravity.