1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. crazy tactic

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by forlustria, Jan 27, 2012.

1. forlustria
    Ripperdactil

forlustria Well-Known Member

Ok so had a crazy idea the other. You take a slann and kit him with what ever disaplines you want , Then make him BSB with the banner of disapline. For magic items you give him that folding fortress for 100points. Now deploy him and a unit of templeguard in the fortress and blast off spells all game. no worry about misscasts/spells that use templates as they only ever hit d6 models in a building. Also they can only be charged by 1 unit at a time with only 10 models attacking. If we lose combat we are stubborn ld 10 with cold blooded and re roll.

Do any of you think this could work? or is this too crazy?

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

It's so crazy it just might work.

(but it probaly wont make you many friends)

3. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

the enemy sure cant kill that unit. it does however cost a billion points and while you stay there in the building, he can just kill the rest of your army and win that way ;)

4. Dog On Todd
    Kroxigor

Dog On Todd Member

Love it!

Might have to try it out myself.

What Lore would you use?

And I don't see why one couldn't deploy their army around this fortress. My opponents typically don't touch my tg block anyways, and I don't use them as a battering ram anyways

5. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

That is the standard use for the folding fortress, regardless of the army since any unit becomes stubborn while inside a building. It would make for a really boring game and could actually handicap you. The building must be inside your deployment zone, which means you will start >24" away from all enemy units. Your opponent could simply focus on killing everything else in your army while still remaining outside the range of the bunkered Slaan's worst spells.

6. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Some skink pries could help you extend the range of some of your Slann's spells.

7. Dog On Todd
    Kroxigor

Dog On Todd Member

Didn't know the auto stubborn rule about units in buildings (not very good with rules yet).

If that's the case, who cares about TG? I thought it was they who were given stubborn by the Slann.

If you are auto stubborn, why not just park an ethereal shadow slann in there alone, and then you can smoke and mirrors him out with a skink priest if you see magic weapon unit heading your way/you want a different angle?

Actually, if they are stupid enough to send a non-character (i.e. magic weapon) unit after your slann in the building, then he could just tie them up forever and continue to cast without a different unit being able to fight him?

My scenario probably requires rules fixes, but I'm liking where its heading

8. forlustria
    Ripperdactil

If the oponent wants to kill all my other units he has to bring the fight to me I will deploy around the tower and hold the battleline. Probably take a lore with some offensive spells todo some damage . Maybe lore of light as that has buffs and damage spells . With the buff spells could work as most units will be around the building so every unit benefits.

9. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

SanDiegoSurrealist New Member

I used this tactic in Ard' Boyz:

2 Slanns (Life and Shadow)
    150 Skinks

4 Stegs guarding the outside:
    2 Stegs
    2 Ancient Stegs

Worked great until a Skaven Bell toppled the tower. :(

10. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Haha thats quite dirty. I imagine it would be a little bit hit or miss, there are surely a few things in the game that could deal with it. Well, I guess any list that had enough warmachines to sit outside 24" and beat you at range would give you some trouble.

Would be interesting to try, but I woldn't want to keep doing it. Most lists simply wouldn't have a way to deal with it.

11. forlustria
    Ripperdactil

well I mainly play VC so no scaven bell. Terrorgheist could be a problem , have to make sure he cannot get within 8 inches of the building.

12. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

SanDiegoSurrealist New Member

Yeah it threw a curve to the 1st player, but after that people were figuring out how to deal with it.

1st up was LM that was running very fighty list with Old Blood on Carny. He assulted the tower and was beaten back. Got a Major Victory out of that.

Next was Dark Elf (who was from my local and had heard me talk about the tower tactic before) he just sat out of range and picked on the stegs with magic, Witch Elves and Archers. Just points denial won him the game.

Last was the Skaven with a couple Hell Pits who charged in and a bell which he rang and knocked over the tower. Both Slanns died in the tower collapse as well as 40+ Skinks

13. Pyre
    Saurus

Pyre Member

Around here we call it the "Tower of Power." I've faced it at 'ard Boyz twice and by far the worst are the High Elves. Two high mages sitting in the tower with the Banner of the World Dragon making them immune to all spell effects, and about 200 archers beneath them. The only thing outside was two eagles...

Problem is you'll loose any game with objectives to grab, and one wrong spell getting through ruins your whole day. On the whole its amusing and I've threatened trying it before, but I wouldn't call it the perfect plan.

Pyre