1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Creeping Death's Lustria

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Creeping Death, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Creeping Death
    Skink

Creeping Death Member

Hi all,

Since I’m visiting/posting here more often, I started getting things done. Seeing photo’s of finished Lizardmen gives you a boost to get things done too, so here I will post my progress in the painting of my army. I started painting 5 years ago when I first started with Warhammer, but since it did not go that well (I started with 3 SW, which I’m repainting now with the 29 others), I was mostly trying to practice before really starting on my Lizardmen. When I got the Battle for Skull Pass box I started practicing on the Night Goblins. They are easy to paint, but require quite a bit of fine working with your brushes. The perfect starters actually. Then I did the 8 miners and then finally got it going with my Lizardmen.

So here it goes:
    I got these Krox 3 years ago and I finished them around the beginning of this year. They are standing on the first bases I did ever, so the grass is ‘standing’ quite flat, but will fix this later.

20120315Kroxigors1and3Pic01.jpg

20120315Kroxigors1and3Pic02.jpg

20120315Kroxigors1and3Pic03.jpg

Hope you like these.

Cheers

2. Creeping Death
    Skink

Creeping Death Member

Here are some pics of my Skink Priest and Scar Vet

20120315skinkPriestPic01.jpg

20120315skinkPriestPic02.jpg

20120315ScarVetOrOldOnePic01.jpg

20120315ScarVetOrOldOnePic02.jpg

3. Creeping Death
    Skink

Creeping Death Member

My 3 Salamanders and their Skink Handlers I finished yesterday.

20120315SalamandersandHandlersPic03.jpg

20120315SalamandersandHandlersPic04.jpg

20120315SalamandersandHandlersPic02.jpg

20120315SalamandersandHandlersPic01.jpg

4. Creeping Death
    Skink

Creeping Death Member

And finally my unit of 12 Skink Skirmishers with blowpipes (I always play with them as having javelins). I did not take pictures yet of my unit with javelins, but as you can see I went for the traditional Lustria colours on them. My plan is Normal skinks Blue (also these on the Steg, becauwe my Steg is going to be a green one), Handlers always Green and the Chameleon Skinks Purple.

20120315SkinkSkirmishersWBlowPipePic01.jpg

20120315SkinkSkirmishersWBlowPipePic02.jpg

20120315SkinkSkirmishersWBlowPipePic03.jpg

That’s it for now. Still working on my SWs (32), COR (16 + Scar Vet), Terradons (3) and Steg. My TG (10) and Slann are going to be the last things I will paint up.

Cheers

5. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

Very nice colors! I am doing something similar with my color scheme. Normal skinks are green, handlers are red.

6. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

very cool - i like the Kroxigors especially. Did you put a coat of varnish on the Handlers and Sallies? unless the flash is making them look shiny.
    I've separated my handlers by doing their crests Camo Green. Chameleons are going to be the GW standard green (if i ever finish them) but I plan on putting some flock on the models - Ghillie suit style.

7. Creeping Death
    Skink

Creeping Death Member

Thx, they indeed have a layer of varnish on them. Makes them shiny and protects them. Those metal dudes are realy hard to paint. The paint keeps on getting lose every time I touched them a bit uncarefuly. I had to correct constantly.

Just put the the basecoat (white) on the 12 Chameleon Skinks I got for my birthday. And bought some glue for my new Kroxigor. Forgot to mention those yesterday in things I still have to do.

8. parrot
    Cold One

parrot New Member

Wow :jawdrop: . You have got some awesome models there. I really like the hunting pack. The sallys really go well with green skinks.

9. Creeping Death
    Skink

Creeping Death Member

Well I finished my Kroxigor today. It’s Kroxigor 2. Kroxigor 1 and 3 from the GW website I already showed, but at the end they will return. Hope you like him.

I saw this next evolution thing on The UnderEmpire, where someone showed step by step how he painted his guy.
    Step 1: Try to glue the Kroxigor as good as you can (I used Bison gel second glue)
    20120320Kroxigor2Pic01.jpg

Step 2: I gave the Krogigor his basecoat of Chaos Black
    20120320Kroxigor2Pic03.jpg

Step 3: I painted the Kroxigor with Regal Blue
    20120320Kroxigor2Pic04.jpg

Step 4: I gave a drybrush with Enchanted Blue
    20120320Kroxigor2Pic05.jpg

Step 5: Give a Dry Brush with Ice Blue to highlight everything a bit more
    20120320Kroxigor2Pic06.jpg

Step 6: Then I did everything else. I used Red Gore for the eyes and the rope around his arm. The metal parts are Gunbolt metal or Shining gold. The wood is Bestial Brown drybrushed with Graveyard Earth. The nails and Horn are Graveyard Earth and then the tips painted Bleached Bone, finished with a bit of Devlan Mud Wash. The teeth are painted Skull White.
    20120320Kroxigor2Pic07.jpg

20120320Kroxigor2Pic08.jpg

20120320Kroxigor2Pic09.jpg

Step 7: Put on a coat of varnish to protect your Kroxigor
    20120320Kroxigor2Pic10.jpg

20120320Kroxigor2Pic11.jpg

Step 8: do the base, I always put Scorched Grass on the base for my Lizardmen (and Dwarfs). Put on PVA glue and then throw on the grass (best way for me is to put the grass in a large container and then flipping it to get as much as possible of the grass on the base, repeating several times and then turn the Kroxigor upside down and by slightly hitting the base, removing the excess of grass).
    20120320Kroxigor2Pic12.jpg

I also redid my 2 other Kroxigors their base, so now the grass is ‘standing’ more ;-). And here they are all three.
    20120320Kroxigor2Pic13.jpg

And here are my Chameleon Skinks so far. Only gave them 2 coats of Levithian Purple Wash after giving a white basecoat. Any suggestions for the colors of the little salamanders on them and the ‘hat’? Planning on painting their blowpipes in Bleached Bone to give it an ‘ivory’ look. Like my friend playing WoC says: “made from the horns of fallen Stegadons in battle”.
    20120320ChameleonSkinksPic01.jpg

20120320ChameleonSkinksPic02.jpg

Cheers

10. Creeping Death
    Skink

Creeping Death Member

At the last minute I got them (my ChSk) finished. Now they only need to be based and I can show some pictures hopefully allready this weekend. My 32 SW are also completely blue, so now just drybrushing and painting all the details (Pff, lot of work to do ;-) )

11. Creeping Death
    Skink

Creeping Death Member

As promised I took some pictures of my Chameleon Skinks.

20120505ChameleonSkinksPic01.jpg

20120505ChameleonSkinksPic02.jpg

As you can see I improved on my basing skills. On the painting competition ‘Der Lage Landen’ of GW, I got some comments on my simple basing technique of just putting grass on my bases. So now I put sand on them and paint them with Graveyard Earth and drybrushed them with Snakebite leather. Afterwards I tried to add some grass on small places and I think it came together quite nice.
    20120505ChameleonSkinksPic04.jpg

20120505ChameleonSkinksPic05.jpg

20120505ChameleonSkinksPic06.jpg

Hope you like them. Now my 32 SW.