1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Custom artillery dice tryouts?

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Qupakoco, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Animaux
    Saurus

Animaux Member

get bob to do one of his spawing drawings thats an in house thing and always cool

2. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

So you are saying that my dice are limited edition, one of a kind (along with everyone else's that ordered them)!

Sweet

3. lbisson
    Cold One

lbisson New Member

Congrats Arli on your one-of-a-kind dice. I'm trying to think of some design to replace the GW design.

Was thinking maybe Bob can draw a horned lizard head similar to this?
    horned_zps709488a5.jpg

Or how about a Mayan glyph like this?
    mayanliz_zps8b5d0944.jpeg

4. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

They are indeed and better looking than the GW ones. :p

What do people think of these?

3107885182_11da1acf58.jpg

5. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

speckled Volcano: 41fxsiYxwKL._SY300_.jpg

My vote would be fire, recon, cobalt. I don't think the designs would stand out very well on the ninja colour scheme, with the grey on grey speckles.

6. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

I liked the Ninja color cause it looks like a rock. Makes me feel like I'm rolling a pyramid chunk maybe. But so far looks like Fire and Recon are taking the cake. Haven't heard back about 20mm color options yet though.

I like all those designs that have been posted, though I would prefer them to be a bit more blocky like the Lizardmen glyphs are. Not so much so that they infringe on IP, but enough to keep them traditional. That's my taste anyhow.

Should we start a new thread for the custom 6 dice design process?

EDIT:

Since we are already this far, might as well design a Scatter Die, right? I was thinking a Saurus Spear on each side, or maybe a Skink Javelin. But not too Saurus Spear or Skink Javelin...

SaurusSpears.JPG StegSkinkJav.JPG

Not sure about the HIT marker yet. I've posed this to Bob already (not to put pressure on him or anything) but if someone else wants to take a whack at it, I think those are fairly easy. Other ideas are totally welcome too.

DOUBLE EDIT:

For the custom 6's, I like the snake head with the tongue sticking out best. Some iteration of that is my vote.

T-T-T-TRIPLE EDIT!!!

Wouldn't you know that SoB was cool enough to already make a rough draft of the Scatter Die? These guys are supposed to be representing numbers for the Artillery Dice but I could see them being used for the Scatter. We'll need to clean it up a bit I think, but it's a pretty good start. Anyone prefer a different idea? The typical Scatter Dice have all the arrows pointing in the same direction. I'm still leaning towards a lone spear or javelin.

dice2b.jpg
    dice2s.jpg

7. lbisson
    Cold One

lbisson New Member

Rikard, the top design looks pretty cool.

8. Arli
    Skink Priest

I agree. That top design looks good and would probably transfer to the dice well.

9. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

Did anyone else notice that the Chessex Logo is the 8 pointed star of Chaos?
    chessexlogo.gif
    Do we really want to go with these guys fluffwise?

Anyhow, I like Rikard's top image for the 6 side of a dice,

although wouldn't this one be better?
    o3bb.jpg

When Bob becomes rich and famous and has an online store, he will make you all pay through the nose for T-Shirts and custom 6 style dice with a Bob image on them.

Back to scatter dice. I would really like to make a D3, 2 sides with 1s, 2 sides with 2s etc. This works out also for scatter dice which have 2 "hit" sides which also indicate direction.

At it's simplest (non lizard-y) extreme would be
    bhyr.jpg

(Please note that I didn't tear the arms off any of my models just to make a "point". Is this how you treat your friends, Qupakoco?)

Here is my earlier D3 concept, which can also do scatter (triangular eyes indicate direction) and with a box around the 3 to indicate a hit
    lezd.jpg

Imagine rolling up 7 impact hits with an upgraded steg for D3 wounds on each. Don't you want to buy 7 of these puppies just in case?

And saurus with spears, 5 wide would need 20 dice (and extra rolls for PF). This could end up costing a lot!

10. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Cheers mate, I thought it was appropriate and no-one owns the IP on that.

@Ari, I found my GW issue LM dice...all 20 of them! If you want I'll switch 10 of those for 10 of yours.

@Bob, I like the D3 concept.

11. Raptorclaw
    Jungle Swarm

Raptorclaw New Member

I'm going to go ahead and say that I'm really interested in the dice as well. I agree with whoever it was that the dice would look nice as green phantoms (or the recon ones), and with Bob that I'd prefer small dice.
    I like the designs , but I vote we wait for the army book, because there's gonna be a hell of a lot of art, which could be inspirational for this project.

CLAW

12. Arli
    Skink Priest

@ Raptorclaw

That is a good point.

@ Rikard

Could you post a picture of the GW issued dice? I may be willing to split mine up.

13. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Image taken off ebay, some chuckle head is trying to sell the six below for £49.99!

$(KGrHqR,!owFD9oLy89iBREqL9QULw~~60_12.JPG

14. Arli
    Skink Priest

lol, I find it funny that our 'custom' dice look better than theirs.

Let me think on it. I will let you know shortly. I am leaning toward yes. I will PM you with a final decision and the details.

15. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

OOPS :oops:
    i han't realized that we had used the same symbol as the official ones.

16. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

No worries at all, yours do look better and I wish there were 20 or so spare going (I'd happily pay for them).

@N810,

Don't worry mate, loads of other people got custom dice from Chessex, I doubt it was Lustria online's order that caused the GW hissy fit.

I am digging the colour and pattern of the custom ones you had made though (the ones Ari showed) I'd love to get custom dice with those same patterns, both with the PIPS and artillery dice.

17. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Ulthuan did a large order last October that used a glyph/rune pulled straight form the 7th ed. army book. I can't imagine GW being happy about that (if they know about it that is).

18. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

Well, look what I found on Ulthuan.net http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41146&start=60

There had better be a very good explanation for this pal.

19. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

LOL! Bob, you've discovered my alter ego. He tends to be a bit quicker than me, but he is also quite a bit squishier. ;)

If you check some other well known warhammer sites, you might find me there as well. But I have to admit that I spend most of my time here these days. The corporate firewall at work likes Lustria better than the rest. And for a firewall, it has very good taste (in this instance) :p

20. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

I don't mean to bump this but I had an email from Chessex.

DSCN9178_zps3ec620c7.jpg

What do you all think?

Attached Files: