1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom Scar-Vet

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Dangerbutton, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Dangerbutton
    Skink

Dangerbutton New Member

This is a custom Scar-Vet on a cold one that I put together. I think i only used pieces from the regular cold one riders and the temple guard.

101_0366.jpg

101_0367.jpg

101_0369.jpg

101_0371.jpg

101_0372.jpg

This is one of the first models I've ever painted. I still haven't figured out the highlighting, or how to do those wash things. I'm learning.

2. Dangerbutton
    Skink

Dangerbutton New Member

Okay. . . . what did I do wrong? why aren't there pictures visible?
    First time trying to post them.

3. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Fixed. Make sure when you're using photobucket to copy the "Direct Link" code, and not the "Email and IM" code.

4. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Hmm this is the latest thread where I have described washes/inks. Have a bit of a look through the painting forum, there are plenty of really good posts from everyone with detailed tips and ideas on painting. I am quite keen to get a beginners painting guide going, next month sometime when honours is finished, but for now the information is there if oyu want to search for it.

Initial comments; you need to water down your paints a bit. Several thin coats is better than 1 thick coat, that just obscures detail and looks gluggy and cartoony. Your main focus at the moment should be neatness, take your time keep a steady hand and get the colours exactly where they should be not overlapping like some of the green on the weapon. I think part of that is the thick paint though.

Your photography is good, really clear pictures. That can be both a blessing and a curse; it will make the model much easier to look at and more likely to get comments, but it really brings out every tiny error. :p Naturally you will be most critical and notice the small things, so go off the picture when you are looking for bits to change.

I might also suggest limiting your colour palette a bit, you have a lot of different colours on the model which distracts the eye. Part of this could be that the colours are all so bright, it will be interesting to see the model after you have tried a bit of inking/washing on most if it to mute the colours. I think the scheme looks good overall.

Keep at it, the more you paint and the more you push your skills the better you will get.

5. slannfrog
    Cold One

slannfrog Member

I recommend using washes to bring out the detail.