1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DC is launching a streaming service

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Scalenex, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

At some future point, with some things on it....

I read the plan is to create as much new content that they can debut an episode of something at least once a week.

There are only three things confirmed for it. Young Justice, season 3. A live action reboot of Teen Titans, and a new animated series starring Harley Quinn.

I am willing to give the latter two a try, but it's not what I would have asked for. But more Young Justice. I would probably sign up just for that and I'd probably be willing to pay more than I want to admit to see it.

The problem DC is being pretty tight lipped on what else they will have.

In my opinion, Marvel tends to make good live action movies and mediocre TV shows and animated movies. DC tends to make good TV shows and animated movies,

I was very impressed with the DC animated movies. I watched all of them through the Killing Joke. I thought since "Batman: the Killing Joke" had a director I liked and legendary voice actors that it would be amazing. So it's the one DC animated movie that I paid full price to own a copy, instead of merely renting or buying on sale. It's mahrlect bad. But it's the only bad one in my opinion, so I'll give DC my loyalty. I was planning to gradually acquire many more, but the upcoming streaming service makes me hesitant to buy them.

In my opinion besides Killing Joke, they are all at least okay. Even better, apart from Killing Joke, I would say the overall quality is better in the most recent animated movies. I especially like War, JL: The Flashpoint Paradox, JL: Dark, TT: Judas Contract, and JL versus TT

I was thinking of buying Crisis on Infinite Earths but am waiting to see if I can get it for "free" with my Young Justice based streaming service.

Adam West Batman? It's nice in small doses.

1970s Superfriends or 1990s Lois and Clark I'd watch a few for nostalgia.

I wouldn't mind any of the 1990s early oughts animated TV shows, but I own most of them except for Static Shock, which I liked but didn't want to pay money for. At least not without getting them on the cheap. $20 on Amazon for a season a bit too much.

Netflix has most of the live action CW shows and I ditched Netflix because they dropped a bunch of stuff I liked, mostly animated.

I hope they get as much of the old properties as possible, even the less stellar ones.

Captaniser and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  2. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

Uh. DC sucks other than Aquaman

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Interesting find. I'm primarily interested in the animated stuff, especially the new Harley Quinn animated series.

It will be tough sell going up against something like Netflix, which offers way more content for nearly the same price.

Captaniser likes this.
  4. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Sounds nice for DC fans.
    Personally, I don't care enough about them to consider paying for anything like that.

That is almost my opinion, with a few more exceptions though. I enjoy the Gotham TV show for example.

5. Scalenex
    Slann

They haven't released the price yet. But even if it cost half of what Netflix has the cost per available episode would be rather high compared to Netflix...but I see this as the wave of the future.

Netflix hit the scene with a brilliant innovative business model BUT they have been coming to terms with their built in unavoidable flaw. Their competitors and their suppliers are the same people.

At first the media companies loved the idea of monetizing their old intellectual property. Yeah, they got very little for it, but they were getting nothing before. Now they have to deal with customers who decide not to watch the shows weekly and wait for the full season (or series!) and binge watch them. This is eating out of their baskets. That means more companies are reluctant to sell off their most popular stuff. Even their less popular stuff, Netflix hurts DVD/Blue Ray sales. That means Netflix's suppliers are less likely to sell their properties on the cheap now, unless their is a strategic reason. For instance Marvel movies do this often with their franchises. I noticed when Thor 2 was out, Thor was released to Netflix. That makes sense. Someone who decides to watch (or re-watch) Thor is more likely to be primed to watch the sequel in theaters.

Disney is rumored to be making their own streaming service if they can't swing buying Netflix. Each company that creates their own streaming service means Netflix has less to work with.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Great points @Scalenex .

That's true... and the consumer is the ultimate loser in the deal.

Perhaps. Your reasoning is sound but there is another killer in the room. With a high cost per episode setup, more people will be driven towards obtaining their media through other less "ethical" means.

7. Scalenex
    Slann

I suppose. As a teenager I used Napster before it was shut down. Then I was set straight I have deleted everything I obtained that way.

Now as an adult with discretionary income, I pay for all the media I consume. Maybe this is the rationalism hamster in my brain. Most of the TV shows I I downloaded on Kazaa in my youth I obtained legally by paying money for later. Some of the stuff I would have even been aware of if not for "file sharing" sites. I don't have the exact quote and I don't remember the band, but I want to say it's Birthday Massacre that said that when you are unknown people streaming your art for free is your best friend because you get exposure. When you are established it's your worst enemy because it's eating out of your basket.

I see these as connected. I never stole Birthday Massacre but I was exposed to it for free through Pandora (which is free if you tolerate commercials) and I learned I like their music, and I bought some of their albums. Being the prince that I am, I now pay for ad-free Pandora.

I think a portion of people who obtain media through less ethical means eventually pay money for it. Some.

This doesn't seem to be materializing at the pace I was expecting, but when I took my business colleges they said the future of consumption was mass customization. In other words stuff is mass produced but it's individual enough that everyone gets customized goods. I'm hoping this will go into media.

You can have a really deep and emotional drama about young men growing up in rural India. It could be absolutely amazing but it's not really going to appeal much outside India. Giant robots punching giant monsters in the face? That is relate-able to almost every culture on Earth, even if it won't lead to any profound soul searching on the part of the audience.

Personal example. I enjoyed the horror movie Crimson Peak, but few people liked it or even heard of it. A Victorian era tragic romance mixed with old school ghost stories is not for everyone.

Currently, media producers make more money making something large numbers of people enjoy a small amount as opposed to making something that small numbers of people enjoy a large amount until we get a system where people only pay for the stuff they really like such as with Patreon.

On some level Lustria-Online's fluff page represents media for very specific tastes.

Christopher and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  8. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

[​IMG]

Scolenex likes this.