1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DC Knows How I Think, I'm scared

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Scalenex, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I think they have Martians on their marketing department.

For a long time, I was trying to decide whether I wanted to sign up for DC Universe immediately and hope their bulk content was good, or sign up the day Young Justice comes out, just so they know Young Justice is the only thing I really want. I hope the other stuff they are releasing is good but I don't see how Bruce Timm's team can fail me with Young Justice (I forgave them for The Killing Joke).

Then I saw that they aren't going month to month. They are a year long subscription. Just so happens if we pre-order, we get a 15 month subscription.

Mahrlect you marketing team. You got me. I hope your live action Teen Titans is going to be better than the hardcore Teen Titans fans believe.

But if you tamper with Young Justice, I'm not renewing.

2. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

Captaniser Well-Known Member

A whole year? that is just absurd. I guess they are trying to lure people that are major fans of DC into a long term commitment. I have never heard of any service that only offers yearly subscriptions.

3. Scalenex
    Slann

Pandora's no add service does the same thing BUT DC stuck a fine print in there (actually it's not hidden, but low attention span Internet people tend to gloss over stuff). If you don't cancel you will automatically renew. That's why they are doing it. A lot of things automatically renew. Fun fact, that's moot for me because I am going to change banks in the next few months, so they won't be able to bill me again without my consent.

But I'd almost pay any price to watch Young Justice, and there is other stuff I would be interested in. It's about $5 so I think it's worth it. If it turns out to be not worth it, I will tell everyone at Lustria-Online it's not worth it.

As a moderator here, I am bestowed with a LOT of power and influence.

[​IMG]

Paradoxical Pacifism likes this.
  4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Good luck and enjoy your membership. Hopefully they add lots of great content in the not too distant future.

5. Scalenex
    Slann

If the promos suggest anything, they are opening the vault all the way back to Christopher Reeves era Superman.

I happened to sink a lot of money in DC DVDs in the early 2000s, but I never bought Static Shock and I almost did. I will be sore if they don't include it. That's a series I'd like to watch. I wouldn't mind rewatching Adam West Batman and the 90s Superman show in small doses.

I have deliberately held back renting the Samurai Batman movie and the John Constantine movie. Claws crossed they meet my expectations...

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  6. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

That could be interesting...
    Anyway yeah, keep us informed about Young Justice. ;)

7. Scalenex
    Slann

Got the beta version. It certainly meets my DC cartoon fix, and it meets my needs cheaper than streaming or buying each one by itself which is the minimum thing I required. Also a bunch of really old movies and live action shows that look worth a look.

Sadly, it does not seem to have the CW DC superhero shows as of yet.

I guess I'll have to wait. Netflix is not worth it for me even if they have the Flash and Arrow.

8. Scalenex
    Slann

Batman Ninja is the most ridiculous Batman story I have ever seen. But it's so visually well done I had a big ol' smile on my face the whole time I watched him.

I do not know what mind altering substances the creators of this were on when they wrote and story boarded this.

This is without a doubt, the best "So bad it's good" movie I have ever seen!

9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

It was just too strange for my liking, but I can see how others might enjoy it.

10. Scalenex
    Slann

So I've been watching this a lot. I think I got my money's worth, but I do not believe that I got a bargain.

There is a lot of stuff to choose from, but the download quality does not compete with Hulu, Netflix, or Youtube. Either the download speed is throttled or the sound and video files are not compressed. It stops for about a second to reload about a once a minute. That is mildly annoying.

I would DC Universe exclusive content is premiering soon (but sadly Young Justice is not premiering till January).

I am sort of a DC superfan, so I enjoy this. If I were a casual fan, I would feel mildly ripped off.

11. Scalenex
    Slann

Perhaps it's disrespectful to review this after Stan Lee died yesterday but here is my review of DC Universe. Was it worth it?

Yes, Titans is not perfect but it's a good show. The archive of old stuff is not as big as I would have liked but it's okay but what clinches this for me is the comics. There are hundreds of digital PDFs of comic books. Some comics are always on tap. Some comics rotate in and out for a few weeks.

I like reading comic books, but comic books are short reads, so reading comics gets expensive. Now it's not that expensive, but I have slightly less choice for what to read. Reasonable trade off though.

I got to read the Batman graphic novel arc the Long Halloween. Great story, clearly utilized a lot by Christopher Nolan. He didn't lift the plot from the Long Halloween directly, but he took a lot of the visuals and scenery. He also took the theme of a three way war between organized crime, law enforcement and the assorted freaks of Gotham.

12. Scalenex
    Slann

Titans just had their season finale. One episode per week.

Just finished watching the Marvel Runaways season finale. Hulu released the whole season in one go. Hulu for the win.

I genuinely enjoyed Titans, it's not a bad show. I look forward to seeing more of Titans (they ended season one on a cliff hanger). But the Marvels Runaways is a masterpiece. It's hard to make direct comparisons between Marvel and DC, but these are both gritty television dramas about teenage metahumans. In this apples-to-apples comparison, DC should be humiliated.

I'd go into details but I don't want to spoil it (though I will say they ended season one and two on a cliff hanger). Runaways just has better characterization and better cinematography. Titans has better special effects and fight scene choreography I guess, but that is less important. Both shows are about drama first, action second.

I do know that I have thoroughly became used to streaming three or four episodes at a time than waiting for weekly installments. Though I will painfully wait for weekly installments. Especially since Young Justice season 3 (the only reason I signed up for DC's streaming service) will be releasing episodes on a weekly basis come January.

I don't know where I mark Marvel's Runaways against all television shows ever, but it was my favorite piece of media in 2018. I think 2018 has been a subpar year for new movies and TV and it was nice for me to end this on a bang. Maybe I better wait till January to watch Aquaman.

Young Justice is one of my favorite shows now and forever. I guess when it comes to DC, I like my superheroes animated and Marvel I like my superheroes live action.

Every DC live action movie except for Wonder Woman, there is an objectively better recent animated movie that uses nearly the same plot. Even then, I would say the animated Wonder Woman movie was nearly as good or equally as good as the live action. I'm wondering if I didn't have a crush on Gal Gadot whether I would still like the movie as much. The live action movie had a lot of plot holes and unfinished character arcs.

As for Green Lantern. The animated movies were better than the live action movie, but not by enough. I sometimes wonder if a non-boring stand alone Green Lantern movie is even physically possible. It was said that Fantastic Four cannot be made into a good movie, but they did, it's just called The Incredibles.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  13. Scalenex
    Slann

There is a shortage of Young Justice memes :(
    [​IMG]

But this one sums up Titans/\

Here is my attempt to make my own meme.

[​IMG]

Young Justice is better than Titans before it even comes out!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  14. Scalenex
    Slann

To celebrate the debut of Young Justice Season 3, here is a homemade meme with the appropriate meme font.

[​IMG]via Imgflip Meme Generator

15. King Dust
    Saurus

King Dust Well-Known Member

The show is looking good so far!

Scalenex likes this.