1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deadly's Constellation

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by DeadlyRecluse, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

I asked this 5 posts ago. It's parts from the stegadon kit

Ritual, Bowser and Hutch9935 like this.
  2. DeadlyRecluse
    Chameleon Skink

DeadlyRecluse Well-Known Member

Just thought I'd do a quick update, as I've been up to a few things.
    I spent some time working on my khorne and I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Blood warriors have so much gold detailing to highlight it's actually ridiculous. These two are almost done, just have a few details to work out and the I can start worrying about basing IMG_20170502_203713446.jpg I also recently picked up a slann kit who has a few bubble on his tummy so you guys know what that means. Double slann project inbound

Ritual, n810, Crowsfoot and 5 others like this.
  3. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

These bloodbound look incredible! Really amazing job so far!

Ritual and DeadlyRecluse like this.
  4. DeadlyRecluse
    Chameleon Skink

Well since someone showed some interest in my "washes only"(I used a small amount of white scar at the end but it's optional) recipe for fire in another thread I thought I'd post it here rather than hijack someone else's gallery lol. This technique isn't difficult at all, but still looks pretty dang spiffy.

In order for this to work, you're going to be doing what I could only describe as a sort of reverse highlighting, so your going to have your brighter colours in the recesses, and your darker colours on the higher points. This means that your layers of wash need to be very light to avoid any and all pooling as this destroys the effect. When doing this technique I will pick up the shade from the pot and then use my pallete to remove excess shade from the brush.

First we're going to need to pick our colours, this will depend on the colour of fire your going for obviously. This effect should work with any colours provided the colours you're picking are fairly close on the colour wheel as it will minimize how visible the edges of your layers are and means you shouldn't have to do any blending as the colours are so close to one another and so thin that you should be able to see the layer beneath the one your painting. Some examples would be Yellow to red, pink to blue, yellow-green etc.. For my example I decided on a no nonsense, unmagical, super hot fire so I went with a gradient of colours that go from white at the hottest points, then yellow to dark red for my main colour and then to black at the tips of the flames. IMG_20170503_211552580_HDR.jpg

To replicate the effect here I used the following:

Screaming skull( or other off white white basecoat)
    Casandora yellow
    Fuegan orange
    Reikland fleshshade
    Agrax earthshade
    Nuln oil
    Lamenters yellow(super important)
    And then optionally white to make the source of the flames look extra hot.

Step 1: basecoat your flames from top to bottom with your screaming skull in two thin coats

Step two: lightly wash the entirety of your flames with Casandora Yellow ( if going for super hot flames leave some white showing towards the source of your fire and in the deepest recesses)

Step three: lightly wash the top 2/3 of your flames with your Fuegan Orange while leaving your yellow(and optionally your white) showing in the shallower recesses towards the bottom

Step four: lightly wash the top half of your flames with Reikland Fleshshade while leaving your other colours showing in the recesses towards the bottom

Step five: lightly wash the top quarter of your flames with Agrax Earthshade leaving your other colours showing towards the bottom

Step six: Very lightly apply Nuln oil to the very tips of your flames

Step seven: apply a light coat of Lamenters yellow to the yellow-red areas of your flames to bring the colours together and add "warmth" to the flames

You have now finished your flames,congrats!
    If you'd like to make you flames look a little hotter you can add a highlight of white scar on the brightest parts of flames at the end followed by a light coat of Lamenters but this is totally optional. This technique is totally begging for a bit of OSL on the surrounding areas, but thats something I haven't figured out just yet. Questions and criticism are more than welcome as this is my first time writing an in depth tutorial, and I'm not particularly good with words lol IMG_20170515_235102698_HDR.jpg IMG_20170515_235030306_HDR.jpg IMG_20170515_234854195_HDR.jpg

Ritual, Hutch9935, Jorgik and 6 others like this.
  5. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Amazing tutorial! Perfect timing, as I am going to be referring to this while painting the Balewind Vortex! Looks so good! Should work for an Ethereal funnel cloud with some different colours!

6. DeadlyRecluse
    Chameleon Skink

Thought I'd post some lizard related content while I had the Lightbox out as well, this is my WIP slann. Only thing done on him so far is the yellow skin. The orange has its first layer of highlighting, and the metal is basecoated but that's about it so far.I'm fairly happy with the yellow but defs want to brighten up the orange a bit as well as give him some purple warpaint to his left side of his face to cover up some bad handiwork( he had some bubbles directly on his eyelid and although I did an okay job of filling them in its still kinda noticable). Still waiting for cool uncle gw to send my replacement slann out, but I'm thinking I'll put both on the same palanquin( cause who would actually play with a list with two slanns at the same time *cough* @SlanntaClause ) and paint them with similar colours and have them be twin brothers IMG_20170516_244029392_HDR.jpg

Can't wait to see this used on a balewind vortex, I love that kit and it should be super interesting to see how well this works on something of a much larger scale

Ritual, Jorgik, n810 and 9 others like this.
  7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Looking good! Loving the yellow Slann!

Ritual and Bowser like this.
  8. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

You are actually amazing at tutorials. I 've never done anything similar and I have no questions after reading it. Maybe you need to start writing more at your painting blog ! :rolleyes:

Ritual, tom ndege and Bowser like this.
  9. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

Really cool stuff! I love the conversions, and purple Bloodbound is a really nice scheme for them. I'm a big fan of your Carnosaur's colour scheme and might end up stealing that...

Ritual and Bowser like this.
  10. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Very nice Slann!

Ritual likes this.
  11. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

SlanntaClause Well-Known Member

why have twin slanns when you can have 20tuplets :p

Ritual, DeadlyRecluse and Bowser like this.
  12. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

why have twin slanns when you can have 20tuplets :p

13. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

Why post once when you can doublepost? ;):p

... sorry... it was too tempting...:cool::D

Ritual, DeadlyRecluse, Soxii and 4 others like this.
  14. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

No worries my internet bugged out making it an ironic twin post :)

15. DeadlyRecluse
    Chameleon Skink

So I thought I'd add to my ever increasing backlog of non lizard models and picked up the khorne battleforce, the flyer box w/ the heldrake and stormchicken, as well as the dark imperium box set. I decided that if I'm going to be playing 40k chaos marines I'd at least pick a paint scheme that would challenge/frustrate me, and so I picked a pre heresy death guard scheme. I've never really painted marines traditionally( base, shade, layer, highlight) and so this has been quite the learning experience for me. Just have the two plasma guys started for now until I get my hands on that sweet new box but this is what I've got for now IMG_20170612_140141954_HDR.jpg IMG_20170612_140157878_HDR.jpg Again this is babies first marine so c&c is more than welcome. Hopefully there will be more lizard based stuff coming soon as this "backlog" is going to be the death of me

EDIT: Screenshot_20170616-220046.png
    F*cking cat hair. That's going to legit bother me forever. This is why I like snakes best lol

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    Ritual, Warden, Aginor and 4 others like this.
  16. PhoenixTheCat
    Terradon

PhoenixTheCat Well-Known Member

Amazing work, and I'm sorry for stealing the idea of a Skink hero with greatbow.

Ritual likes this.
  17. DeadlyRecluse
    Chameleon Skink

Bah as long as you end up with a cool model using my ideas feel free to steal as many as you'd like.

Ritual and Jorgik like this.
  18. DeadlyRecluse
    Chameleon Skink

Quick update, painting some of the dark imperium set. This is my first time painting white and I can see why everyone says it's really challenging. Poxwalkers however are super fun and easy to paint, I need more, like 100 more, and a few more sculpts would be nice. IMG_20170620_241006176_HDR.jpg IMG_20170709_244812026_HDR.jpg IMG_20170709_245022658_HDR.jpg

Ritual, Warden, Jorgik and 2 others like this.
  19. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

I like you classic death guard paintjob!
    I donĀ“t understand why did GW paint them green and then called them death guard, if death guard is mainly white :joyful:

Ritual likes this.