1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decided to give painting a go for the first time in years, how am I doing?

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by bigrigbutters, Jul 27, 2018.

1. bigrigbutters
    Jungle Swarm

bigrigbutters New Member

Hey Guys,

New painter/collector here - I'd really like to get some C&C on my Seraphon scheme and painting style!

I used to mess around with 40k when I was about 10 years old but never had the patience to paint properly.
    I'm 25 now and decided to give sigmar a shot, I bought a starpriest and found him really enjoyable to paint, so I've decided to buy some skinks and a set of saurus gaurd. I loosely based my models on the box art but I'm quit strapped for cash so I haven't used a similar variety of paints.

I'd like to get some tips on where I could improve and how I could get some better colors. I'm aware my shading could use some work, I'd also really like to find a more toned down bronze/gold colour for the metal (such as the spikes on the Saurus' back). If anyone has some suggestions I'd really appreciate it.

Here they are...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Aginor and Crowsfoot like this.
  2. Karnus
    Ripperdactil

Karnus Well-Known Member

They look really nice and clean!

My only criticism would be that you gotta pucker up and get those black slits on the eyes :p

3. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Not bad, really neat and good colour choice.

If you don’t want to do pupils the best way ti do eyes is paint them white then glaze them with your chosen colour that way the white grins through and adds definition, a glaze is a thin shade.

You can highlight gold with silver

4. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Not bad at all!
    In a few places the paint is a tad too thick maybe. Using a wet palette might help with that.