1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Desert Theme! And General Army Discussion

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by CaptainFaux, Sep 29, 2015.

1. CaptainFaux
    Saurus

CaptainFaux Member

Hey folks! New to the forum but after wrecking a few games with the seraphon, I'm absolutely loving what they bring to the table.

I've got the box accented with two empire wizards (they didn't have any slaan in store, but I wanted mages). I'm painting them up in a desert tan sort of theme with METALLIC SCALES!

I was struggling with a scheme for a while (knowing i really wanted desert) and all the colours and washes just looked dirty to me. So I experimented and threw on one of the golds (looks like copper) and its great. I'll upload pictures later. Tonight I'm stripping every unit I have to start over from scratch.

So here's what my army will consist of as of next monday, when the rest of it ships:

- Two Saurus units
    -Two Temple Guard
    -Two Skink units - WILL BE CONVERTED TO CHAMO SKINKS
    -Two Cav
    -On foot old blood
    -Stegadon - Solar Engine (duh)
    -Bastilidaon - Engine of the Gods

Non-Seraphon
    -Two Empire Mages
    *THE BEST PARTS ABOUT THIS ARMY*
    -Necrosphinx
    -Liche Priest (for healing the sphix)

I decided to add the Necrosphix for fluff (and because its fucking badass) to fit the desert them. I also bought it because my room mate likes to run Bel'Achor and soul grinders. The NS is a wonderful anti-monster monster. Last week it literally took 30 bloodletters and Bel to take it down, as well as like 3 debuffs.

What do you guys think? Advice? Thoughts? I'm a very new painter and would seriously love some advice on painting as well.

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

How about painting your Saurus with a King Cobra pattern on their crest?

Bowser and Crowsfoot like this.
  3. Freddy25
    Kroxigor

Freddy25 Well-Known Member

Nice choice, @jinaragunlark!

Your army sounds really badass,
    and I'm with you when you say the Necrosphinx rocks!

Once I tested it in a 1-to-1 vs Loard Kroak: I had the amphibian and my brother the statue...
    ... and well, he wrecked me in ONE TURN!!!

In my defense I have to say I'm in a bad relationship with dice in general...

Looking forward for some pictures: I honestly can't help you with painting 'cause I'm not so good at it, but I bet it will come out beautiful!

P.S. Am I the only lover of Bastiladon with Ark of Sotek (aka the Bastilark)?!? :'(

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  4. Tlac'Natai the Observer
    Cold One

Tlac'Natai the Observer Active Member

I'm just glad to hear of another desert seraphon army! I'm in the process of building one as well, and I'd really like to see your take on the color schemes.

Also interested in your fluff if you have any, I always love good fluff

5. CaptainFaux
    Saurus

CaptainFaux Member

Wooo! I'm glad you guys are interested. I'll post some pictures of what I have tonight before i strip them. I'll post step by step with what I use so you can can get ideas or help. I got the last of the paints I wanted today. :)

I picked up some bush for my skink comversions. For the camo skinks I'm going to use different types of scenery and at least one of them will be in a barrel.

I'm still trying to figure out the different schemes for what units, especially the wizards and sphinx. here's what I have on my phone.

The wizard head is one where I took the flaming skull and cut the hand off and put the head option on the staff. For the sphinx, I'm looking for a lizard head (preferably a skull) to put in there. This one is a stupid 1 dollar thing I cut off. It's awful. It looks like Skeletor lol.

Attached Files:

Bowser likes this.
  6. Tlac'Natai the Observer
    Cold One

Tlac'Natai the Observer Active Member

I'm a huge fan of those copper scales, it's not too overwhelming for being a shiny type of paint

7. CaptainFaux
    Saurus

CaptainFaux Member

Me too. They're so me, too. I'm going to do the shields the same base gold and follow up with highlights and dry brush to make it very shiny bright gold.

8. CaptainFaux
    Saurus

CaptainFaux Member

Day one: Bought myself a gallon of Super Clean (about $9 at walmart). Poured it in a plastic container after filling said container with iniatures. WARNING: YOU MUST USE GOOD GLOVES WHEN CLEANING THE PAINT. IT IS A VERY STRONG BASE CHEMICAL AND WILL BURN THE FUCK OUT OF YOU.!!!!

Attached Files:

9. Gogery
    Saurus

Gogery Member

Very nice use of bits on that TG banner, simple yet effective! Gives it a whole new feel.

So I take it the Super Clean worked well? Did it have any negative effects on the miniatures? (I've been looking for a good paint remover for a while)

10. CaptainFaux
    Saurus

CaptainFaux Member

Thanks Gogery! I forgot to mention it when I was uploading. The other TG banner has the same sort of thing but with the other style of bits, which is like the half circle of skulls. For that one I plan to colour them like gems. As for the super clean, I'll let you know more tonight once I get gloves and I'm able to clean them up.

11. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Be careful with fine cast models they melt quickly.

Chuck some photos up in the painting section if you need any help or just want some comments on your progress.

We don't bite in there, honest....

http://www.lustria-online.com/forums/painting-and-converting.16/

12. CaptainFaux
    Saurus

CaptainFaux Member

Hahaha. I'll be sure to.

Wait. Now I'm worried. Which models are finecast?

13. Gogery
    Saurus

Gogery Member

Finecast is the resin cast that's been replacing the metal casts of miniatures for a while. Models used to be labelled specifically as "finecast" on the GW site, but the name got a bad rep, so now it just calls them "finely detailed resin cast kit." I believe the Lizardmen finecast models include some of the heroes, the hunting packs, chameleon skinks, and kroxigor. You can check on their site which ones are resin to be safe.

14. CaptainFaux
    Saurus

CaptainFaux Member

Well, I just finished stripping the entire army with no major problems. A skink lost an arm, but that's it.

15. Kor-Lot-Ko
    Skink

Kor-Lot-Ko Member

Finecast models are made of resin and usually lords/heroes. I don't think the lizards have any, but i know that other armies do.

16. CaptainFaux
    Saurus

CaptainFaux Member

Got it! I didn't think so because they'd probably be a little pricy. Anyways here's an update (I'll post in the art thread too). Army was stripped with Super Clean with no problems. I was surprised when 99% of the paint washed off at about 18 hours of soaking. The plastic was fine and all details are in tact. Just finished priming them with white primer.... out my dorm window lol. I may have ro clean off that brick.

Attached Files:

Gogery likes this.
  17. CaptainFaux
    Saurus

CaptainFaux Member

First of the Brightscales. Fluff coming soon.

Attached Files:

18. CaptainFaux
    Saurus

CaptainFaux Member

The pile of failed experiments and the evolution of the desert scheme. Current winner is white primer, ushabti bone base, sepia shade and gahenna's gold OVERBRUSH technique instead of the the drybrush. Overbrushing gave the scales the solid, bright highlight I was looking for but without clogging up or covering the shade.

Attached Files:

Crowsfoot, Fhanados and Bowser like this.
  19. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

These look so cool! These are great colors for a desert theme!