1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Developing Seraphon Army from SC

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by Bradifer, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Bradifer
    Skink

Bradifer Member

Hey guys,

I bought two Seraphon Start Collecting boxes.

I originally got into Seraphon as a Nids-Monster Mash style player, and I liked the dinosaurs.

Looking to build on the Start Collecting Boxes into some match play style armies.

Overall, the Seraphon seem extremely versatile, another reason why I bought them over Beastclaw Raiders (also monsters, but they seem like charge and the tactics part of the game is over).

Should a Seraphon player try to go the route of versatility? I.e. Some magic, some ranged DPS, some foot soldiers, some fast attack?

Or should a Seraphon player focus on one of the three?

I was thinking the Bastiladon looks amazing as a decent ranged DPS, tanky shooting unit, I almost want to run two. But I wanted to use a beasty frontline with a Carnasaur + Troglodon (or another Carnasaur). (Or even a Stegadon if they're any good).

Not much of a fan of mass-foot trooper horde armies, although I have a number of Saurus troops now, I don't have to use them, don't mind if they're shelved forever.

So, anyone have ideas for focusing a Seraphon army tactics, or specifically viable Monster focused Seraphon lists?

TL:DR Should Seraphon focus strengths or make a versatile list? What might be a good Monster Mash style Seraphon list?

P.S. I read the Monster Mash 2k lists people proposed in the army list section, but there wasn't much of a final insight as to what synergies actually paid off.

---------------
    What about choosing offensive vs. defensive vs. mixed?

The defensive lists...just seems better. However it does seem like it's not as fun to play against. Although it's still moving around a bit and holding objectives, so there's some play vs. and against it. What about Carnosaurs and Troglodons, any good in def lists?

The offensive army, while fun, seems like you just clash both armies in the middle of the battle i.e. wall of death. Ironjawz/Ogres/Khorne/Daemons seem better at just bashing in melee combat. I could run the Fireclaw Starhost, and thought about it, alongside some rippers, there's plenty of options for assaulting key units.

So this is over 2000 points, but seems like it's a start for the defensive list, not sure what to trim as people all seem to hate Kroak (he is too good, or the opposite; he isn't worth his points). It helps I already own the 10 Chem Skinks, and ripper dactyl's seem quite fun.

http://bit.ly/2aG8CKx

What are your thoughts on the Thunderquake starhost formation?

Also how are people handling summoning these days? It's near useless in match play right?

What about kitchen-table games, is it sortof lame to start plopping down extra points worth of guys? Summoning is so odd.

Bowser likes this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

The Thunderquake makes for a hood defensive army, choose savage and reroll saves and wound rolls. Makes them tough to kill, and that much more likely to dtand their ground as they stomp through people.
    Kroak is still a viable option in matched play as is summoning, you just have to kow how to use it to your advantage. Kroak is a good sniper, or those hard to get heroes that the other guy is depending on. The build around Kroak would be to have an eternal starhost, astrolith bearer and the engine of the gods. Watch his comets devastate, insane control over the engine (roll 4 dice choose three.)
    Theow in some deep strikers (Shadowstrike ) or some good dps (or both) and keep control of your board

Summoning is good, it works like reinforcements in matched play, and can be a bit cheesy in open. If you're playing open and want to have a fun game set limits with your opponent.
    Halfway through the game your objective hunting troops are coming in where you need them while your monsters have the opponents troops engaged.