1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9th Age Discussion of OpenHammer (ETC) and Ninth Age (Swedish Comp)

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Pinktaco, Jul 21, 2015.

1. serbianwolf
    Cold One

serbianwolf Active Member

whats wrong with blowpipes? i missed that part

2. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

The Sauric Ace Well-Known Member

They tend to hit on a 7, meaning no poison ;) at least from depending on how to use them :)

3. serbianwolf
    Cold One

dpuble tap and long range means you hit on 6s which is reealy all you care about...i like blowpipes wouldnt whant to loose them...

4. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

You forget that they don't have quick to fire so they suffer from moving as well. That's 7+ To Hit :)

Also you don't lose anything. The suggestion was to move Cameleons to core which makes up for that. A solution could be to have cameleons be 10pts without scouting and have it as an upgrade for 2pts.

Would you have an issue with paying 3pts more for a blowpipe unit with BS4 and camoflage in core? I think it's a fair exchange.
    Cameleons aren't the most used unit to begin with since we also have Terradons to do the same job.

The alternative would obviously be to either give current blowpipe skirmishers either Quick to Fire (which I don't like) or BS4 + increased price (which is what the above is already suggesting).

5. serbianwolf
    Cold One

mhhm mhmm i see your point....

well perhapse, and I am just thinking out loud, the cheaper version without the camougflage is better, 'cause you want to use as many of them as possible since you need a lot of dice thrown to get those 6's.....

6. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

I like the chameleons in core, especially if they also were, like you suggested Pink, 10 pts with +2 pts for scout. This would really add to the usefulness of chameleons, since you could field quite a bit more, and have them both has they are used now and use them as slightly more frighting skink clouds. I can see a lot of uses for such a change, and would love to make an army with far more chamo guys than before :D

7. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

We're only allowed to take 4 of the same units with the 9th age rules :)

I think 80 poisoned shots should satisfy most. :p

8. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

Thinking about this feature a little more, I must say I feel like it's the ideal solution for the blowpipe problem ;)
    Getting 20 poison shots for 100 points core, is pretty decent. The -2 to hit is the icing on the cake :p
    This won't suddenly make us a high tier army, it keeps the theme of the army and it makes for a better core selection. Javelins skinks aren't redundant either, they are a cheaper and easier choice to field, if screening is the tactic you want.

9. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

10. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

I haven't gotten my email confirmation yet -.-

EDIT: it was in my junk folder :p stupid outlook. ...

11. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Also a skink cloud is still "viable" although it's very expensive :p

12. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Oh lul... I check www.openhammer.org today. It have had 626 visitors since the website went online. the 9th Age forum have had 100+ today alone. :p

13. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

That's what you get when you decide give -1 to Ld to sauruses ;)

14. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

So did we agree on not having PF or was it just some good argument against re-rolls in general, made us abandon the idea?

If a little of column a and a little of column b, I have a suggestion:
    PF: on a roll of six the saurus makes a fiercer strike, due to its predatory nature. This attack has +1 S.

15. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

this is what I put into our list of suggestions:

Maybe (not sure) remove the Predatory Fighter army special rule
    If PF remain let it work for all ranks and make that clear with no misunderstandings

So I'll leave it up to the developers to do what they think. I don't particular mind PF, but if we keep it it should be streamlined.

16. serbianwolf
    Cold One

only 80???? just kidding :p but it would cost 400 points...

17. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

But at the same time, you get a quite large range of variation in core and a neat unit for a lot of uses. Bs4 and -2 to hit, I would field them more often, then not :) especially for 10 pts core

18. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Sure, it's 120pts more expensive than current cost, however, you also have a much more superior unit. These guys can actually hit something and most other ranged units hit them on 7 depending on their penalty.

It's a considerable amount, but I think it's worth it. You are very welcome to disagree and I'm willing to discuss other options. It's just that this suggestion deals with several issues :)

19. serbianwolf
    Cold One

discussion is al im aiming at...why do i think skinks are important, cause of our general army play style, (and I would like to add that I ve never played pure skink cloud, not one of those guys, I love our saurus) we have weak units compared to some of the nastys out there, and we need to be smart, outmanouvre, chaff to hell, and count on synergy to win, all Im woried about is disrupting that balance, if our chaff/redirectors become to expensive, cause they get a bonus, witch is quite fair, but unneeded for the role that they are meant to play....

Bare in mind im not clayming that i'm undisputabley right, just that this is something we should considere...

20. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

We are probably going to get a bit more use for the saurus, with the new improved infantry (and perhaps price cut?).
    The ordinary skink javelins got "nerfed" by adding a point, so I'm pretty sure that we get that point back with saurus warriors hrtting improved to a clear 10 pts. They mentioned ed that HaS will be a choice, though, so perhaps 9 pts and +1 for shield :)