1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Doppelganger Cloak

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Aginor, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Hey y'all!

I noticed that there aren't too many people mentioning the Doppelganger Cloak (Ulgu artefact) in their lists and I wonder why.

The DC prevents a unit to be attacked in combat unless it attacked first.

If it is played like I assume it is, it is a quite powerful artefact for many lists.

...but maybe it isn't played as I think?

Example:
    You have an Oldblood on Carno, carrying the DC. He and a unit of Skinks are charged by a unit of Ironjawz Brutes.
    If the enemy now forgot about the DC he is forced to attack the Skinks with all the Brutes that are in range. He is forced to pile in on the Carno though, if that is the closest model. That might mean that only one - or even no - Brute can make any attacks. Then once the Brutes are done, the Carno will attack them. At full health that's pretty nice.
    And in the next turn the Brutes cannot attack at all. The Skinks will retreat, the Brutes are not allowed to attack the Carno so they can do nothing, and the Carno can attack them again.

So basically the questions I have are:
    - If you cannot attack the bearer, do you still have to treat him normally otherwise?
    So do you have to pile in on him if he is the nearest model?
    - the rules say that if you are in melee combat, you have to attack. You cannot elect not to fight. If you cannot attack something else with a unit, do you really lose the right to attack completely?

The alternative would be that the units near the DC bearer are activated last, after the bearer was activated. So similar to how the Quicksilver Potion worked, which just moved the bearer to spot one in the activation sequence.
    But then I think that's a stretch, the rules just don't say it that way.

Soo... opinions? :)

LizardWizard likes this.
  2. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

IggyStarhost Well-Known Member

I think it lost most of it presence since the Faq, limiting it once per Battle. And for the questions, I just think the opponent loses initiative of attack you first if their are not other targets. And later attack when the Carno has attacked. Since you have to attack, also with the carno. The rest stays the same I guess, just a change in attack order

LizardWizard likes this.
  3. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Ok, once per battle makes it a lot worse. I had actually forgotten about that change.
    Might still be worth it for a Firelance for example, but yeah, that's probably the reason why it isn't used mode often.

LizardWizard and IggyStarhost like this.
  4. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

IggyStarhost Well-Known Member

It was a bit to OP on certain beatstick heroes :p

LizardWizard likes this.
  5. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

I switch out Sword of Judgement for Doppleganger Cloak on my Carnosaur in my DT/SS list depending on the meta. It is an awesome artifact.

Aginor likes this.