1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Dual-Carno list needs a little love

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by PaxXx, Apr 17, 2015.

1. PaxXx
    Skink

PaxXx New Member

Hi guys.

I'm building a dual-carnosaur list, inspired by ZaGreekies tactic-threads and some other posts about it.

I just need a little help on what to include/not include in the list. It's for 2400 point games :)

Without further ado:

Lords:
    OB on Carnosaur with Loping Stride and Bloodroar
    - GW, Armour of Destiny, Crown of Command and Luckstone

Heroes:
    BSB Scar Vet. on Carnosaur with Loping Stride and Bloodroar.
    - LA, Spear, Talisman of Preservation and Charmed shield

Skink priest with lore of beasts
    - Level 2 wizard and dispel scroll

Core:
    34 Saurus Warriors
    - HW&S, full command

10 Skink Cohorts

10 Skink Skirmishers

11 Skink Skirmishers

Special:
    Bastiladon w. Solar Engine

6 Camo Skinks

4 Kroxigors w. Ancient

3 Terradon Riders

Rare:
    2 Salamanders in 1 hunting pack

Total: 2348 points.

What do I need to include/remove for the rest of my points? :)

My only thoughts about the list was to include a little magical defense, with a lv. 2 wizard+dispel scroll.

In regards of magic in the offense, I'll mostly just 6 dice the Bastiladons Solar Engine and use whatever is left on the priests 2 spells.

I wanted to include as many large target beasts as possible, but I could only include 3 without feeling that the list was lacking elsewhere :/

Thoughts? :)

2. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Bainbow Well-Known Member

Four Krox would go down rather easy by my experience.

Mr Phat likes this.
  3. Elholm
    Skink

Elholm Member

as pointed out by Bainbow, the krox unit is a little small, but have its place and will probably be ignored until after your carnos are dead :)... anyway if you drop them and one sally then you have more than enough for a ancient steg and almost an ancient steg with eotg and sharpend horns for the priest ;) you could also drop the krox for another basti (and a second laser) and additional chamo...

another thing to think about is: Do you really need bloodroar... i know its cool to see that deathstar unit flee, but you want the carno in CC and it would be a shame to bloodroar your only target away and then get shot next turn... just something to consider... i am toying with this kind of list too and i strongly consider to drop the awesome bloodroar

4. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

somebody is probably going to say that great weapons are better than spears...

5. FRYtheEGGofQUANGO
    Skink

FRYtheEGGofQUANGO Member

He should keep blood roar; he has included chamo skinks and terradons in his force, so that means he can use blood roar to great effect with double charging. Also, the image of a carnosaur's bloodroar is really cool imo. And forcing an enemy deathstar to flee is a great scenario, even if it means the carno doesn't make it into combat that turn!

A great weapon on the scar vet is probably best. With spear+shield, he has a 2+ AS, but with great weapon he has a 3+ AS. But remember, he can use a charmed shield against shooting/magic, where he has a 2+ AS. When carnosaurs get into combat, my experience with them is the opponant ALWAYS focuses down the carnosaur first, so the saurus character will always be able to strike (even with a GW). Also, this is important for challenges, where your carno is allowed to strike first, so you can get your mass D3 wounds through for overkill, which is not possible if the character swings first (and kills the enemy).

I don't like the 4 kroxigor; too easy to kill, and there are better options out there. Not sure what to say on this, though.

6. Elholm
    Skink

Elholm Member

I forgot the potential loses from the flying units as you mentioned, i only suggested that incase short of points somewhere... i agree very much with the idea of the bloodroar image :)

7. Skinquisitor
    Kroxigor

Skinquisitor Member

In my opinion for a 'good' dual carno list, include the following:
    -gerneral on carnosaur (looping stride>bloodroar)
    -bsb on carnosaur (looping stride>bloodroar)
    -tetto'eko!!!!
    -scrollbearer
    -core: forget saurus, way too slow to follow your dinos, contain cohorts and skirimshers!
    -2x chamos
    -2x ancient stegs
    This is the ammount thats about to be 2400 points.

8. PaxXx
    Skink

PaxXx New Member

Thanks for all the replies guys, appreciate it! :)

I will try to answer some of the points made:

About Kroxigors. I really wanted to try them out (never used them before), and read in Lustrias tactica here, that 2x2 was probably the best use of them, because of footprint, etc. I really like the idea about a lot of S7 attacks, but I can see your points, and I am considering to remove them for an Ancient Stegadon, because I like the idea about a lot of big beasts (and by removing the Kroxigors, I can actually afford an Ancient with sharpened horns, because of the points I had in spare).

I agree that Saurus' might be too slow to follow my dinos, but I feel like I kinda need an anvil for all the hammers in my army. I might be wrong though. I've previosly had a lot of success with Saurus', so I kinda like them. Probably one of the parts I have to try out for myself, to see if I feel like they are too slow for my army.

Since Scar Vets "only" has a 5+ scaly skin, I kinda liked the idea of both characters being with a 2+ AS and 4+ ward. Plus I like the charmed shield for the character. Besides, I think it was the exact same build that Zagreekie used in a tournament-list, which was what I just copy-pasted. But I don't disagree about the fact that GW's are great on characters mounted on a Carnosaur in general :)

I agree about Loping Stride>Bloodroar, and I will strongly consider removing it from one or both of the Carnosaurs. Probably just one of them, but depends on points, etc. :)

I read about Tetto in a Dual-Carno-list or in lists with lots of cowboys, and I admit it sounds neat! BUT, my group play after the old rules, with limitations on characters, and it's kinda hard to both field Tetto, a scroll-caddie, AND a BSB-Carnosaur for 600 pts :)..
    Besides, I liked the idea of my list only containing magic-users for defense, while all the magical offense was in innate abilities, which are a lot more "safe" to use. With a Tetto in the list, he would most likely use up all my power dice, which was meant for the Bastiladon. An extra Bastiladon could work, but in most cases I would have to divide the power dice a bit more, than if I could just throw it all in one. On the other hand, I could afford to lose 1 Bastiladon and still use "the laser", if I had 2 in my list. It would also get me even more beasts! :D

9. Man0waR
    Kroxigor

Man0waR Member

My 2 cents on your Lord & Hero options

Olblood scaly skin (4+), mounted on carnosaur (3+) , charmed shield (2+) , light armour (1+)
    Talisman of preservation (4++).

Scarvet scaly skin (5+), Armour of destiny (3+/4++) , shield (2+) mounted on carnosaur (1+)
    Same combination, improved save.

About core, toss in 2x skrox. 24/3 is very good. They can follow and also they can bring some high strength attacks, they are slighty more protected from light shooting (as we already know Kroxigors die so easily, better be skinks who take the punishment) and what is more important, you bring 6 Kroxigors from core pool.

I would bring 2 priest. Cube & Dispel Scroll is a must. Double Heavens.

10. Skinquisitor
    Kroxigor

Skinquisitor Member

Well, its up to you:) I suggested more monsters because of target saturation.

11. GreenMachine
    Skink

GreenMachine Member

Forgive me as I've NEVER used a carnosaur so my "advice" might be wrong but why do you need the crown of command? I'm just assuming that he's not going to be charged into combats where there's a good chance someone is going to outright kill the carnosaur and in that case you should do more than enough wounds to not have to take a break test.

12. MasterKrox
    Saurus

MasterKrox Member

Because you might flub your roles or hit a hard unit that has alot of static rez you want to be able to always test on that ld8 rather than get bumped to a 5 or lower... bret knight buses come to mind with their 5++ ward

13. GreenMachine
    Skink

GreenMachine Member

That's a good point. Especially with the carnosaur's WS.

14. Skoui
    Skink

Skoui New Member

with a dual carno i used to play some ripperdactyl ,if you succeed to keep them into the command area of your general they are awesome ,and they perfectly deal with canon ,archer and little elite group (which can deal with your carnos).

for your priest take at least 1 beast lore ,its pretty awesome (wyssam on 1 carno = loooot of fun ^^).

Be carefull playing with double carno need some skill ,but if you succeed to coordonate your charge you will doom every enemy ,thanks to the 1d3 wound ,nom nom nom monstruous cavalry and infantry(and for big infantry regiment charge by flank with your 2 carno and a steg or a bastiladon on front = "clever girl", just let the terror kill us ah ah ah)[​IMG]
    so keep training ,dual carno are ssssoooo more fun than a simple slann , and ... come on dude you are playing with 2 T-REX !!! DEAL WITH IT FOOL !:cool:

Bracnos and ZeTe like this.
  15. ZeTe
    Saurus

ZeTe Member

I'm still toying with the idea of building a dual carno list, but i wasn't sure if it was viable or not but from reading this post it is quite clear with a bit of practice it can be a fun and deadly army to play. must go get a second carno asap :D

thanks for posting this <3

16. Bracnos
    Carnasaur

Bracnos Well-Known Member

im working on a dread saurus with a carno so i wonder ho they will work together :cool:

ZeTe likes this.
  17. ZeTe
    Saurus

ZeTe Member

i was going to get a dread saurian but i could not find the rules for it anywhere so decided not to buy one, if you could show me in the right direction to find said rules that would be much appreciated :D

18. Bracnos
    Carnasaur

Bracnos Well-Known Member

I could only find the rules for AOS on the web sight. But my google fu has gotten better and ill look around for it;)

19. ZeTe
    Saurus

ZeTe Member

no worries thanks a lot