1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Dumbledore's Army (army shots and new work)

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Dumbledore, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Dumbledore
    Ripperdactil

Dumbledore New Member

Just finished exams and have thrown myself into painting. This is my first army and painting as I only started collecting a month or so ago. I should have proper photos with good light, a decent camera (ie not my phone) and a white background soon but for the meanwhile I'll throw you a picture of my first week's work (I assembled it all when I first started but only had time to paint the TG before exams, the rest has been in the last half week!).

IMG00081-20090627-1832.jpg

Blending has been my new best friend as I am very new to acrylics, only having known oils. I had particular fun with the cold one who blends from red to a sandy belly as well as the marble stone on the kroxigor. I'm using the same sandy belly on every figure to tie everything together.

Just finishing my spear saurus now and would warmly welcome any feedback. Bear in mind that the horrible light destroys all highlights while the phone camera drains all colour. Proper pictures hopefully will follow soon.

2. WheelR
    Chameleon Skink

WheelR New Member

Re: Dumbledore's Army (first week of painting)

Those scales look alot like the ones i use..(Mine got purple skin though) It is a nice sight for sure.
    Those skinks are nice too.. with the dark upper part of their head and the red eyes sure work well with it.

Good Job i'd say!

3. Dumbledore
    Ripperdactil

Dumbledore New Member

Some better photos, though still with the horrible phone camera. Oddly the very very yellow light made for much better pictures. It still makes very light highlights as well as any drybrushing look very odd.

Kroxigor:
    IMG00115-20090628-2249.jpg
    IMG00114-20090628-2249.jpg

Scar vet on CO:
    IMG00112-20090628-2248.jpg
    IMG00113-20090628-2249.jpg

Saurus CO rider Standard, WIP obviously:
    IMG00118-20090628-2254.jpg

4. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

From what I can see, they're looking very good. Excellent work with the blending! I'll be keen to see more of them.

5. Dumbledore
    Ripperdactil

Dumbledore New Member

One more for today, just trying some green marble. Needs more layers to dull the highlights, but it's a start:
    IMG00128-20090629-0256.jpg
    Thanks for the encouragement and advice.

6. Dumbledore
    Ripperdactil

Dumbledore New Member

Ok, I just bought and constructed an EotG and I must say whoever sculpted the model so that all those different options fit together seamlessly is an absolute genius.
    I have 4 and 3/4 models left till my 1k starter army is complete (4 CORs, 1/2 the COR standard bearer and 1/4 of the scar vet on foot left to do). I just set up a learner game for myself against one of the guys at my local GW for next week, so I hope to have it finished by next Wednesday or so and will put up unit pictures.
    I finished the green marble and am much happier with it. It is considerably harder than the grey/purple one as it is harder to get it strong enough that it stands out enough to be noticeable from a distance yet subtle enough when viewed close up. Having been to my local GW i now realise that a pot of dark angels green would have been handy. Oh well.

7. Barotok
    Terradon

Barotok New Member

My compliments on the green marble pictured above. It is spectacular!

8. Dumbledore
    Ripperdactil

Dumbledore New Member

Ok I've nearly finished a bunch of stuff so here are some of my units. I may touch up my Chakax model but other than that I'm pretty happy with him.

Here is the first model I ever painted:
    IMG00162-20090702-1408.jpg

The subsequent unit:
    IMG00159-20090702-1407.jpg

My first skink:
    IMG00164-20090702-1408.jpg
    IMG00165-20090702-1409.jpg

Skink + Krox unit:
    IMG00168-20090702-1411.jpg

Saurus + Scar vet unit (need to do 5 spear heads and paint all their eyes, tongues and teeth):
    IMG00157-20090702-1405.jpg

Scar vet:
    IMG00154-20090702-1354.jpg
    IMG00150-20090702-1353.jpg
    IMG00153-20090702-1354.jpg
    IMG00151-20090702-1353.jpg

The skin colour for this guy is a bit off in the pictures and all the bone has come out very oddly as usual. Oh well, wish I had a proper camera. The marble also looks MUCH better in real life.

9. strewart
    OldBlood

Looks good, and fantastic for first few attempts at painting models. I quite like the blue and bone, it still has the GW feel to it yet it is still unique and the colours work very well together.

Now to decide what you want to do with the base, that is when a model really looks finished. ;)

10. Dumbledore
    Ripperdactil

Dumbledore New Member

Yeaaah I can't wait to get them based and see them all on a board facing the enemy

11. snowywlf
    Cold One

snowywlf New Member

Wow, now those are some models you should be very proud of!

I hope to manage as well with mine (I'm new to the hobby, just about have everything assembled right now, nothing painted). I really really enjoy your Temple Guard and Skinks. I've always been on the fence about green based lizardmen, but your dark greens with yellow and even hints of orange and tan look phenomenal. They look extremely natural, as if you could actually find them secretly living in a jungle here on earth. Kudos!

Please keep adding more pics. These threads really get me excited about Warhammer.

Oh, and how did you get such an incredibly smooth blend on your cold one standard?

12. Dumbledore
    Ripperdactil

Dumbledore New Member

More is coming, don't worry. If you're new to the hobby as I was then the best thing to do is book a painting lesson or two at your local GW as they give really good advice for painting and figuring out colour schemes. I did indeed come up with my colour scheme when thinking of real lizards I'd seen in India. The standard was actually the quickest and easiest blend I've done so far, though I did it in two stages. First i wet blended my red foundation (mechrite red) to dheneb stone, keeping it wet and moving the brush continuously (taking about a minute of brushwork). After that I did a slower normal blend of red gore to sunburst yellow (this time taking about three minutes with a brush) once it had dried. It's easy since they are such plainly different colours on an incredibly easily accessible surface. Oh and I pretty much only ever use a large brush on the blends, unless I want to blend on a scale or something.

13. Dumbledore
    Ripperdactil

Dumbledore New Member

Thanks for the replies. I've just got a friend over from uni so it's been slow painting but I have my cold one riders finished for you to see and the stegadon is coming on nicely. When it's got a few coats I'll put something up for you guys to see. I'll also play a game later this week if all goes to plan, woop woop.

14. Dumbledore
    Ripperdactil

Dumbledore New Member

Well it's been a long two weeks with very little painting. Oddly I've been working far far harder than before or during exams. It's also sunny outside so as a result very little progress has been made and I haven't even played a game.

Basically all there is to show is my EotG's stegadon, and even that is a tentative first layer.

IMG00201-20090721-1856.jpg

Basically I've only bothered with the skin and scales, doing a REALLY rough blend job to just generally map out the general colour transitions I'll be having on the skin... from top to bottom dark redish brown to deep red to pinky orange to dirty yellow to dirty white, with the crevasses in the folded flesh being lighter (more tender skin) than the ridges of the creases.
    The feet are not blended at all, I'm thinking of having them go either quite quickly from white to deep red/reddish brown near the toes(contrasting nicely with the bone of the toenail things), though may just have them transition to dirty white from the yellowish and pink flesh. What do you guys think? I'm leaning heavily towards the former now that I've typed it all out.
    The scales are brown/purple highlighted thickly with a blue similar in tone and not far off in colour.

So the work to do: reblend all the subtle blending transitions in the skin and feet :rolleyes:, then several highlights on the wrinkle and wear-and-tear details on all of the creases and natural little marks all over, heaviest on the edges of the crests. Similarly I'm going to have to whip out the fine detail brush for the scales and if i can bring myself to it blend highlights on every damn scale going from swiftly from dark brown (which will merge with the puprle/blue) to a very light brown(almost bleached bone) to really make the scales POP. Oh and maybe a few washes on the flesh (and then re-blending to correct any minor mistakes or touches :rolleyes:) before highlighting. Sigh.
    And all that before I do the palanquin or skinks.
    It's been a tough week with the death of a pet dog (which I have known for almost 16 years) the death of a friend (my age- 20, quite shocking though we were not incredibly close) and a sprained right hand wrist (not near as serious but just as bad news for painting). All in all I can't wait to get back into painting. I also have 24 blowpipe skinks and 6 spare saurus spearmen to pump out as well as a two foot by four foot realistic oil portrait of a dog for the set of my friend's play to start work on... Oh and lots of probability and statistics to learn, but at least that will aid my game!

15. strewart
    OldBlood

Wow, as a rough start I really like your choice of colours. That steg is going to look great when you finish it. The scales are looking particularly good.

Sorry to hear about your crap week. Just remember, things will turn around.

16. Dumbledore
    Ripperdactil

Dumbledore New Member

First highlights half done:
    IMG00228-20090725-0110.jpg

I got some of the new range of brushes and they are SWEET. The fine detail holds moisture much better and the wash brush is handy. They seem to be made of a marginally better hair or whatever, which makes a big difference.

Comment and criticism more than welcome. I was much more heavy handed than I usually am with the washes, and darker with my first coats of the skin as I want to be more graphic than usual and sneak some strong highlights in there.

17. strewart
    OldBlood

Its looking fantastic. A lot darker than I imagined, but you have mentioned why. A few bright highlights around the place should give it a lot of depth and make it look really cool.

Keep up the good work!

Oh, what brand of brushes is it? The really good ones use Sable, my brushes are getting a bit worn at the moment so I am looking around at different brands to buy.

18. Gexmofia
    Skink

Gexmofia New Member

I really like your cold one riders. I tried to do a similiar color skeme but it didnt turn out so well haha. Maybe ill steal an idea or two off of you XD

19. Dumbledore
    Ripperdactil

Dumbledore New Member

SO much time and so little painting. I've mainly been touching things up and still have not completed my EotG. I have, however, procured a salamander as well as 3 terradons for which I trivially converted some riders. The rest of my painting has simply been touching things up here and there.

EotG progress:

IMG00309-20091003-2337.jpg
    IMG00312-20091003-2338.jpg

The legs on the side shown in the second picture are not yet painted. Only one or two bits of bone/tusk are painted properly. The scales and howdah are only basecoated but shouldn't be too much work.

IMG00315-20091003-2345.jpg

Some blue got under his eye, that bit is gone now (it was an undercoat for some brown that I missed). I think I'll do the bone and spikes tomorrow. Terradons soon, while I finish off the EotG and crew between doing other things.

I still really really wish I had a proper camera.

20. mijj22
    Skink

mijj22 New Member

wow ur army looks incredible, really love the scales on ur saurus