1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion Dungeons and Dragons "Lizardfolk," perhaps it can provide inspiration for us?

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by Scalenex, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

The first 46 seconds of this is a paid sponsor ad. But other than that, this is a very succinct and entertaining discussion from D&D Lizardfolk.

So Lizardmen and Seraphon are often depicted as being very alien from human. They bestial urges married to a robotic devotion to the Old One's Will and/or the Slann.

Some fluff writers (like myself), like to write Lizardmen being very human in personality and emotions. There is no correct answer for how human, how bestial, or how robotic to make Lizardmen or Seraphon.

This is a good example of one of the extremes, and Drax from Guardian of the Galaxy, is a good simile.

This video might be inspiration for Sauri or Kroxigor.

I especially like that Lizardfolk are not dumb, they are just very very single minded towards their goals. Lizardfolk could easily be adapted to a Warhammer setting in an almost a Three Laws of Robotics.

The first Law of Lizardmen (or Seraphon): A Lizardmen may not disobey the order of a Slann.

The Second Law of Lizardmen: A Lizardmen must take every possible action to ensure his survival except when it conflicts with the First Law.

The Third Law of LIzardmen: A Lizardmen must take every possible action to ensure the survival of other Lizardmen except when it conflicts with the First or Second Law.

Hope the video provides useful inspiration for your fluff and/or interesting discussion on this thread.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    Aginor, Lizerd, bOdziO Wolf and 5 others like this.
  2. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

Indeed, this is interesting. As a friend is running tomb of annihilation and me and a friend are playing lizardmen, this can help us role play our characters.

as for emotion, this is my option coupled with some research and experiments. The idea that reptiles are emotionless is generally wrong, and this would apply as well to lizardmen. Reptiles simply put don’t display emotions like mammals hence why people write them off as emotionless. More likely a lizard man would display their emotions in a more reptilian way. Rather than expressing things through non existent facial muscles, this could be expressed with their tails or body language and posture, namely vibrating or shaking.

3. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I watched that video some time ago and while I think that D&D lizardmen are a bit too feral amd dumb for me to really like, I do like your Lizardmen laws!

Lizerd likes this.