1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elimination Painting Challenge

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by sevensevensare49, Mar 21, 2011.

1. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

SeBM had a great idea recently for a slow painters challenge, to motivate us slow painters out there to get something done. That one is scheduled to end April 10, and i love the idea of challenges to keep me motivated to paint. So i had an idea:
    Using SeBM's points scheme here: http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/to-all-the-slow-painters-out-here.6076/ Paint whatever you like, and at the end of a certain time the person with the lowest points is eliminated and so forth until we have a winner!

Was thinking about starting this on April 1, with possibly 2 weeks between eliminations depends on how many people are interested.

Anyone interested in participating? Or ideas to make it better/easier/fairer?

2. Thunda Parrot
    Skink

Thunda Parrot New Member

I wouldn't mind jumping in on this one since i missed the other one

sounds fun :D

3. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

cool Thunda - hopefully we'll get a few more people interested!

the points system will be as follows:
    Other races are of course acceptable - points calculated as above. If there's a unit that doesn't fit into one of the above categories, shout it out and we'll work out a value.

4. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

While I think this is a GREAT format, here's my two cents on why we should wait a little before starting the Elimination Painting Challenge.

- We haven't finished the slow painter challenge yet. It's a bad idea to have 2 challenges going on at the same time.

- We are getting at a point of the year where a lot of people are real busy with work and school. I would propose a less time consuming challenge for this period of the year and wait until summer to start the Elimination Painting Challenge.

- If you agree to wait until summer, I suggest we start another challenge by mid-april or early may, where every contestant must paint a lone character and we vote on who did the best work.

It's my 2 cents, feel free to disagree, I think the format of the challenge you propose is REALLY INTERESTING but the timing is kinda bad.

5. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

All valid points - i'm waaaaaay out of school now and on the other side of the world ;) so don't really notice US/CA school times. Never been able to understand the mid-year school start you have either, but that's a separate issue. I'm happy to wait, the longer the idea has to settle in the more people (potentially) will want to join.
    Slow painter challenge finishes April 10 - what about starting this one Good Friday, 22nd April? (assuming it's the same day over there too of course!) Long weekend = potentially lots of good painting time.

I suppose the slow painting challenge was about points, if this one is about Quality then all well and good. Variety is the spice of life and all that crap.
    I do like the idea of a single Mini to paint - it does rely on people voting though - here's my thoughts if we wanted to run this idea. Take photo of Mini beforehand; 2 weeks to paint, 1 week for voting (everyone gets one vote only, no voting for your own mini), tally votes, last eliminated. Round 2: rinse, repeat. Thoughts everyone?

6. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

2 weeks might be short since some people put lots of hours on a characters. I suggest the following timeline:

- 1 month to convert, paint and base your character
    - 1 week to vote. Voting should be advertized somewhere so the more people can vote.
    - 3 painters who get most vote get 1st, 2nd and 3rd place (we could think of some reward as well).

This should bring us in june where most people will start having more time to paint because of the summer and all. Then I suggest we proceed with the elimination format you proposed over the course of the summer.

This would give us some interesting painting competitions for the next couple of month and the different formats allow pretty much everyone to participate.

7. Juhaaha
    Razordon

Juhaaha Member

count me in

8. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

So you rekon a "Golden Lizard" challenge next up SeBM? It'd probably be too much to put classifications in as well? 20mm heroes, 40mm heroes, character on mount, monstrous creature etc?

I'll either be doing a Tyranid Mawloc or Hive Tyrant (if he arrives in time). I'm out of Lizardmen characters for the moment!

9. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

Golden Lizard would sound a bit much like TPV's Golden Old One competition. I suggest we find another name for our competition.

As for character type, I suggest we wait until we find out if many people participate on a regular basis before jumping the gun and making categories. It also reduces the possible amount of possible participants. That being said, if we end up having 15 entries and the possibility to make 2 categories, I don't see why we shouldn't.

10. Walgis
    Ripperdactil

Walgis New Member

well i guess its time to get painting, im in :)

11. Josh Ichimaru
    Cold One

Josh Ichimaru Member

Im intrested Im just waiting for my pay to go in for the last 2 weeks so i can get some blood angels. If I can paint blood angels in the contest then im in.

12. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

sure Josh, paint whatever you like.
    The elimination challenge won't be until June though on SeBM's advice.

Everyone keen for the Character Challenge to start Good Friday? (April 22)

13. Eladimir
    Salamander

Eladimir New Member

Yep count me in when the decision comes down to get started, I've got some bits and pieces left of lizardmen but overall need to get rolling on my new highelves

14. Scizith
    Skink

Scizith New Member

can anyone enter? im very new, but im down:p

15. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

you bet - the more the merrier!

16. Scizith
    Skink

Scizith New Member

well then im in!

17. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

Cool looks like we've got a few people down for the challenge. I'll start a new thread for the Character Challenge and link it back here.

EDIT: started a Character Challenge thread here. check it out to sign up!