1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Elite Guard of Texustria (painting stuff)

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by rychek, Mar 9, 2013.

1. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Re: Elite Guard of Texustria (PLOG).

I have two sets of pics here. One set I painted, the other I did not paint myself. First up the set I did not paint.

This skink was painted by the friend I bought the army from. Same for the Cold one Rider
    IMG_9586_zps91811137.jpg
    IMG_9585_zps4d38844c.jpg

IMG_9584_zps62ab2738.jpg
    IMG_9581_zps3dd053c2.jpg
    Yep. One armed cavalry. Shields are for sissies! I have arms for the few painted CoC, but they aren't painted. At this point, cavalry models are low on my list of things to paint, so their one armedness doesn't matter that much.

These models look great on the table top, but up close I think they look really sloppy. Then again, I tend to be a perfectionist who likes things very orderly. I have to force myslef to ignore some things while painting. :D

The following pics are what I worked on last night and tonight. I got a bit distracted with the Slann, then hit a point where I was waiting for it to dry, so I grabbed the nearest model. It just so happened it was one of my Carasaurs.

IMG_9590_zps0a21ec07.jpg
    IMG_9592_zps3c150902.jpg
    IMG_9591_zps0ccf1a6a.jpg

IMG_9589_zpsc74a0134.jpg
    IMG_9588_zps3b04d215.jpg

I tried to remove the Old Blood and only managed to remove the Carnasaurs body from his legs. I decided it wasn't worth the effort and potential blood letting (metal models can be brutal on the hands), so the saddle stayed.

2. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Yeah, they're ok for rank and file. I actually like the cold one there.

The WIPs look promising. What was the reason for painting the slann and carnosaur with the same colour scheme? Also, why did you remove the old blood? Are you making a conversion?

The gold on the carnosaur looks good. How'd you do it?

3. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

I tried to remove the Old Blood so I could focus on the Carnasaur. As for the color scheme, Orange and blue/teal are my main army theme. However, not all models in the army will have that scheme. Also, I have a second Carnasaur that I intend to paint a different color. :)

4. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

The Slann and the Carnosaur are coming along nicely. I like the color on the Saurus as well. Keep it uo :)

5. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

I've got family visiting at present, so I haven't had a lot of time to work on painting. I did manage to sneak in an hour or so this morning to flesh out the rest of my initial group of six Saurus. I also attempted to magnetize my Stegadon. I magnetized the Engine of the Gods and the Bolt Thrower so far. All that's left are the giant blow pipes. I don't have any magnets as small as the blow pipe mounts, but I do have some that won't look too out of place if painted. I need to experiment.

6. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Update time! I finished up (well, mostly) the six saurus I've been working on. I also whipped up an Old-Blood for kicks and giggles. Actually, I wanted to have him ready to go for the next time I face the stunties, which was supposed to be last night, but they failed to show up. At any rate and without further ado, here they are:

IMG_9692_zps47648382.jpg

IMG_9695_zps47d25b7d.jpg

IMG_9696_zps03920b0f.jpg

IMG_9698_zps9a61c6b7.jpg

IMG_9699_zps1c4dbfa5.jpg

IMG_9697_zps81f64daf.jpg

I made a few critical mistakes on the Old-Blood. The one that gets me the most was a glue issue that filled in most of the plate on his chest. The others are all fixable, but I'm not ready to dive back into working on him yet. I have too many non-painted models to work on first.

7. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

I just realized I never answered this question, so here it goes: this Carnosaur was primed black and painted with craft paints purchased from Hobby Lobby, Wal Mart, etc. I painted the gold pieces with "Antique Gold" (it's kind of a subdued yellow). From there I used Metallic Gold (this is a much more vibrant yellow and exactly what I wanted, but it's what I've got at this point). Add a quick black wash and there you have it. All of the gold on my models are painted using these steps. The black wash is the make or break step though. If it's too thick, it can really ruin things. At some point I'll probably do a light highlight with the metallic gold again. Right after I get the rider done. :)

On a side note, I had several good painting sessions over the weekend and managed to not only finish my Scar-Vet, but I also finished my BSB (though I'm pretty sure he is an old metal Temple Guard banner bearer), Saurus musician, banner bearer and unit champ. The champ still needs his pauldrons painted and glued on, but that's about it.

There was a point where I tired of painting and "fixed" some of saurus spearmen. I took eight of them (I don't think I really needed 44 spear equipped saurus when I had less then thirty HW/Shield saurus), ripped their spears arms off and glued on hand weapons. While digging through the spare bits I came across my stegadon sprue, so I buildt the crew, chief and priest. Then it hit me! The skink priest would make a better Tetto'Eko than the standard skink priest. One I get him painted, he will be pulling double duty. :)

8. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Now that I've had some time to really look at the saurus I painted over the weekend and compare them to the previous batch, I've decided they were not good enough. I spent some time this evening cleaning them up and now I believe they are presentable. Well, once I steal the camera from my wife and take some pictures they will be. :clown:

9. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Operation "Camera Snatch" was a success. Here is the proof.

BSB (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I beleive this is a Temple Guard Banner and not a Scar Vet with BSB)
    IMG_9915_zps972d38e4.jpg

Scar-Vet (I definitely like this model better than the plastic Old-Blood model)
    IMG_9911_zpsc554b11b.jpg

Saurus Command
    IMG_9900_zps54d1a092.jpg

Standard Bearer
    IMG_9912_zpsdce40dc9.jpg

The batch
    IMG_9898_zps822660de.jpg

Saurus Unit and specials
    IMG_9923_zpsf6ac059e.jpg

Arial View
    IMG_9924_zps171d2b4c.jpg

The unit champ has the red and blue crest. I hadn't really intended for his head to turn out like a flag, but my wife called it out while I was taking the pictures. I suppose it would fit the army's location if I put white spots on the blue X, but that just isn't my style.

Comments and Critiques appreciated!

10. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

I had a fairly productive weekend. Despite the fact that I didn't actually finish anything, I managed to get a pretty good start on Kroq-Gar, three Salamanders and three Kroxigors.

I still need to wash and highlight Kroq-Gar as well as put another coat of red on his crest. Otherwise, he's pretty much done.
    IMG_0021_zps26870e3a.jpg

This old salamander didn't turn out as well as the others, but it looks better now than it did before, IMO.
    IMG_0019_zps23dc26ad.jpg

IMG_0018_zps65e75010.jpg

These two turned out much better. They still need work, but they are more than good enough for table top duty.
    IMG_0017_zps4edea35d.jpg
    IMG_0023_zps3adfb470.jpg
    IMG_0025_zpsf301c1c1.jpg
    IMG_0024_zps53561796.jpg

I like these guys! They were the most fun to paint out of this batch of models.

IMG_0012_zpsee76f0d6.jpg
    IMG_0022_zpsc83ee77e.jpg
    IMG_0026_zps13638896.jpg

11. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

So I've been very lazy when it comes to painting lately. Between the HE release (and subsequent purchase) and the arrival (finally) of my Reaper Bones Kickstarter purchase, not to mention the mini-mountain of skinks I have yet to paint, I've got a lot of work to do. I've decided that an air brush is the best solution to my plastic problems, so I've been delaying most of my painting until I can get together with one of my friends who has one. He's a teacher, so the end of the shcool year delayed things a bit. At any rate, hopefully I'll have something to show for my patience(?) in a week or two. If not, I may have to get back to work with the ole brush set. The biggest question to be answered is "what do I paint next?" I've got skinks, camo skinks, two stegadons (one plastic, one metal), two Slann palanquines, and another carnosaur to choose from. What would you recommend?

12. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Ooh, airbrush! I'd like to try that out sometime, but at the moment it's not very possible for me and I don't know anyone who uses it either. Very eager to see what you can do with it, especially since I can compare it to your earlier hand work. I always love to see painted Stegadons, so my vote goes for those guys. Good luck and hopefully we can see some results soon!

13. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

No dice on the airbrush yet (too many sick people between my family and my friend's family), but I did start working on a few new models. They aren't really relevant to my Lizardmen army outside of Storm of Magic, but I'm excited about them anyway. :D Meet my new friends, Kaladrax and Nethyrmaul (with a GW model for size reference):

IMG_0690_zps3d80929a.jpg

14. NexS1
    Carnasaur

NexS1 Well-Known Member

That Star Dragon look like baby dragon..
    Kinda reminds me of the ep of Family Guy where Peter wants to make Jaws sequels called "Bigger Jaws" and "Even Bigger Jaws"...

15. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Whoa, those things are huge! And pretty fragile looking... Good thing you put the GW dragon there as a comparison, I would have otherwise thought they are a lot smaller...

16. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

They aren't that fragile actually. They are made from a rubberized resin so they are very flexible, reposable even.

17. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

Those dragons are fantastic! What manufacturer makes them? I've always wanted a good dragon but the GW ones are underwhelming and expensive for their size.

18. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

They are made by Reaper. The line is called Bones.

19. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

If you paint any of your bones minis, post em! I'd be keen to see them.

Paint some camo skinks!

20. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

I've started on a Hydra. I'll get some pics posted tonight.