1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Elite Guard of Texustria (painting stuff)

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by rychek, Mar 9, 2013.

1. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Re: Elite Guard of Texustria (PLOG).

It looks like Chapter House has decided to send me a replacement Lizard Ogre. It should go nicely with the two more I ordered a couple days ago. :) My Krox unit is almost complete.

2. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

After reading all of the bastilodon praise, I picked one up. Once I put him on the shelf next to the rest of the boxes waiting to be assemebled, I realized how much work I have to do in this hobby. Sometimes I wish I enjoyed assembling the models more than I do. Monsters are fun to assemble, but rank and file multi-part plastic kits make me crazy. :)

3. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

I know how you feel. I have way too much models to build and paint, and I have basically done nothing for the past six months... And modelling and putting the miniatures together is my least favourite part of the hobby, I usually end up gluing more things onto my fingers and/or clothes than onto the actual model. Sigh. Still, a nicely build model is a great sight even before the paint.

4. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Case in point. I tried to build one unit of Sisters of Avelorn last night. I spent about forty minutes and managed to get two of ten built before I was ready to throw the whole thing out the window (glued my fingers together multiple times, couldn't get the heads on before the glue dried due to Rapid Cure overspray, etc.) However, I spent the last twenty minutes working on a Bastilodon and the dino is completely build and primered (no howda or crew built yet. I need to paint the dino before I put on the rest). I'll post a pic or two once the primer is dry and I can take some pics.

5. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

Woo-hoo, can't wait to see it!

6. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

I received two packages in the mail, both from Chapterhouse Studios. One box contained a replacement Lizard Ogre and the other containted two more Lizard Ogres that I had ordered. Unfortunately, the replacement model has the same defect as the original. :( The other two were not without issue either. One has the same mold line, but the shelf is on the other side of the line. The second model didn't have the mold line problem, but was partly glued together. The arms promptly fell off once I took it out of the package and the tail had already fallen off with glue remnant on both the tail and body socket. Despite these annoyances, I LOVE these models! I can't wait to get them painted up.

The mold issues are fixable with a little effort and sculpting skill. Though I am having thoughts of possible battle damage. Gor-rok shouldn't be the only Lizardman madel with "authentic battle damage!" :D

7. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

Good looking stuff so far. I am really digging those Reaper minis dragons that you got. Might get some for myself just for the fun of painting them. Please post pics when you get them painted. Would love to see them.

8. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Thanks! I'm not sure when I'll get to the dragons, but I should get all of them out for a photo shoot. I've only shot two of them and there are at least five more in the box still. :D

I made some progress on the bastilodon last night. I'll post pics once I get home from work today (provided I can maintain consciousness long enough to take a picture).

9. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Re: Elite Guard of Texustria (PLOG) Bastilodon WIP.

I spent some time on the Bastilodon and have pictures to prove it! As is my custom, I'm painting him in my blue/orange scheme. This is WiP with a simple base coat of baby blue and a Ultra Blue Deep wash over the entire model. Then I painted Tangerine on the scales, followed by Orange. I have at least one more layer of Orange to add and some lighter blue dry brushing on the skin/small scales. I'm happy with how it's coming along. I've spent maybe three hours on it total so far.

IMG_1380_zps606fcee4.jpg

IMG_1376_zps01642f84.jpg

I'm not a big fan of the Solar Engine specific scales and head plate, so I used the Ark of Sotek armor and head horn. I will be making this model swappable between the two though.

What do you think? Any suggestions for accent colors on the armor plates? I was thinking some sort of red design (I like how the orange/red worked on the Lizard Ogre)

Speaking of Lizard Ogres, I've got the three new models primed and read to go. They are next on the list of things to paint.

10. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

Looks good so far - i think a little shading at the ends of those horns in front would be nice - it's a very large area to leave just one color (my 2 cents). I agree on using the sotek head on the solar engine Basti. The other head is kinda lame.

11. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Yes, shading is definitely in order. Shading/highlighting and little deatails are what will make this model go from ok to something better than ok. The question is, what color(s) to shade with and where? I'm thinking red for the shading on the orange adn a lighter blue to shade the blue areas (though I almost feel like I should have some green in there somewhere). We'll see how it turns out.

12. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Another morning spent painting, more progress to show! I've been working with orange and blue (big surprise, right?) this morning, so I've been painting whatever models needed the paint. The Lizard Ogres were the first thing I started on, but the left over orange got me working on the hydra.

IMG_1387_zps2e467608.jpg
    IMG_1388_zpsbcea4eab.jpg

IMG_1389_zpsf04cf521.jpg
    IMG_1390_zpsa091caa6.jpg

Then I ran out of models, so I grabbed some red and did a bit of shading on the Bastilodon. I think the drybrushed red helped the Basti quite a bit. What do you think?

IMG_1392_zps0c769282.jpg
    IMG_1393_zps66433c8b.jpg

13. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

My two year old strikes again! I had to step away from my desk, so I put the Lizard Ogres away, but he decided to grab the Bastilodon and go to town with my paint pallet. Fortunately he was using the tangerine paint, so it didn't show up much. A quick rinse in the sink and the damage is very negligible. I just have to touch up a couple spots and it will be as good as it was before he intervened.

14. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

I'm about done with the Lizard Ogres (for now). Here is the whole unit (so far. I need one more axe wielder).

IMG_1396_zps6393ea79.jpg
    IMG_1398_zpsa234a55e.jpg
    IMG_1399_zps3fa4b0e2.jpg
    IMG_1404_zps9af9ad88.jpg

And the updated (and repaired) Bastilodon:

IMG_1407_zps7766ff9a.jpg
    IMG_1408_zps98a0c49f.jpg

15. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

I just "ordered" my Tablescapes Kickstarter from Secret Weapon Games. I'll be getting a 4'x8' table top made from their 1'x1' Rolling Plains tiles. The tiles have a creek/river built in, so it will be excellent for the Lizzies. Now for the really had part: waiting for delivery. :( I figure it will arrive sometime around next April (if I'm lucky).

16. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

17. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

Bastiladon is coming along nicely as are the lizard ogres. Keep up the good work man!

18. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Thanks! I've really enjoyed painting them, but finding time is getting more difficult all the time.

19. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

I know what you mean. Dang life sometimes! Lol.

20. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Barring any catastrophic or unforeseen disasters, I will be participating in my first one day tournament on Saturday 9/14. Three rounds @ 2.5 hours each and 2500 pts. I'll be taking almost the same list I used against the Dark Elves previously. I'll post any changes once I figure out what they will be.