1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Eternal Starhost + Chameleon Skinks

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by IggyStarhost, Dec 22, 2017.

1. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

IggyStarhost Well-Known Member

One last question and I’m good to go:
    Do you lose the effect of an battalion when onr unit of the battalion gets destroyed. Lets say I lose 5 guards or the Warden, will the rest still have the effect or not?

2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

It depends on the effect. If the descriptions mentions the unit then you cannot use it if the unit is destroyed (such as the Starpriest in a Shadowstrike pointing at the target or the Troglodon in a Thunderquake buffing the Stegadon next to him).
    In the Eternal Starhost one of the two abilities requires the Warden, the other one doesn't. You should keep him alive.

HeirofCarnage and Canas like this.
  3. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

As @Aginor says, read the descriptions carefully. Some battalions rely on linchpins units that can be killed, some just give everything a flat buff. In our case it's frequently a combination of the two.

4. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

Thanks alot! You guys are such great help!
    So I’ll need to protect the Warden. Should I keep him out of battle at all cost?

5. Aginor
    Slann

No, I think you should put him between your Guard units for his 5" buff and also for the Guards' +1 save when near heroes.
    He is quite sturdy with 7 wounds so he can take a hit or two, and his attacks aren't bad either. Just make sure he cannot be swarmed.

With a Priest and/or Starpriest near you can also get some rerolls on the saves or debuff enemy units so they roll bad hits.

6. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

meh, his attacks aren't that much when compared to the guards. It's fine to keep him in the back and be certain he doesn't get harmed. But it depends a bit on how much he opponent picks up on it and tries to horribly murder him, his safe is considerably worse than the guard (kinda silly now that I think about it)

7. Aginor
    Slann

Well he doesn't have a shield so his save is 1 worse. Which is kinda logical. Until you look at other armies' heroes which have a 3+ save while carrying a huge banner and no shield...

I buff him with mystic shield.

8. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Meh, it's mostly that he's te leader of the guard, he should be fairly good at defending himself, or just be so sturdy he doesn't care. In the fluff the wardens sustain absolutly insane amounts of damage and keep on fighting. It's weird to have him be squishier than those he's leading. And just the base save difference is fine, but the guards gain bonusses that he doesn'thave acces to. Why doesn't a warden get a bonus for guarding another hero like they do for example?

Also, he does use some kind of pole or stave weapon, those tend to be fairly good at defense as well, better than a banner at least :p

HeirofCarnage and Aginor like this.
  9. Aginor
    Slann

Yeah it is kinda weird. But so are guards. They are supposed to be one of the sturdiest infantry units in the game but they have just one wound while naked Orruks have three...

Canas likes this.
  10. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

One of the things why I think that seraphon were basicly made for a diferent game... There's a lot of weird inconsistencies like that in our army that started popping up with the release of the GHB and other factions.

11. Aginor
    Slann

Yeah. If they weren't mentioned that often in the books (GHB and Battletomes of other armies) I'd almost say it looks like GW are letting them die.

12. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

at least being mentioned is something I suppose.. Plus they are rather unique and have a nice cool factor being dinosaurs and all. I'd assume they sell relativly well cuz of it.

Aginor likes this.
  13. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

Too bad about the wardens save. I’ll just try to re-roll save rolls with Celestial Rites.

If i’ll make the Starpriest the General with Master of Star Rituals, does it mean he gets the CR ability like it is stated on the skink priest warscroll i.e. He still needs to roll 4+ and it doenst work on a bubble?

We are starting around 800 points with my group (SCE and Ironjawz) and I’ll only be able to field one, which I’m going to give MoSR. But having it on the Priest also sounds nice to increase the chance to 75%.

14. Aginor
    Slann

MoSR on the Starpriest is not a bad idea.
    But yeah I read it as working just for one unit. Only the normal Priest with Priestly trappings can do the bubble thing.

15. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

I wont be using the battalion, since it is just about learning how to play. I’ll be fielding:

1 warden
    10 Guards (1 unit)
    1 Priest/Starpriest
    1 Basti
    10 Skinks

Since it only is one unit a want to buff I feel like the Starpriest is the one I’ll be taking. Since I then have some magic too debuff or deal some moretal wounds

16. Aginor
    Slann

That's a very sturdy beginner list. I am almost sure an equally sized army of Ironjawz for example will not be able to beat it most of the time except when rolling very well.

17. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

Hence not taking the battalion. I try to keep it balanced a bit. Although the SCE will have the relictor, retributors and celestant on dracoth.
    Guess I’ll be practising to avoid the mortal wounds.

18. Aginor
    Slann

You're dead if he rolls well on those mortal wound abilities, nothing you can do.

19. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

Yeay mortal wound spam

Aginor likes this.
  20. Aginor
    Slann

Exactly. It kills the balance of the game since it divides armies into two groups: those who can spam mortal wounds and those who cannot do that.
    It makes all the cool save mechanics some units have completely useless.

HeirofCarnage likes this.