1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. exceeding / not meeting the point limits

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by TheGreatFatSlann, Sep 11, 2014.

1. TheGreatFatSlann
    Skink

TheGreatFatSlann Member

hey all, i was just wondering, how strict are the rules on official WHFB tournaments in terms of points limit?
    say i was applying for a 2500 GW tournament, but my list actually had 2504 points. would that be a problem? and what if it literally had 2501?
    another topic that's been troubling me is what if my core (in a 2500 game) is 624 points? would it be considered illegal, or is there some sort of leniency that allows players to exceed or not meet the point limit by like 2, 3, 4 points?

2. NexS1
    Carnasaur

NexS1 Well-Known Member

most tournaments will be strict. it would be unfair for one person to have all the things he wants and be 1 point over, and another person have to drop something he wants in place of something less desirable to make the min/max's

3. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

Unlike the rules, there is no grey area for the points limits. Any tournament I have ever attended requires 100% adherence to the limits or the list is illegal and cannot be used. If an illegal list list is discovered during play, all games are automatically forfeited. Army builder is nice to avoid this as it gives an automatic warning but I always double check my by hand just to be certain.

4. teufelhund
    Chameleon Skink

teufelhund New Member

+1 to the above... In a casual game a point doesn't matter so much, but 4 points is a little wonky as there are usually at least 2-3 5 point items somewhere on a list.

5. TheGreatFatSlann
    Skink

TheGreatFatSlann Member

well that kinda sucks, but i get that they have to be fair to everyone.
    thanks for the info guys

6. Gary_M
    Razordon

Gary_M Well-Known Member

Related (?) question:

Do the % apply to the theoretical max points total of the army, or the actual total of the army?

So for Lords & Heroes at 2400, their allowance is 600 pts max.

However if the army totals 2399, then the allowance is 599 max.

I don't think I've ever bust a % by a single point, but the theory is correct.

I work to the actual army points not the theoretical max, but would be nice to know if I've been missing a trick

7. teufelhund
    Chameleon Skink

teufelhund New Member

I just made up a BS list on my army builder at 1200 points and put a basic slann in it. After I added 300 pts of core it said there was nothing wrong with my list and I only used half of the alotted points. Not sure if that means anything though. Just thought I'd experiment.

8. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

The usual tournament approach is to use the stated size as the limit so a 2400 point tourney would require a minimum of 600 points in core troops - this makes the math easy. However, a case can be made for applying the % based on total points used vice theoretical as follows:

1) As per page 132, first sentence of 3rd para under Points Value, the "points value" of an army is arrived at by adding up all the points in the list.

2) The core restriction on page 134 states that a minimum of 25% of the points must be spent on core units. That being the case, if the total army points value was 2392, then minimum core would be 598. Similarly, the maximum rare, lord or hero points would be 598 points, not 600.

In any event, I would check with the TO or your opponent beforehand to see what their approach is. Using a % of actual total points is handicapping yourself IMHO.