1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Fantasy game without any CC

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by Stuntyogre, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Stuntyogre
    Skink

Stuntyogre Member

First written report I've done in a while but this game was a lot of fun so I've decided to put it in the official internet record. I showed up at my local GW to play 1000 points, no clue who I'd face just that I wanted to have fun.

Skink Priest w Opal Amulet Channeling Staff, (deployed in the cohort)

3 x 10 Skirmishers
    20 Skinks w Standard and 2 Kroxigors

Bastiladon w Solar Engine
    19 Temple Guard w Standard (Gleaming Pennant) Mus

I ended up facing Dwarfs for Dawn Attack, he had if I remember correct

Runesmith, Rune of Spellbreaking (in Shieldbeards)
    Grimm Burlocksson (in Irondrakes)

20 Shieldbeards w Standard Mus

Cannon w Forging
    Gyrocoptor

15 Irondrakes w Standard Mus

Deployment:
    I rolled to deploy first, got a 3+ on all my units and so was basically unaffected by the scenario. The terrain had given us a fire pillar in the centre of the board we ruled as impassable and my deployment zone had a watchtower right on the intersection between my 12" line and the bisecting line between my right hand zone and my centre. One skirmisher unit went in there, another behind the building, the cohort 6" away from the building or so. The Temple Guard went about 7" to the left of the Cohort and then the third skirmisher unit went a few inches to their left in a mundane forest. The Bastiladon went opposite the fire pillar which put him between the two combat blocks and 2" back from the line. I rolled Thunderbolt and Comet, kept Comet and switched the other for Iceshard

He dropped his two blocks opposite mine which because of terrain meant the Shieldbeards were facing the TG and a skirmisher unit while the Drakes were opposite the Cohort. His Cannon and Gyro had to go in his left zone opposite the two skirmisher blocks roughly. He failed to steal first turn

Lizards T1
    I pushed up both blocks moderately, making sure the Solardon buffed both and was angled to face the Longbeards, I figured he would be needed more in that fight. The Skirmishers on the left swung wide out of dwarfen LOS, the ones on the right moved out of the building and around it to be 6" ahead of it.
    Magic Phase I pushed a comet through after he stopped iceshard on his Drakes. I put the comet equidistant between his Drakes and Cannon, about 6". I forgot to put a die into the laser beam, beginner mistake I suppose.
    Shooting, no results.

Dwarfs T1
    General movement forwards, he forgot to charge with the Shieldbeards (needed a 10+ anyways) The Gyro moved over the comet and landed 9" away from it in template range of the forward Skirmisher unit.
    The comet came down, killed the Gyro and 4 Drakes, Cannon was unscathed.
    Cannon killed the Bastiladon in one shot. Grimm helped the Drakes put a big hurting into the Cohort, 7 deaths.

Lizards T2
    Temple Guard back up 2" as I didn't feel confident of their odds against equal numbers of shieldbeards with character support. The Skirmishers supporting the TG get nice and close to the flank of the Shieldbeards, the Cohort moves to within 12" of the Drakes, the other Skirmishers move into the void left by the Gyro positioned to shoot the Cannon and Drakes.
    Magic is a bust, he spellbreaks iceshard and dices away a comet.
    Shooting picks off 2 Shieldbeards, 2 wounds on the Cannon and 2 more Drakes.

Dwarfs T2
    Longbeards fail a charge and move up 5", Drakes move to within 9" of the Cohort
    Cannon kills 2 Skinks and a Krox, Grimm fails to help the Drakes but they still kill 5 Skinks while he opens up with his shotgun and kills the other Krox and a Skink singlehandedly!

Lizards T3
    Temple Guard backpeddal again, Cohort moves away 3", to just within 6" of the front of the Watchtower. Skirmishers position themselves to shoot the Shieldbeards, Cannon and Drakes again.
    Magic sees me get both Iceshard off on the Drakes and a comet off equidistant between the Drakes and Beards.
    Shooting kills the cannon and picks off 1-2 models from both the Shieldbeards and Drakes.

Dwarfs T3
    Shieldbeards fail a charge again, moving up 4", still pretty close to the comet. Drakes move to finish off the Cohort.
    Comet waits around in the sky, Grimm and the Drakes get the Cohort down to Banner RnF and the Priest.

Lizards T4
    Priest absconds from his bunker to the safety of the tower. TG decline to charge as that would put them 8" away from a comet. The 2 lone skinks stay put to shoot, the Skirmishers begin to surround Grimm's unit.
    Magic sees a second comet stopped and Iceshard IFd onto the Drakes, Opal Amulet leaves me unscathed.

Dwarfs T4
    Grimm detaches from his unit to blast the Cohort away himself while his depleted unit (7-8 models strong now) reforms to face the skirmishers around them.
    Comet comes down and crushes 10 Shieldbeards and they panic away. TG free to advance now.

The last turn we got in before close was simply more shooting, I got a third comet through and destroyed the Longbeards with it, Grimm blasted the Cohort away and survived 20 javelins doing so. Quite interesting I found, a whole game of shooting where I came out on top of a dwarf list. My opponent and I agreed the first 2 comets did it for me however after he lost the distraction Gyro I had the ranged advantage. Best moment of the game goes to Grimm Burlocksson, the mental image of him blowing a Kroxigor apart with his shotgun in one go is just so epic. Fantasy needs more shotguns
    :beaver: