1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contest February - April 2016 Visual Art Contest - WIP Thread

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by spawning of Bob, Feb 3, 2016.

1. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

It is with great anticipation that I announce this experimental contest.

The Short Story Comps last year (all entries indexed in the Lustriapedia) showed what a little bit of lust for glory could do to release the staggering writing talent that lurks among the cold blooded faithful.

There was a discussion about how to do the same with visual artists and now it has fallen to me, the least reliable member of the Legions of Lustria to organise the comp (@Scalenex has a sniffle).

I must acknowledge the giants upon whose shoulders I callously trample. Ratty Gnawtail of the unsuppressible Under-Empire Forum was host to some delicious story competitions. Scalenex seized the format for the Greater Glory of the Old Ones in 2015. Y'ttar Scaletail seems bent on taking it back, using only an apostrophe as his flimsy disguise.

That is ancient history. The Glorious Future is now upon us (barring alterations to the posted schedule, or the end of the world. Again.)

Our first Lustria-Online Visual Art Contest is now open.

The theme is "Continuity and Change" Any thematic resemblance to another competition or competitions is purely intentional and due to intellectual laziness on behalf of the competition host.

The Rules...

... are as follows, but please be reminded that they are subject to alteration in future comps. The purpose of the comp is to encourage participation at all levels of ability, not to impede potential artists.

-The contest is not anonymous.

-The work should be able to be able to be contained on an A4 page with reasonable resolution. This will allow for short graphic stories (as pioneered by @Essmir in the July-August 2015 Short Story Comp) but not multi page stories. The emphasis is the art rather than an amazing plot.

-The artist may include speech and thought bubbles, but the words should constitute less than one quarter of the page.

-The artist may include a title and/or a caption of up two lines long after the image.

-For the first comp, the image may not be animated or have embedded sounds or speech. This would be awesome and I hope we can do an animation comp in the future, but keep it steady (and quiet) this time.

-The image must involve Lizardmen (or Seraphon or Salamanders or... have we evolved again?...) to some extent. A blowdart sticking out of a skaven would be fine.

-The image must stick roughly within the theme.

-The image must be new. No recycling and re-purposing old images. I'm looking at you Bob...

-Photoshop art IS OK but the final image should be have at least half of the image as original work. i.e. The back ground could be from Leonardo Da Google and be less than 50% of the image. OR the background could be an originally taken photograph of a Mayan pyramid taken by the entrant and be larger than 50%. This rule links to the next one.

-Wherever the image components come from, please acknowledge the attribution of other people's work. Your entry should include the web addresses of any images that you have enhanced by pasting lizardmen all over them. This is polite and possibly, you know, legal.

-Having said that, collaborative entries by multiple entrants are fine. Anyone who has seen what @details and @n810 can do together will agree that this is a good thing.

-Include a descripton of the method / medium with your entry (e.g. pencil on paper watercolour on skaven-hide, computer and mouse with MS paint, tablet and finger)

-Only one entry allowed per person / collaboration.

-You must send your story via private message to Spawning of Bob by the End Times sometime on April 14, 2016.

-Voting will be open for one month after the entries close. Discussion with / about the artists is OK during the voting month.

-I may not know much about art, but I know what I like. I hope that other voters will consider the adherence to the theme. The number of votes for each voter will be one vote for each three entries.

-There will be a "Best of 2016" comp which will be about flat-out-awesomeness and not theme linkage.

The NOT-Rules...

-Please please please retain WIP stages of your project. We can all learn from / sympathise with the challenges you surmount on your journey. The rising tide floats all boats, and your experience will encourage others to contribute in future.

-Please don't pretend you are dead if I contact you to write a tutorial about your chosen medium.

-I used to think "Art. You have it and I don't or you don't." Now I think, "Technology. Why does it hold me back?".

Ask for help with electronica if it isn't your thing. I will post advice about free tablet drawing software, image hosting and posting, and free software which does post-scanner enhancement of pencil and paper art in the next weeks. @n810 knows his way around Photoshop. @Hyperborean is a gun with Paint Tool SAI. MS Paint probably won't kill you for simple image editing.

The point of this competition is to encourage awesome art - use technological aids without guilt. Just be prepared to tell the rest of us your secrets afterwards.

-No inspiration? Slap yourself, then read the Jan Feb Story Comp entries which follow the same theme. Feel free to do an illustration for someone's story (or your own).

-Be bold and experimental. If you want to dip your toe in the artistic waters, the L-O piranhas are unusually gentle.

-If you think your contribution is too weak for the Old One's attention, screw that. I will still enjoy it.

You have until the end of April.
    [​IMG]

The Old Ones are waiting.

edit - Comp Close Date 14/4/16

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I agree whole heartedly on this point. Even if you aren't happy with the final product i will still like it.
    More likes for the like god!

Warden, spawning of Bob and Slanputin like this.
  3. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

The pantheon becomes ever more crowded ;)

Bowser likes this.
  4. little-myth
    Carnasaur

little-myth Well-Known Member

Letting my creative side kick in, trying to process ideas at the moment.

spawning of Bob likes this.
  5. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

bob.png
    Medium: pencil and scrap paper I was doing math on. Sent to MS paint. Poorly traced and coloured.
    Title: The Ultimate Battle

See, nothing to it people. This was 15 minutes worth of effort and I humbly submit that this is worthy of the Louvre!

6. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

So @details you got any more sketches lying around... :shifty: :artist:

spawning of Bob and Bowser like this.
  7. Hyperborean
    Ripperdactil

Hyperborean Well-Known Member

I have been summoned! TIme for war! Or just a friendly art comp, either or works fine

8. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

Does the Louvre have some bias against tails?

Bowser likes this.
  9. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

bob-1.png You know how prudish the French are.
    Here is the uncensored version.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  10. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

This was more than Bowser's 15 minutes. Probably several 15 minute sessions. Some of them spent on hold being lied to by robots (e.g: "...please remain on the line, you are a valued customer, someone will be with you shortly...")
    [​IMG]
    Anyway this happened because I was searching the interwebs for some other thing and I came across an evilBay picture of some old LM metal plaques. And I decided to record the designs manually, as best I could. Then some other variations happened, but then I got put on hold, and then some more happened. Some of those later ones might be somewhat original.

11. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

These look great! so many awesome designs!

12. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

By all means clutter this thread with your awesomeness, boys.

But you must choose a single entry to PM to me before the deadline.

13. Xholankha the lost one
    Chameleon Skink

Xholankha the lost one Well-Known Member

Tzunki....... is .......... ready
    and xholanka is too
    what do u want done bob?

Bowser and spawning of Bob like this.
  14. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

Obviously keep one back for your art comp entry and post the other in your thread. Unless you have got something else cooking for the comp.... ???

Bowser likes this.
  15. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Lots of ideas for the comp. But since it isn't anonymous I can post all the practice in technique and styles in this thread!

16. Hyperborean
    Ripperdactil

Hyperborean Well-Known Member

Def gonna read th stories for inspiration. I mean I have my own ideas but illustrating stories is always fun

Bowser likes this.
  17. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

Yes, Bowser. Unforseen consequence of open uncompetitive competition.

Maybe hide WIP stuff under spoiler tabs to make it easier for those who want to use the thread for enquires, discussion and snide comments. That will also protect others who want to keep their ideas "pure"

Bowser likes this.
  18. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Oh that makes far more sense! Noted. Spoilers or a different thread to come!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  19. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I drew some comics a long time ago. But they transferred very poorly to my computer via scanning. Once I stop hacking and spewing I think I may try redrawing and/or trace them with a much thicker pen on fresh paper and see if I have better luck.

20. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

I think I did a tracing section on the safety with Pencils thread.

If you just can't get the technical stuff to work, take a photo on your phone or tablet then send it to me or another collaborator.

One entry per collaboration - send one to me, one to @pendrake, one to @n810, one to @Hyperborean .Then put in all entries. I'm sure the different approaches of your inkers would make for some interesting comparison, and you will know who to pester next time.

Bowser and n810 like this.