1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contest February - April 2016 Visual Art Contest

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by spawning of Bob, Apr 15, 2016.

?

Which Artist is most pleasing to Old One Aartzifartzi?

Poll closed May 1, 2016.
  1. Warden

20 vote(s)
    58.8%
  2. Hyperborean

17 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Bowser

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. details / n810

13 vote(s)
    38.2%
  5. thedarkfourth

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  6. spawning of Bob

13 vote(s)
    38.2%
  7. dwarfepic

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  8. The Sauric Ace

8 vote(s)
    23.5%
  9. neveroddoreven

8 vote(s)
    23.5%
  10. Phoedinn

8 vote(s)
    23.5%
  11. ASSASSIN_NR_1

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  12. Scalenex

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  13. little-myth

11 vote(s)
    32.4%
  14. Infinity Turtle

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  15. Pendrake

19 vote(s)
    55.9%
  16. Essmir

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

There are dice designs on this site with custom glyphs unique to LO.

Not sure whose permission you'd need to use renditions of those.

I figured the front face of the black basalt slab is where names go.

Phoedinn and Bowser like this.
  2. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Phoedinn Well-Known Member

That makes more sense XD I think I've seen the thread of which you speak I'll ask around :)

Bowser likes this.
  3. Rednax
    Cold One

Rednax Active Member

finally looked at it, SO HARD TO CHOOSE D:
    they're all so beautiful

thumbs up from me!

spawning of Bob and Bowser like this.
  4. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

Pendrake owns the rights for the lovely #5 Stegadon but he forfeited them in a game of chance :p

The rest are by the forum for the forum whether the forum wants them or not.

These were the 2013 variants
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    And who could forget the 8th Ed. special edition salamander handler?
    [​IMG]

And the 2015 versions
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Say... that last one looks pretty cool.

The Spawning of Bob and Friends 8 sided dice which showed all of the 2013 contributors was never produced :(
    [​IMG]

I hope that the following isn't true.
    [​IMG]

Warden, Blastoize, n810 and 1 other person like this.
  5. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

Another conundrum. That leaves us with several conundra (....?)

I think we use this thread to beg for votes until the 30th. Then we use this same thread for self congratulation AND begging for WIP and technique advice from then onwards. You could post away in the old thread, but ultimately that one won't be indexed anywhere and will end up deader than Lord Kroak's taste in music.

Irregardless of that (I did that deliberately), you really should post your own Fluff and Art thread, so I can link to your stuff without needing to trawl through the competition threads. Your name belongs here.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    Slanputin and Bowser like this.
  6. Xlanax_lot
    Troglodon

Xlanax_lot Well-Known Member

Ohh this contest looks like fun! I dont know how I missed it. All the drawings are awesome.. And since I couldn't post mine before I thoght I might just leve it here for you guys to see it and give me some feedback on it.

I painted it 3 years back using black pen image.jpeg

Jorgik, Warden, Slanputin and 7 others like this.
  7. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

This is incredible! Too bad you weren't able to enter but glad you posted this! Looks amazing with just a black pen!

Xlanax_lot likes this.
  8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

That is stunning. It's such a shame you didn't get the chance to enter it. I'm sure it would have performed very well in the polls. For what it's worth, you would have had one of my votes.

Warden, Xlanax_lot and Bowser like this.
  9. discomute
    Terradon

discomute Well-Known Member

My personal favourite was the details / n810 on.

If I ever get back into Lizardmen on blood bowl, I would totally make neveroddoreven's one my team logo!

Warden, n810, spawning of Bob and 2 others like this.
  10. pendrake
    Skink Priest

Warden, spawning of Bob and Bowser like this.
  11. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

Wow. Maths says that 27 forumnites have voted, and around 800 views in 6 days. That is like, umm, five votes each... give or take.

Maths is stupid.

10 more days for voting, but that doesn't mean the fun of the comp is over for we who vote early and vote often.

Side Contest # 1
    A number of the entries are untitled. Are there any suggestions to help the unwise artists along? Do any of the titled ones deserve a rename?

Side Contest # 2
    Very few have captions. Even fewer have speech and thought bubbles. What do you think the artists or the characters depicted should have said?

Warden and Bowser like this.
  12. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

The Sauric Ace Well-Known Member

Mine is obviously supposed to be called: Bobémon: Gotcha Visual Artistically depict them All! :D

13. pendrake
    Skink Priest

I managed a title but neglected captioning. A pull quote from the story version of The Monument seems like the obvious choice:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    Slanputin, spawning of Bob and Bowser like this.
  14. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

That is cheating. You can't name and caption your own art.

Warden and Slanputin like this.
  15. pendrake
    Skink Priest

Luckily! I have 'thought' of something for @neveroddoreven 's entry—

Title: FangGrove Palace
    Caption: "...he had picked the wrong FangGrove tree. This one's roots were the palace of a greater lake serpent..."

Warden, Slanputin and spawning of Bob like this.
  16. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

Do I sense a bit of cross-promotion occurring?

Slanputin likes this.
  17. pendrake
    Skink Priest

Maybe cross-pollination ?

18. neveroddoreven
    Temple Guard

neveroddoreven Well-Known Member

Mine had a title in it's filename. It's 'Crocothingy' for want of a better one.

19. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

I've done my duty!

with some regrets...

20. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

So glad the contest has come to fruition! Amazing works of art everyone! I was a tad astonished to see my entry at the start of the list, but I hope everyone liked it as much as I enjoyed painting it!

My thoughts on all the artwork:

@Hyperborean: Amazing and epic picture, all the skinks poses look quite realistic. What is happening in this picture?? Is the sky opening up? What is the slann doing, and what is his army preparing to do according to his orders? I must hear the fluff.

@Bowser- Quite thought provoking and convoluted of you, I like your take on the change from the Old World to the unknown newer one. Question though: so on my compute screen for some reason I am picking up small traces of other colors that look like symbols inside each star. Does this allude to the AOS constellations, or is it a combination of my poor eyesight/failing computer that is deciving me right now?

@details and @n810- Probably my favorite. Reminds me of the Hero Twins Hunahpu and Xbalanque from ancient Mayan myths. Curious to learn about their exploits.

@thedarkfourth- Made me laugh, I love the representation of the gaming table at the bottom. Also like the “skyship” temple and the surrounding jungles in the first column.

@spawning of Bob- beautiful! Yours it’s a quite a bit more technologically modern than my attempt. I like how the slann and the cube? He is messing with are in front of the starscape. That was something I tried to do with mine but I couldn’t figure out a way to get the stars to seem like they were appearing behind the slann’s green skin. Technology… I will figure it out someday. I have never used any online computer art programs other than Microsoft paint.

@dwarfepic- Also made me laugh. Simple, to the point, and epic. Enough said. The stuff avatars are made out of.

@The Sauric Ace - I want to play that pokemon version! The Wild BOB seems to be a much higher level than the poor Sauric Ace L Pure Awesomesauce indeed, how did you make it? Also just noticed the pencil in Bob’s hand, well done! Gotta Visual Artistically depict them All!

@neveroddoreven- That crocodile had WAY more detail built into it than I originally realized. I really like the forest green shading mixed in with the solid black shadows, really adds a lot to him. Also very simple but beautiful background. Lovely work of art. Also I like the title and caption @pendrake came up with.

@Phoedinn- how did you make all the polygons? That must have taken forever to put together. First time I saw the picture I didn’t realize it had so many Lizardmen-snake statues mixed into the design, it’s a lot more complicated than I first realized.

@ASSASSIN_NR_1- Makes me think of Jurassic Park. What creature is about to be unleashed? And will it try to kill us…

@Scalenex- I saw this one in the initial contest thread, very clever use of apostrophes. I remember my little cousins watching this show. It figures that Swiper would be a dirty skaven.

@little-myth- Beautiful piece of work, I agree with @thedarfourth’s assessment that your work has a great sense of movement to the terradon. It looks like it is taking off, either in front of a storm or maybe a waterfall I can’t decide which. How did you actually make this picture? I have never heard of anyone using “mascara” to make a picture, is it a special kind of paint or actual cosmetics?

@Infinity Turtle- Clever and cute, like all your works. I like how the story of the tiny Lustrian caterpillar ends J

@pendrake- Saw your WIP thread, amazing piece of artwork. Now I just need to go and read the fluff. Thanks for offering such a crisp view of some Lustrian Terrain. Someone needs to make this thing for the tabletop now!

@Essmir - Glad you entry made it, I like the multi-armed artisan in the background mural of the picture. I also like the 3D effect you achieves on the skink!

@Xlanax_lot- As much as your entry did not quite make it, well done! That is a beautiful pen line drawing. Since I painted my picture I have gained a great appreciation for the creator who made the metal slann model, and your picture makes me appreciate the sculptor eve more because of the faithfulness and level of detail you were able to bring to life on the paper! Thank you for posting.

Blastoize and Bowser like this.