1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contest February - April 2016 Visual Art Contest

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by spawning of Bob, Apr 15, 2016.

?

Which Artist is most pleasing to Old One Aartzifartzi?

Poll closed May 1, 2016.
  1. Warden

20 vote(s)
    58.8%
  2. Hyperborean

17 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Bowser

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. details / n810

13 vote(s)
    38.2%
  5. thedarkfourth

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  6. spawning of Bob

13 vote(s)
    38.2%
  7. dwarfepic

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  8. The Sauric Ace

8 vote(s)
    23.5%
  9. neveroddoreven

8 vote(s)
    23.5%
  10. Phoedinn

8 vote(s)
    23.5%
  11. ASSASSIN_NR_1

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  12. Scalenex

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  13. little-myth

11 vote(s)
    32.4%
  14. Infinity Turtle

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  15. Pendrake

19 vote(s)
    55.9%
  16. Essmir

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Amazing drawing!

Bowser likes this.
  2. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

That is probably not a coincidence, as I took inspiration from the beginning og Jurassic World.

@The Sauric Ace

If you make a fakemon game with Bob and you in it, I will play it.

Bowser and Warden like this.
  3. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

No need to upgrade the glasses or monitor just yet, you are correct. There is a slann head hidden in the head star, a skink priest silhouette, a crescent moon, a terradon, and a Kroxigor hidden in there as well. They require a bit of imagination to see them my way, (except the moon, that one is pretty spot on) but that was somewhat on purpose, though I could have done a better job showcasing blurry memories in the constellation.

Warden likes this.
  4. Hyperborean
    Ripperdactil

Hyperborean Well-Known Member

@Warden you know I wasn't thinking of writing anything to go along with the picture but now that you mention it...I think I should! story comp entry comes first however!

Scalenex, Warden and Bowser like this.
  5. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

We have a tie as of now! And another not too far behind! Very exciting! Can't wait to see how this all turns out! Brilliant effort from everyone! One week left to vote!

Warden, Phoedinn and Blastoize like this.
  6. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

The Sauric Ace Well-Known Member

Obviously we should make a fakemon game, just with the theme of Lustria-Online and or lizardmen orintated art styles ;) I'm in! However the only programming o know is an introduction course to python from my bachelor and R scripting... I don't think I would get far on that department :p

I think we're all winners, some are just real winners as well :D

7. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

I like the temple design! I had to look at it again. I think this temple as a terrain piece would look amazing!

Just added my WIP pictures in a gallery thread in case anyone was interested in my production process!

Agreed, work on the short story comp first. BUT I would am still curious to know what is going on in your work.

That would be awesome.

Bowser likes this.
  8. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

I voted! Was really hard! I would like some people here to put less effort and skill into the things you are making for contests! That would make voting much easier for me! ;)
    Great work everyone!

pendrake, spawning of Bob and Bowser like this.
  9. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Sorry @details ,
    Doesn't look like we are going to get any better than 4th place,
    I have failed you. :(

10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

No shame in achieving 4th place among such amazing entries; it's quite the achievement!

Bowser likes this.
  11. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

No shame in any of the places - even the simplest images have a great depth and humour about them.

3 votes separate the top three entries. 48 hours left to vote. Much excitement.

Bowser likes this.
  12. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Alright with two days left to vote I figured I would give a breakdown on my thoughts on these gorgeous artworks!
    1. Folly of the Warmbloods by @Warden
    I really like the style here, the shading is gorgeous and blended with the star back ground was brilliant. The image of a Slann who seemingly manipulates the actions of even the lesser races is a powerful one that lends to all sorts of plot hooks for a fluff piece.

2. Changing Ascension by @Hyperborean
    The bright colours contrasting with the impending storm called on by the slann, tells a tale all in it's own, not even mentioning the action of the warriors moving into position. The warrior in the front of the action seems to be howling in anticipation of the oncoming battle. This is gorgeous and sets up a great battle.

4. Sacred Spawnings by @details and @n810
    The vibrant colours blow me away. The amount of details (no pun intended) in these two is mind blowing. The gold armoured scales and tail, the ceremonial helmet and the polearm for the blue one are inspired. They compliment the blue fantastically. The green one with his cheetah skin cloak, feathers, and sickles just dripping in blood shows off how savage and brutal he is. Contrasted with the minimalist background really makes the two figures stand out. If I had a normal army I would be doing what I could to try to copy these two on the minis.

5. Untitled by @thedarkfourth
    I think if I were to title it I ould call it SMBC Theater. SMBC of course stands for:
    Skyship Miniature Batlles (of the) Creators

That being said the homage to one of the best webcomics ever is brilliant. Spot on with the style and humour, sadly no hidden comic button! The idea to represent the old ones like the sun disks from the inspiration material was genius. This made me laugh and I couldn't help but be jealous of this idea!

6. Lord Xhaltan by @spawning of Bob
    The art style of Bob is something I think we all look forward to around here. So when he turned it up to 11 to give us new dimensions, and a professional looking style I think we were all quite blown away. @Crowsfoot got the benefit of Bob's experimentation, which was a genius sneak preview. When I first saw it I was like, is that slann DJing? Got the turntable out for some mixing? The star field background blew me away and the two moons are breathtaking.

7. Temple Guard by @dwarfepic
    The theme was continuity and change. In the old continuity he had two arms and a shield. The old continuity was painfully ripped away and now he only had one arm and no shield.
    Deep man. Deep.

8. Untitled by @The Sauric Ace
    If I were to title this one it would be Pokemon: Plaque Gold/Sacrifice Red edition

This is hilarious! The art style made me want to break out the old gameboy and start a bew game! Beautifully crafted to look like the source material, I was like immediately we need an L-O pokemon hack! Professor @The Red Devil "Are you a boy or a girl?" Popped into mind for the opening sequence. This is just too good. You could write a humorous fluff story on this crossover and we would eat it up!

9. Untitled by @neveroddoreven

If I were to title this one it would be "Why don't you already kwn a skate company?"

This graphic would look amazing on a snow or skate board, and the hoodies, shoes helmets, and other merch associated with it! The brightly coloured background compared to the muted colours and black ink of the foreground works brilliantly! The lizard looks incredible with the brown scales and the green highlights. The ink design behind and stretching out in front is gorgeous. Is it a plant concealing the hunter's location? Or is it the winds of magic forming up around this magnificent beast?

10. Untitled by @Phoedinn

While I do like the golden snark, I would title it the Starship Engineprize. As it looks like it has an engine of the gods at the back.
    So much detail here! The standards/statues making up the bulk of it with the amazing head of a priest leading the ship. The architecture here is breathtaking. The light and shadows are incredible here, really gives it that physical 3d look and I want to build one! Absolutely stunning piece.

11. Untitled by @ASSASSIN_NR_1

This one if I were to title it would be called Target Acquired.

This one tells any number of stories. Is this a hunter hiding himself amongst the eggs of a large predator, awaitin his chance to big game hunt? Is it a new type of infiltration Lizardman, thought upby the chaos gods, hatching outready to unleash on the unsuspecting lizardmen tribes? So many plot hooks in this piece. The minimalist background works so well here, it's like camera focus. Background is slightly out of focus so you can see the deadly red wye in front of you. The design on the eye is so awesome and the subtle scaling around it just works so well together.

12. Dor'a' Explor'er by @Scalenex
    This one is prett funny, the concept that For'a goes around teaching High Saurian to people, while the dirty Skaven Swioer tries to swipe golden tablets. I'm shouting at my TV already! "HE'S BEHIND THE TREE!" This is also a pretty good copy of Bob's older style of drawing, which means if you keep at it, someday you can make an awesome slann movie poster like Lord Xhaltan!

12. Untitled by @little-myth

My title for this one would be Top Speed Terradon Edition

This is so cool. It really is a great action piece. The terradon looks like it's moving at great speed, the skink on an urgent mission attempts to keep the terradon calm while still goading it to go faster. Keeping low to the water, skimming it as a back up survival plan, as their unknown assailant chases them through the night sky. Absolutely beautiful work here. Just blows me away how you can create such a dynamic action piece with little colour.

13. Lustrian Metamorphosis by @Infinity Turtle
    This is gorgeous. Simply gorgeous. Very relaxed tone as the skink lounges on a branch, waiting for lunch to emerge from the cocoon. It's the most adorable version of the nature channel I have ever seen! The colours are vibrant and warm. The scene is just relaxing (unless you're a buttefly in which case it's horrifying, and adorable. Adorifying?) Reminds me of a conversation somewhere around here where talking about trade and currency amongst Lizardmen. Someone suggested saurus betting a year on the good rock. I could see skinks betting more time at the butterfly tree!

14. The Monument by @pendrake

This is incredible! The scale is epic. The architecture here is amazing and I think we all have a new terrain project because of this. Coinciding with the short story of the same name, this visual representation is far superior to what I had in mind while reading! This is fantastic with small details like cracks, weeds, windows and doors. It's not just a static piece. It's an entire adventure setting. The stone faces on the structure are an intimidating warning to intruders. Like the cave of wonder or the temple of doom, there is so much to enjoy about this piece.

15. Where the Fan is My Entry by @Essmir
    Well as far as continuity goes this entry was missed when the voting opened up, just like the ending was left off his story in the short story comp. So just not a lucky theme for Essmir!

Kidding aside though this scene is breathtaking. The high attwntion to detail to the skink in front and the engraving on the wall really gives you two amazing focal points. The skinknin the foreground is beautifully rendered. You can see the artisan hard at work. He has a determined look on his face. In the background you have this ideal idol. Representing work and knowledge. Four arms on this, ready to take down the information, keep the techniques updated, but the tools of the trade in his tail, at the ready for when duty calls. The colours here are so great, and this simple little work station paints a bigger picture of the society built around it. This is really amazing to say so much in one picture. Thousands of untold stories right in this entry. Enough to make you want to create an entire world based off of one room.

16. Untitled by @Xlanax_lot
    Missed one! If I were to title this one it would be Contemplations of the Deepest Kind

This slann, looking mysterious and pondering. Is he contenplating how to deal with the lesser races? Or has he decided and looking down over the battlefield deciding which troops will most efficiently get the job done. Gorgeous work with just black ink. Blown away by the incredible use of different line weights to show off different features of the model. Amazing detail from the warts to the carefully crafted jewels worn by the slann. My favourite is the square wristlet and his lip ring. Just an incredible detailed drawing of the slann that makes me hope to see more from this artist!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

@Bowser very nice breakdown of all the entries. I think @Xlanax_lot 's picture is deserving of a your breakdown as well even though it missed the entry deadline.

Xlanax_lot, Warden and Bowser like this.
  14. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

You are quite correct! Editing it now!

Xlanax_lot and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  15. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

8 hours to go.

With 34 voters so far, only one vote separates the top contenders, @Warden and @Hyperborean .

If you haven't voted already, you could make someone's day :) or ruin it :( or both o_O

Jorgik likes this.
  16. Hyperborean
    Ripperdactil

Hyperborean Well-Known Member

17. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

Oh, I don't know. I kind of lost interest when I saw I wasn't going to win.

Yay Warden, congratulations on your victory. For your prize you get a mounted copy of the winning entry to put on your office wall.

NIGHTBRINGER, Warden and Bowser like this.
  18. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Phoedinn Well-Known Member

Congratulations @Warden! The trophy has been updated with your name, forever immortalising your achievement with that lovely piece! Well, at least as long as a non-physical object can actually achieve.

https://skfb.ly/N6tZ
    screenshot006.png

19. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

I see a prophecy: only eleven more visual contests remain until the end, as written on the sacred plaque of Phoe'din'n. It is known.

20. details
    Cold One

details Well-Known Member

damn, returned too late to vote, oh well, nice contest!

Who cares about the place? I came for the colors.