1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9th Age Feel free to ask questions here

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Pinktaco, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

Just to clarify on the terror and fear issue:

• T-Rex have Terror since a Ridden monster always have Terror.
    • The Tyrannosaurus explicitly have it because it's being counted at a Monstrous Cavalry (page 62 BRB).
    • Normally MC units don't have fear.
    • However due to the Large Target rule the rider don't benefit from being mounted, but it does benefit from swiftstride.
    • Likewise the Spinosaurus have been turned into a MC unit granting it Swiftstride, but like the Tyrannosaurus it have the Large Target and Terror in it's rules.
    Concerning Templeguards Weapons Master rule: With this rule they're allowed to use swords as well. Gaining the option to use parry and the shield.

Also FYI tthe salamander now hits everything the template touches during the D6 movement of the template. :)

n810 and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  2. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Spells in our army and their new name:

Veteran of the Chaos Wars
    Path of White Magic - Luminous Bolts
    Path of Black Magic - Moraec's Fury

Staff of Mending
    Path of White Magic - The Phoenix Rises

Alter of Snake-God
    Path of Disease Putrefying Touch

Sun Engine
    Path of Light - Burning Brightness

Spinosaurus Wizard Conclave
    Path of Wilderness - The Beast Within
    Path of Wilderness - Redwood Shaft

3. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

Why was it that the Carnosaurs Bloodroar was removed? Was it too powerful overall, or with terror tests or fear tests, or did you just feel that it didn't really fit?

4. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

With a constant -1Ld debuffer from fear it was considered too powerful to also have reversed cold blooded on fear tests.

The current solution is also quite fitting IMO and is yet another way to deal with fliers.
    The committee was quite concerned that we'd see more fliers and needed more ways to deal with them.

Our anti air measures consist of: The above special rule, Spike lizards and the Spinosaurus. Not to mention blowpipes being s decent solution against large targets.

So we basically have something in all categories and shouldn't feel forced into a specific unit.

5. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

Fair enough. I think the new rule is fine and have nothing against it, but I did like Bloodroar. What if it just gave, I don't know -2 ld for Fear tests or something like that?

Even though i liked Bloodroar, I like the changes to the Carnosaur enough that I can easily forgive it's removal.

6. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

Hi. General question: Am I right saying that units in close combat can just move like others? Didn't find a passage where this is said in the rules, but a friend of mine says they can't...

7. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Is that an Aos related question? :)

8. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

Maybe one of us is mixing something up. But we had the discussion about 9th...
    And aos is available in German and on just 4 pages... With a text marker I would have ended the discussion I a second and started one about messing up the flat screen... ;)
    Such a stupid question? :p

9. Ersh
    Cold One

Ersh Active Member

...just finished painting dread saurian. any chance that this beast will be in 9 age?

Add: Someone already made BattleScribe files?

ADD: ok. so I had enough time to cross-check rules in books.

1) Alpha Carnosaur - no frenzy? (usual carno have it)

2) Look at mounts - carno and alpha carno, let's mount them:

Carno -> monstr. beast -> monts. cav. (combined prophiles) -> so, like in old brb
    Carn. Alpha -> monster -> rided monster -> saurian warlord will have monster WS, and no armour/ward benefits
    so, mounting your warlord on carno - is just a 230p downgrade?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  10. Elholm
    Skink

Elholm Member

it could be argued @Ersh that the Alpha would be too hard to kill... i mean ws5 t6 w6 1+ 4++.. but when that is said i too love the carno :D
    i dont understand the reduction of our warriors maximum unit size, it makes horde formation useless, since they strike at I 2 or could die to shooting, those 5 additional wounds are hard i my oppinion...
    @Pinktaco is there an explanation why our lord/hero saurians cant take spawning to join our units (thinking vanguard)

11. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

1) there's a relative new post on this discussion forum regarding a tool to make lists, but nothing currently available for phones.

2) no dread saurian as monster. How big is the base size because perhaps it can be used as the alpha carnosaur.

3) The alpha carnosaur have more wounds, higher strength, higher toughness and is a perfect candidate for our Flaming Aura talisman. For added protection give him the lucky shield (the effect should still work, but not the armour).

1) baby carnosaur is only intended for maximum 2+/4+ save

2) reduced size is supposedly game wide "nerf" to reduce maximum unit size.

3) The ABC was only allowed to give our saurian warriors the Spawnings. With the exception of vanguard this is not an issue anyway.

12. serbianwolf
    Cold One

serbianwolf Active Member

wait how can a ridden monster benefit from starfall shard?

13. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Items worded with "Bearer's model" = entire model and not just part of it = usable with the alpha carno :)

14. serbianwolf
    Cold One

hmmm i would never interpret it as such, i mean if its so, thats just awesome, dont get me wrong, should we faq this or is it 100% legit?

if the wordnig is bearers model and not bearer than it works on ridden monsters for everything I guess?

15. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

I don't have the time, but search for Bearer's model on the core rules pdf :)

But yeah Bearer's model = good for ridden monsters (only the effect, not the armour). There are only like 2 magic armour with this wording.

serbianwolf likes this.
  16. serbianwolf
    Cold One

i didnt find the exact wording but it says that a model can have multiple parts/profiles, so from that the wording you are right...

well then, divine icon on a carnosaur, i there any character to stand before it :D

17. Ersh
    Cold One

Ersh Active Member

may be I am mistaken, but ...no.

Saurian lord have WS6 and S5. With standard great weapon (or magic weapon) it's S7, and any lord choice in any army usually have maximum protection. Simply because it's a general.
    Mounted SL will have WS4, S7. Yes, W will be 6, not 3. But poor saves and WS, combined with large target... It's not worth of 230 points, it looks more like a debuff in fact.
    Also, baby carno (as any combined profile) wins twice with magic that add T or S.

18. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

I wouldn't say that the Saurian lord on a tyrannosaurus rex is bad at all. It can potentially dish out 2D6 strength 7 attacks, 5 WS 6 Strength 7 attacks and 6 WS 4 strength 7 attacks. As long as you give the saurian ancient the stegdon war spear and have the charge. Give him the flaming aura and he is -1 to hit, negating some of the issues with a relatively low WS (it is better than before though).

Sure the tyrannosaurus is more tanky, but the tyrannosaurus rex is more of a killing machine.

19. Haemoglobin
    Ripperdactil

Haemoglobin 9th Age Army Support

Using the -1 to hit spells from patj of heavens/wilderness combined with the talisman can really help it survive in battle. Keep in mind that the lord on alpha carno really is a monster hunter that hits before or equal with monsters

20. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

In my opinion the Scar-Vet on a Tyrannosaurus is a far superior choice over the Oldblood + Rex combo.