1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finecast

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by langaandy, May 26, 2011.

1. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

SanDiegoSurrealist New Member

I got to check out a few yesterday and the detail is AMAZING! And they are light as a feather, so no more having to pin large models and so on. Can’t wait to see the Old Blood Carnasaur fig should be really nice.

Only issue I have seen so far is a a couple models that were sold yesterday at my local (Dark Eldar something or other and an Imperial guard Commissar) were returned (exchanged) because they had air bubble holes in them, so be sure to pick up some green stuff as well.

I actually think this whole FineCast is just a ploy to sell more green stuff.

2. Lingbei
    Cold One

Lingbei New Member

I went to a local stockist(not GW) today and he said GW had given him some to paint up and show to customers, and so far it didn't bode well seeing as one of the models had partly broke, and one of the models to sell that he had was also damaged.

3. Didymus
    Chameleon Skink

Didymus Active Member

I heard (quite a while ago) that plastic/resin is actually more expensive as a base material than tin (or whatever they use) because of oil prices. Any truth in that?

4. HashBash
    Skink

HashBash New Member

First of all im pretty sure GWs new casting material IS cheaper than both metals and the "usual" plastics.
    I believe the casting resin has very little to do with resin afterall. AFAIK it's a mix of all kinds of awesome, probably mostly chemical stuff. It might contain some organic plant oils, but those are probably "extracted", rather than drained from the underground after millennia under heat n presure.
    No doubt, the only unrefined oil used in the casting process is whatever fuel goes into the machinery ;)

5. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Not true at all, this isn't really resin or plastic it is somewhat a hybrid of both. And it is definitely a cheaper material than tin, additionally the price of it will pretty much remain steady while tin prices fluctuated all over the place.

Not sure about this massive midnight unveiling, there is a link to Finecast on the GW website now but the article is blank. They don't appear to be listed anywhere. It is past midnight in the UK, and it is now nearly midday where I am and nothing on the GW online store.

6. Lonesoldier
    Skink

Lonesoldier New Member

They say that it is suppose to be cheaper but increase prices across the board? wtf?

Perhaps in lighter news for me,

Does this mean I do not have to use infernal super glue that sticks to my fingers better than my models and use plastic glue for resin models? :)

7. strewart
    OldBlood

Nope, plastic glue will not work for them. Only super glue. This is mentioned in the 'Q&A' blog post yesterday.

And speaking of which, I really like one line saying 'these are the best quality miniatures in the world!!!11!!' and the next line saying 'there are lots of bubbles in the casts, you'll have to fill them with superglue'. :rolleyes:

8. strewart
    OldBlood

So the Misca$t pages are up on the GW website now, great! I'll be there, buying a unit of 5 Blood Knights for a whopping $165, with bonus bubbles to fill! Actually, Archaon looks better value, one man sized guy on a horse.... $83!! :rolleyes:

9. HashBash
    Skink

HashBash New Member

According to GW then ye, supoerglue should do just fine. However I saw an introduction video on assembling Forgeworld monsters and preparing the resin (though the FW resin might be another formula cause this one was super bad to breath) anyways those guys used two component glue. two liquids that aint sticky by itself but bonds super well when you mix it. I don't know any brands or the like, but I'll probably look into that when I get hold of my first finecast :p

Regarding that grand "midnight"-release I stayed up till 3am UK time (I think, 4am where I come from), only that menu page was up... should've just gone to bed and forwarded the time, lal :(

10. strewart
    OldBlood

Two-part epoxy glue is very strong, but obviously takes time to prepare. Super glue really will hold it well enough, and I have no problem with superglue, I prefer it over plastic glue. But if you want to go the extra step to 2-part epoxy, no harm I guess.

11. HashBash
    Skink

HashBash New Member

I just noticed on the GW website... Two of the lizzies preoduct just took a massive step up in prize...
    Probably updated (sadly) with todays release of Fine Casts...
    Temple Guards are now 25,5£ making it on par with the rediculously prized goldswords, Helf special units and the like.
    Also the Stegadon kit is now 31£.
    Meanwhile the Battalion box appears to stay the same, making the content extremely cheap im comparation.
    Nearly 30£ saved o_O!
    Really too bad I aint got the money to invest right now...
    FU GW, now they're increasing prized without even reboxing the damn things. silly silly silly

12. Lingbei
    Cold One

Lingbei New Member

I worked it out for GBP and in Aus your paying over £40 more than us, thats just insane :/

13. MasterSlann
    Cold One

MasterSlann New Member

just got back from my local shop. I'm impressed by the models actually, the details are more sharp and crisp. Fur and feathers and such are much more defined. I got to compare a metal archaeon and the finecast one and there was a definite difference. I didn't see any bubbling or miscasts out of the blisters that I looked into either. Overall it looks like a quality product but the price increase still isn't justified.Oh an lots of "flash" but it was easily removed without harm to the minis :)

14. Terrenord
    Jungle Swarm

Terrenord New Member

Where I come from they call the new Koq-gar model plus cher.

15. theodmino
    Saurus

theodmino New Member

I gotta agree with all and say that this pay increase is just a load of sh*t!

Sure, the resin might have some neat advanteges, such as being easier to work with and stuff, and I don't really mind the defects that might occure all to much. it's just that I don't think it's cool to see this as an excuse to increase the price of anything.

For me this means that I will buy less (if anything) from GW and spend more time trying to get other people to shift me their old "second hand" models to me for a sensible price.

By the way, I would love to see some Ogres (and evetually lizardmen) models from those manic boys. Will probably get me a couple of those. Can't wait! :D

16. langaandy
    Skink

langaandy New Member

I was looking at the new finecast kroq gar yesterday and I will admit that the detail really has taken a step up and is amazing. But so has the price, old metal kroq gar $85 au new finecast kroq $102 au

Holy Sh!t. I wonder if they accept body parts as payment

17. midnightkid333
    Skink

midnightkid333 New Member

http://www.miniwargaming.com/content/new-gw-finecast-miniatures-first-impressions-

Matt from miniwargaming did a great review of the new miniatures.

btw matt said that the switch to resin had nothing to do with the price increase. GW increases their prices every June, apparently. they just happened to make the switch to resin on the same day of the price increase. its all covered in the video.

18. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

that was a pretty interesting video, and i dont doubt that he speaks the truth, but you have to remember: he sells these things. ofc he cant say they suck :p

in the meantime, here is a link to GWs financial reports.
    http://investor.games-workshop.com/latest_results/default.aspx

you can notice how the return on invested capital increased from 5 to 44 in just a few years... wonder why... :rolleyes:

19. strewart
    OldBlood

Thing is, not everything got a price increase. GW selectively increased things that they thought needed it (or that they thought people would pay more for more likely) and they chose to increase prices on the Finecast stuff to try to hype it up as exclusive and brilliant. THey could have chosen to keep prices the same, and they should have chosen to decrease prices. I'm sure they're not all bad, but I have seen loads of stories and pictures of bad miscasts, and honestly if GW want to market this as the best thing in the miniature world, it damn well better be the best quality or I'm simply not touching it, and the simple fact is a very large portion of kits have miscasts and large bubbles.

20. Didymus
    Chameleon Skink

Didymus Active Member

Interesting video, thanks for the link.