1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First lizard i've painted

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Kek, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Kek
    Jungle Swarm

Kek New Member

As i'm new to the lizards can you please give me some comments on my paint schemes.
    The scales arn't all done (cos they take so blooming long!!!) but i think the rest is finished

Kek

PICT0127.jpg
    PICT0128.jpg
    PICT0129.jpg

2. SlannOfItza
    Kroxigor

SlannOfItza New Member

Its very...Blue...

Lol, I actually really like it (blue works for me), and I think you did a great job on the paint job, the highlighting and everything looks very good.

The silver metal looks good on its leg, I'd be tempted to suggest you do the whole howdah silver over gold, with black markings and such.

Speaking of markings and such details, I think the jewels would look better yellow (blue/yellow looks great). But other then some personal color suggestions, the model looks fine.

...Looking back one last time, I'd like to suggest that the horns and other bone spikes could be lighter. They seem very dark compared to the toes (which may just be the lighting from photo).

Good work. :D

3. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Looks good overall, I like it. Did you make liberal use of asurman blue wash on the flesh?

In contrast to SlannofItza, I would actually darken the toes rather than brightening the other horns. Horns can very easily stand out a lot more than they should and be too bright, in reality horns are usually quite dull sometimes even brown and don't stand out much at all. The focal point should be the blue. ;)

Also for the jewels, while blue and yellow look great together yellow and gold on each other is a bit harder to pull off. Blue and red also work great, I'd probably leave than and if anything make the gold a little bit more yellow/gold. The full howdah should allow plenty of yellow to be on the model though.

Keep going, I look forward to seeing the howdah finished. :)

4. SlannOfItza
    Kroxigor

SlannOfItza New Member

Yeah Strewart, I'd have to agree most of what you said is pretty solid. I'd only like to mention I suggested silver over gold, in which yellow jewels would look kicka$$ on.

But yeah...Good painting... :D

5. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

It looks very good. I look forward to seeing the finished product when/if you take some of the repliers' advices. :artist:

6. Quetzal
    Jungle Swarm

Quetzal New Member

I really like how you have done the skin here, rather than making it over fleshy or too dull it looks somewhat leathery (again maybe the lighting but I doubt it). It looks a lot like what non scaled lizard skin looks like, the skin of a cold blooded animal. You don't seem to have used too much wash on the skin seeing as it's a large surface and (just thinking logically here) would darken any highlights you added in the previous stages of shaded. I do suggest though that you attempt to add some blue, gray wash to the recessed areas of the skin, for example the muscle on the legs, a narrowed down area which if you've used to much can me dried up quickly with a paper towel...

hope to see some further developments and the howdah!