1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS First monster choise

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by milman, Nov 16, 2016.

?

Best monster to add to your army

1. Stegadon

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Bastiladon

11 vote(s)
    78.6%
  3. Troglodon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. milman
    Saurus

milman Active Member

Hi all!
    A quick question for you guys (and ladies) about monster choise.
    Choises are : troglodon,bastilodon and stegadon.
    The trog is a cool looking model but i think it may be the least strong one of the 3. Now between the basti and the stega... I get the feeling when i read in the topics that the basti is an allot more chosen monster then the stega.
    I get that he is realy strong for surviving and shooting. But the stegadon (bow) has a realy nice range and his cc att looks pretty good. A -3 rend att from horns and a 3D6 att from stomp.

Am i thinking to much of the stegadon or is he a real choise option next to the bastiladon.

Bowser likes this.
  2. Duinila
    Saurus

Duinila Member

Having looked at all the Warscrolls again, I think the Bastiladon is just my fave choice tbh

milman likes this.
  3. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

1. Bastiladon
    2. Stegadon
    3. Trog

Buldi and milman like this.
  4. milman
    Saurus

milman Active Member

And could you guys say why?
    I realise the basti is realy strong. But what do you think about the 3D6 att from the stomp?

5. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Play style,

Derfensive use a Bastiladon to inflict ranged damage and shield/block off units.
    Aggressive use a Stegadon to mow down troops and break lines.
    Trog use cause it is a really cool model and used as a vassal for your slann.

Bowser likes this.
  6. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

first: Bastiladon
    second: Stegadon

Basti is just too durable to not have it, it's an heavy shooting bunker that (if supported) simply refuses to die.
    The stegadon is slightly inferior, however there are cases where effectively it could serve you better: basti is slow, steggy is fast and also gives synergies to skinks; if you already have a slow anvil (for example, an Eternal Starhost), then I'd go for the Stegadon, and the same can be said if you need a fast hitter as support to knights and you don't field a carnosaur.

third: Troglodon

All our dinosaurs are front-liners, while the Trog is the only one that acts as support unit, so it covers a totally different role. It's decisely more situational, and it's a great arcane vassal. It should never be taken "instead of (insert dino)", but as secondary choice

7. milman
    Saurus

milman Active Member

Will be taking a basti then. And maybe a stegadon later becaus it could be handy. Thanks for the tips :)

Bowser likes this.
  8. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

What does the rest of your army look like? Bastiladon is my first choice, but depending on your build Stegadon might be the better choice.

9. milman
    Saurus

milman Active Member

A start collecting box. I'm in a campaigne in a local store for starters of miniature gaming. Everybody chose a starter box. Every month you pick 1 new unit. After my starter box i will chose 2 salamanders. And then comes the monster. So...basti best then?

Bowser likes this.
  10. milman
    Saurus

milman Active Member

A start collecting box. I'm in a campaigne in a local store for starters of miniature gaming. Everybody chose a starter box. Every month you pick 1 new unit. After my starter box i will chose 2 salamanders. And then comes the monster. So...basti best then?

Bowser likes this.
  11. hy6n
    Jungle Swarm

hy6n New Member

in my personal opinion salamanders function best in 1500+ point games where a little more shooting is needed but at the level your at right now i would recommend getting the batiladon first due to the fact that for 100 more points from the 2 salamanders you get way more reliable shooting as well as a great anvil for your warriors/knights to hammer against while providing long range support for anything targeting your carno/other units, than again this is simply personal opinion if you have a plan/tactic you want to try involving salamanders then who am i to stop you

milman and Bowser like this.
  12. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

With the start collecting box you have some heavy hitters, so salamanders would be great for shooting, and the Bastilidon will be a great anvil to help out with that. The Stegadon is great for bulldozing through things though, and can take some wounds as well, but I think it works best in a skink army given the Skink alpha ability .

milman likes this.
  13. Accidental Cultist
    Jungle Swarm

Accidental Cultist New Member

I had the exact same question, having been reading through this site and other forums, as well as talking to the FLGS and local GW, the overwhelming consensus was Bastiladon is objectively better, but the feedback i also got was got for the model you prefer. As i much prefer the Stegadon model (and am building a aggressive list anyway) i went with the Stegadon instead.

What has drawn me into AOS from the start has been the overall sense of "do what makes you happy". So i would rephrase the question - What does best mean to YOU, then that's your answer. If best means most competitive than i think most of the community would agree on the Bastiladon, but if 'best' is the best looking model or most fun to play with, than the answer might be different.

Freddy25, milman and Bowser like this.
  14. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

That's the great thing about AOS. there are no wrong answers. If you're having fun and just enjoying your models you're doing it right.

milman and Accidental Cultist like this.
  15. milman
    Saurus

milman Active Member

You have a great point there! I do like the stegadon and the troglodon better then the bastilodon. Besides,if i was to take as a hero (the month after the monsters choise) an scar vet carno and for a monster i would take a troglodon, that would look super badass on the field! :D 3 huge carnivors! But the play style of the knights + stegadon as a charge team has something cool to it also...
    But i do like to win also ofcourse,so a bastilodon could still be an option....

Seraphon is such an awesome army on all parts !! :D

16. Accidental Cultist
    Jungle Swarm

Accidental Cultist New Member

That's exactly how i decided to build my army, great models and a fun playstyle.

Bowser and milman like this.
  17. milman
    Saurus

milman Active Member

Please let me know how well it works becaus i probably wont be going down that road. (Was planning on adding a scar vet on cold oneand firelance starhoste) but i'm going to mix stuff and after that see what i like best :)

Bowser likes this.
  18. benclark
    Saurus

benclark Active Member

I voted Stegadon but that's just because I think it looks better, Bastiladon is probably the right first choice tactically. However financially Troglodon is the most sensible option as you do have the parts to do some conversion work and make yourself one as well as the Carnosaur from the Start Collecting box doing the conversion here.

We're doing the same slow grow league although yet to bash out the details after that first tournament in February next year. My aim is to get a second Start Collecting box as the sheer value is insane, these are my plans.

Bowser likes this.