1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First painting using GW paint, test for my color scheme

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by angelwuff, Jun 16, 2009.

1. angelwuff
    Saurus

angelwuff New Member

here we go, my first figure, a skink brave to lead a pack of skirmishers. Pretty pleased, but hope later units will have more contrast between brownish skin and whatever color I go for plates. you can't see, but his belly is blue. Don't expect more soon until I buy paints next month, but hopefully in two months I'll have the whole unit painted up and get a picture.

First time posting with photobucket, hope this works.

Attached Files:

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Looks nice, and fairly clean painting on most of the model. I definitely agree that the scales should be a different colour though, or at least highlight them up to be a bit lighter. They look unfinished at the moment. I quite like the affect you have achieved on the skin areas though. :)

3. angelwuff
    Saurus

angelwuff New Member

I think I need to give them a second wash, and then more aggressive dry brushing. But I'll keep this unit a bit more 'plain' and the second half of the skink box I might try more aggressive color variations. My scheme is wide enough I can practice various techniques unless I go too outlandish colors

4. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

Thinks he is rather spooky (in a good way) the kind of lizard that would jump up from the mud and cut you in two. Indeed you should make some highlights on the scale but still think it's awesome

5. angelwuff
    Saurus

angelwuff New Member

when I get the unit painted (not likely to next month) I'll get some pics of them as a squad. Thanks for the comments though ^^

6. angelwuff
    Saurus

angelwuff New Member

update! better color correction to get more natural colors!

7. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Looking pretty awesome now, hes got a very cool wet and shiny look. I would personally still make the scales more different to the skin, but that is just my preference for lizardmen, it looks great as it is.

Also, your photography is brilliant. :D How do you get a completely flat white background?

8. angelwuff
    Saurus

angelwuff New Member

having two roomies who rock at photo manip >.>

it was taken against a piece of white paper. but was taken under very yellow light.

hence the first one's weird yellowness

suspect the second one had the shadows airbrushed out.

9. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

It's quite good! I can't wait to see some Saurus done up the same way.

10. angelwuff
    Saurus

angelwuff New Member

not sure how long that will be, waffling between painting the two units of skirmishers fully, or getting a box of saurus with the next purchase, so I have a 500 pt starter army to paint up.

11. Lauranne
    Jungle Swarm

Lauranne New Member

What colors do you used?

12. angelwuff
    Saurus

angelwuff New Member

uh...

chaos black under coat

khemri brown base color

?catachan? green wash for the back scales. or might have been catachan green drybrushes and something green wash.

regal blue washes for the belly you can't see.

a little bit of chaos black wash overall.

dwarf bronze and red... gore? for the weapon. Shining gold for the jewelry. Pondering if I should have used burnished to make it stand out different from bronze more.

gloss coat for the base, black eyes, and teeth of the weapon. I'm going to redo the base in a few days. dark brown base coat, add a blotch of flock, then heavy green, dark blue, and black washes over the whole thing to get a muddy/puddly look. then gloss coat it again.