1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KoW First Salamander List 1250 Points

Discussion in 'Salamanders Army Lists' started by Lord Grok Of Xillaqua, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Lord Grok Of Xillaqua
    Kroxigor

Lord Grok Of Xillaqua Well-Known Member

Here is my first Salamander list that I'm going to be trying out in a few days. Any feedback would be great! :)

Horde:
    40 Salamander Primes = 230pts

Regiments:
    20 Ancients with Blessing of the Gods = 195pts
    10 Kaisenor Lancers = 170pts

Troops:
    10 Gekkotah Hunters x 2 = 200pts

Monsters:
    1 Ankylodon battle Platform with Blowpipes = 250pts
    1 Lekilodon = 95pts

Hero:
    1 Mage Priest with Heal = 105pts

Total: 1245pts

Itepixcauh likes this.
  2. Itepixcauh
    Carnasaur

Itepixcauh Stranded Ghekkotah Staff Member

It's a very solid list, I like it a lot. Only problem I see is that you don't have any inspiring there.

Maybe changing the Mage-Priest for a Herald with the Diadem of Dragon-Kind would be a good idea.

The rest of the list seems great. Ancients with Elite will be a great unit for sure, it's a very solid build and I mean solid like a ton of bricks. Will be interesting how it fares.

Also you have 5 points magic items available to fill those small gaps up to 1250.

What army are you going against?

3. Lord Grok Of Xillaqua
    Kroxigor

I don't know honestly. I tried to make it a "take all comers" list but i know that Elves is a likely foe

4. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Waiting for my book with the Salamander army in!

5. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Are most of the Elves units Elite?

6. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Hope you don't mind but I've tweaked your list, I'm completely new so if this is rubbish forgive me.

Horde:
    40 Salamander Primes = 230pts

Regiments:
    20 Ancients with Blessing of the Gods = 195pts
    10 Kaisenor Lancers with Maccwar's Potion of the Caterpillar = 170pts

Troops:
    10 Gekkotah Hunters x 2 = 200pts

Monsters:
    1 Ankylodon battle Platform with Blowpipes = 250pts

Hero:
    1 Mage Priest with Bane Chant, Inspiring Talisman = 125pts
    1 Herald = 60pts

Total: 1250pts

****If you want the Lekelidon back in you can drop *10 Ghekkotah hunters and add blade of slashing onto the Primes.

Itepixcauh likes this.
  7. Itepixcauh
    Carnasaur

I like @Crowsfoot suggestions, inspiring is key in this game.

Most important thing though is to know your meta, it really depends what type of armies you are going to face. Also have in mind that heavy shooting lists are our worst match up, at least for me, so beware. To deal with them the only solution is to include a Ghekkotah Skylord to disorder the enemy main shooting unit or kill warmachines fast. But once again that depends entirely on what you are going to face.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  8. Lord Grok Of Xillaqua
    Kroxigor

Interesting suggestions form both of you. I have thought about inspiring but I simply wanted a mage with spells in my first games just to see how he worked. I don't mind the tweeking of my list since the new list is still playable with models I have available. I will keep these suggestions in mind.

Itepixcauh likes this.
  9. Itepixcauh
    Carnasaur

Please, don't hesitate to tell us how the list fared. In actually interested specially the Ancients and the Ankylodon.

10. Lord Grok Of Xillaqua
    Kroxigor

The match was played last night against the infamous Rat-Kin! The mission was Loot! and i'm proud to report that the Rat-Kin failed to secure a single piece of loot from the table from the Salamanders!

And to answer your request Itepixcauh.

Ancients: This unit was my hammer in the army and it fulfilled the task perfectly. It took down a regiment of rats-at arms thanks to Banechant (thanks for the suggestion Crowsfoot) and (in an choice that was a huge gamble) i decided to let my ankylodon fend for itself and get a flank charge on my opponents horde of rats-at arms which (again with banechant) procedded to annihilate the unit, while also securing a loot counter in the possession of the rats.

Ankylodon: was a strong anvil unit that held a horde of rat ogres/brutes for two turns before failing a a nerve test of 10+ even with the herald's re-roll. Due to its stoic sacrifice, it defended one of the loot tokens from being captured and held up one of the strongest combat units my opponent had. Lesson learned: even though its tough, ankylodons need an additional unit to support it against horde-sized units.

And the star of the night was...

Mage-priest: This mage literally sealed the game for me. while the banechant spell was essential to my ancients charges, whenever it used fireball, it was pyromania. In the end, after the ankylodon was routed, it was the mage who finished off the rat brutes with 8 out of 10 fireballs doing damage in one round and making them rout. Similarly, the rat-kin's herald and wizard also met very crispy ends at my mage's scaly hands.

Sad to say though, the Herald ended up being the least useful unit in the army that night. every unit that needed its re-roll didn't get the inspiration they needed, even on nerve tests of 10+ or more (there were at least 3 that night). I tend to assume that it might be because the golden banner of Xillaqua just wasn't shiny enough to be seen due to the fading light of day.

Itepixcauh and Crowsfoot like this.
  11. Crowsfoot
    Slann

I'm having my first KOW battle tomorrow will let you know how we go on.

Itepixcauh likes this.
  12. Itepixcauh
    Carnasaur

YES!! Another glorious victory to the Salamanders! Sotek is rejoicing in his eternal glory, and he isn't even near Mantica.

Also just to note it, the ankylodon has CS4 so he doesnt get any better with Banechant, with CS4 you wound everything on a +2. I'm really glad you got it to work, you obviously gave it a better use than I did when I playtested it. Did you remember the Iron resolve rule? I forgot about it the first time.

I agree with you, the mage-priest is a real beast. You have to love the Fireball.

Its a shame to hear about the herald, but your enemy had a really good luck to reroll a +10, plain and simple.

Thanks for the review its really apreciated

13. Crowsfoot
    Slann

I think if we keep posting how good KOW is more will try it, I have not even played a game yet but already I love it due to how the rules are written, plain and straight forward and I can't wait to play.

Itepixcauh likes this.
  14. Lord Grok Of Xillaqua
    Kroxigor

Indeed. I thought it was a well-earned victory especially after the brief takeover our temples suffered from the rat folk.

Also, I did remember the CS4 and Iron Resolve for the Ankylodon, I only used banechant on the Ancients to make them harder hitting. :)

Crowsfoot and Itepixcauh like this.
  15. Lord Grok Of Xillaqua
    Kroxigor

Got a second game in over the weekend with my list, this time it was against dwarves with a Pillage mission

Victory went to the Salamanders again by securing 4 out of 5 objective points by the end of turn 6.

Things I learned:
    - Dwarven shooting has less accuracy than I initially thought but when it hits, it hurts our high defense units badly. Luckily, I was successful in closing the gap between us and kept most of my units in combat or behind cover.
    - Have something that can take out the war machines quickly, cannons and organ guns will ruin a strong unit with a few good dice rolls and an engineer next to them.

Crowsfoot, Bowser and Itepixcauh like this.
  16. Itepixcauh
    Carnasaur

Great to hear that! It seems your army is very well balanced. Did the hearld helped more this time?

17. Lord Grok Of Xillaqua
    Kroxigor

Sadly no, but this time it was because the only unit that got routed was out of his Inspiring range and that most of my army took damage but never failed any nerve tests. The routed unit was the Ankylodon but it did an amazing job soaking up most of the dwaven shooting on one flank and screening my ancients from said shooting due to being in melee in later turns.

Crowsfoot, Bowser and Itepixcauh like this.