1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Fixing Serephon

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by Erta Wanderer, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

ill run the math eny ideas what this should replace?

the mane problem with this is it would also work on eleat units like storm fiends and kurnoths which makes this insanely powerful

most things have way more then 12" range for shooting or they are in melee our guard do this better

all the heroes and most of the foot troops have this already

do you mean roll 2 dice and take the lowest? as is this is strictly worse then standered battle shock

so im all for the rend on the claws but im trying to avouide a role of on blood roar battle shock is realy hard to abuse and a ability that only wourks 55% of the time just feels bad to play with, rerolling bights with a 3+ is 50% better then what it was but with the next one it's acualy worse a 33% drop

same as above but we already ignore rend -1 also im not suten what the comand ability does is it +1 to the atack profile or do they get to pile in again?

LizardWizard and Lizerd like this.
  2. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

This seems to make warriors strictly worse.

I'd rather have 40 at 330 with a 5+ save then 40 at 450 with a 4+.

Sure they maintain their +1 to hit buff even if they drop below 20 and have a rend (which you have anyway in sunclaw) but i dont know if thats worth the point increase.

Lizerd and Erta Wanderer like this.
  3. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

why did you drop the breavery to 8? i replaced the bravery icon due to every one being imune do you have a plan for this one id love to hear your thoughts. the way you have blazing charge is ridiculously powerful a unit of 10 would be doing 5.5 mortals on top of everything else.

4. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

Yes the battle shock thing was a mistake/typo. The idea was you would roll 2 dice and discard the highest. Saurus warriors having 8 bravery and a better battleshock buff was designed to be somewhat of a balance, but I do get have a 10 bravery being a better idea. Now looking over your stuff for blood roar it is strictly more balanced.

With the scar vet it just means one more attack on the profile, but an additional round would be cool (although maybe unbalanced)

@Putzfrau noted, decreased to 100/360

5. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

As for banners, This is an idea here, so you roll a die if the unit in question is in Melee combat, on a 4+ it inflicts d3 mortal wounds?

We also could do some work on the artifacts

Erta Wanderer likes this.
  6. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

oh so like tzaangors that mite work although i like the movement shenanigans i have now we do a lot of positioning tricks as an army and having an irregular pile in is a much better buff then people think.

crap i forgot artifacts give me a moment ill fix that

Lizerd likes this.
  7. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Artifacts
    • Zoetic Dial Roll a d6 at the start of the battle. On the turn that corresponds to the number you rolled, this unit can attack in the charge phase If you roll a 6 you can choose which turn to use it.
    • Incandescent Rectrices Roll a dice the first time this model is slain. On a roll of 1, it is slain as normal. On a 2+ or more it heals d6 wounds on a 6+ 2d6
    • Blade of Realities Adds -2 to the rend of a weapon your hero uses.
    • Light of Dracothion gives +1 to casts and unbinds
    • Coronal Shield At the start of the combat phase, roll a d6 for every enemy unit within 6". On a 4 or higher, that unit gets a -1 to hit for the rest of the combat phase.
    • Prism of Amyntok at the start of your movement phase, you can target an enemy unit within 8". On a roll of 1 it is struck with 1 mortal wound. A roll of 3-5 inflicts d3 mortal wounds and on a roll of 6 strikes d6 mortal wounds.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    Lizerd and ChapterAquila92 like this.
  8. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Yeah, but now you have 2 costs. Which is a bit odd.

Meh, teleports/deepstrikes/whatever are weird in general with the 9" requirement. Half the time it's irrelevant cuz the thing you teleport shoots, or has a 50" charge due to the sheer amount of modifiers people stack on it, or it leaves the unit stranded in the middle nowhere, just sorta standing there for a turn. Really wish they'd change that so the disadvantage is actually consistently relevant for any unit/faction.

I think some minor mechanical changes to the allegiance abilities are probably going to be unavoidable. The core idea & identity shouldn't need changing. But especially summoning is going to need tweaks if our units actually get vaguely decent statlines. Spamming skinks with a decent statline would quickly become problematic. And if our update involves more than simple number changes it's all but a guarantee. Imagine what'd happen if we got some charge modifiers for our carnosaurs. Would be funny to have giant dinosauruses teleporting around eating what's in front of them only to poof out of existance and appear somewhere else before the enemy can counterattack.

9. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Also @Erta Wanderer I'd suggest making seperate artifacts for skinks, saurus & slann. It'd allow you to make them fit their roles a bit more and opens up some fun options without leading to balance issues. Plus, it'd mean that there'd be more than 1-2 viable artifact for each...

10. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

fair i threw those together in like 2 minuts before work ill put more thought into them when i have time. that sead i don't think skinks and slann need sepret ones they do the same thing for the most part.

11. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Skink heroes also contains the Troglodon and EoTG. Those are fairly different from a slann :p Besides it makes balancing easier. They might be similar, but not the exact same. As an example, the general trait for a slann to be able to cast the skink spells wouldn't work on skinks. You can make up similar artifacts.

Plus, it's nice and fluffy.

12. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

alright give me a day or so ill have a sloe of them for you to look over and we can pick 18 (3 sets of 6) for others reading this feel free to make suggestions i would love to go over your ideas

13. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

I can get the saurus artifacts, I have a few ideas

LizardWizard and Erta Wanderer like this.
  14. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

go for it im hoping for a bunch of options that we have to pair down

15. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

ChapterAquila92 Well-Known Member

There's quite the list of artifacts in the 6th Edition Lizardmen Army book for WFB that would work well as inspiration here, including adaptations of the sacred plaques the Slann could take.

These are most of them as presented in that army book.

Sacred Plaques (Slann only)
    Cupped Hands of the Old Ones: grants accompanying units 5+ ward save against ranged attacks.
    Divine Plaque of Protection: grants +2 bonus to ward save against ranged attacks
    Plaque of Dominion: grants +1 dice for the old magic system (could be reworked into a casting bonus)
    Plaque of Tepok: grants additional spell for the slann to use.

Magic Weapons:
    Blade of Revered Tzunki: +1 Strength, no armour saves allowed
    Scimitar of the Sun Resplendent: +2 attacks
    Staff of the Lost Sun: 3 ranged attacks at Strength 5
    Piranha Blade: unsaved wounds deal twice as much damage
    Blade of Realities: (already in AoS), denied the use of ward saves, dealt twice as much damage to daemons
    Dagger of Sotek: (skink only) Killing Blow ability, causes fear in Skaven
    Sword of the Hornet: user strikes first
    Burning Blade of Chotec: -2 AP, flaming attacks

Magic Armour
    Sacred Stegadon Helm
    : (skink only) +1 armour save, +1 leadership (bear in mind that this was from well before seraphon were made into daemons with 10 bravery)
    Shield of the Mirrored Pool: deflects back magic missile attacks on 4+
    Maiming Shield: +1 attack to bites and shields

Enchanted Items
    Gleaming Pendant of Chotec
    : (one use only) enemy units in base contact strike last in combat phase
    Blood Statuette of Spite: (one use only) May freely cast a spell, must immediately make toughness tests until pass or slain.
    Cloak of Feathers (already in AoS as one of the skink priest's options, allows user to FLY)
    Charm of the Jaguar Warrior: increased movement to 9"
    Curse-Charm of Tepok: (one use only) forces opposing spellcaster to re-roll miscast result.
    Bane Head: nominates enemy character at start of battle to inflict twice as much damage.
    Dragonfly of Quicksilver: +1 on Dice roll to determine who gets to deploy their scouts first.
    Venom of the Firefly Frog: poisoned, magical attacks.

Arcane Items:
    Rod of the Storm
    : magic missile 2d6 Strength 3 hits (4 if target has 4+ armour or better) within 18", unit that suffers wounds from rod must take an immediate bravery check.
    Cube of Darkness: (one use only) up-scaled dispel scroll that affects all spells in play, ends magic phase on 4+.
    Diadem of Power: Bearer can save up to 2 power dice for use in the following turn.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  16. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

woo this is a great start ill have to translate them but thanks for finding this i have no acses to fantasy stuff

17. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

ChapterAquila92 Well-Known Member

Cool!

There's also a few more magic items listed in the book, including 4 banners. Unfortunately, I can't recall them straight off the top of my head, and I won't be able to access my copy of the book until the end of the week.

18. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

don't worry this is a marathon not a sprint we have until the next book comes out to work on this so by my guess about 14 months

19. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

ok lets see what i can do

Sacred Plaques (Slann only)
    Cupped Hands of the Old Ones: grants accompanying units within 3" a 5+ shrug against ranged attacks.
    Plaque of Dominion: (could be reworked into a casting bonus) can do +1 to cast and unbinds
    Plaque of Tepok: a slann holding this artifact knows the following spell
    Ruination of cities: cv8 pick a terrain piece withing 16" all units within 3" take d3 mortal wounds and the terrain piece is removed

Magic Weapons:
    Blade of Revered Tzunki: damage done with this weapon are mortal wounds
    Scimitar of the Sun Resplendent: +2 attacks
    Staff of the Lost Sun: 3 ranged attacks at 3/4/-/1
    Piranha Blade: unsaved wounds deal twice as much damage
    Blade of Realities: make weapon rend -3
    Dagger of Sotek: (skink only) natural wound rolls of 6 remove a non hero or behemoth model
    Sword of the Hornet: user strikes first
    Burning Blade of Chotec: rend becomes -2 and if a unit takes damage from this attack it can not heal until your next hero phase

Magic Armour
    Sacred Stegadon Helm
    : (skink only) units within 6" have the following on a battle shock roll of 1 return d3 models
    Shield of the Mirrored Pool: deflects back mortal wounds on a 4+
    Maiming Shield: +1 attack to bites and shields to units within 3"

Enchanted Items
    Gleaming Pendant of Chotec
    : (one use only) enemy units in base contact strike last in combat phase
    Blood Statuette of Spite: you can make a choise to make 1 spell a turn immune to unbind attempts if you do the wizard takes a d3 mortal wounds this damage can't be shrugged
    Charm of the Jaguar Warrior:increased movement by 3"
    Curse-Charm of Tepok: (one use only) forces opposing spellcaster to reroll a spell cast roll
    Bane Head: inflict twice as much damage. wow this is strong how to balance this ok it can only be equipped by foot heroes there you go canas your heroes can kill stuff
    Dragonfly of Quicksilver: no they alredy removed this from age of sigmar we are not putting it back in.
    Venom of the Firefly Frog: if a unit takes damage from this weapon reduse there save by 1 for the rest of the combat phase

Arcane Items:
    Rod of the Storm
    : arcane bolt does d3 mortals and d6 on a 10 to cast.
    Cube of Darkness: this is a stormcast void scroll
    Diadem of Power: +1 spell cast a turn

and a few i made my self sorry no names yet
    saurus
    resplendent banner ad 2" to to all ranged effects granted by abilities such as command abilities or auras
    +1 to hit
    every time a command point is spent roll a dice on a 5+ you get it back
    slann
    reroll 1 cast attempt per turn
    if this unit would be killed by an attack roll a dice on a 5+ it teleports away with 1 health remaining
    this unit is ethereal
    skink
    this unit activates at the start of combat
    gain the use of the chameleons ambush ability
    units within 3 of this modle bring back a model at the start of your hero phase

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Canas, Lizerd and ChapterAquila92 like this.
  20. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

For ruination of cities, I wouldn't remove the terrain piece. also possibly consider making it more powerfull, the SCE hero with a trumpet can do the same thing, which seem a bit lame :p Other than that cool.

To be honest, I'm curious why we lost so many interesting artifacts compared to WHFB. You'd think it'd have been relativly easy to translate some more of those into AoS.