1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Foundation paints

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by strewart, Apr 20, 2009.

1. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Well, I suspect I am not using the foundation paints properly or simply don't get them.. I thought the idea was higher pigment level so they need less coats to paint on as a base coat. Problem is straight from the bottle they seem too thick to paint right on a model, it would obscure detail. But if you water them down a bit they don't cover any better than normal paints..... Am I missing something?? :jawdrop:

Though I only do have one at the moment, and that is macharius solar orange..

2. SimonTheSorcerer
    Skink

SimonTheSorcerer New Member

I used the foundations on my lizzies and it didnt obscure any detail, i didnt water them down but i always removed a fair bit of paint from the brush before applying the coat. Have you tried that?

And have you noticed they smell foul! There supposed to be odourless apparently o_O

3. diablarist
    Skink

diablarist New Member

the smell? oh boy are you missing out. try tasting them. im of the school of thought were a little lip action helps a brush along....but after my fist encounter with a foundion paint...im much more carefull

4. SimonTheSorcerer
    Skink

rofl! i might try it if im THAT bored, on the same note, has anyone ever had a drink sat next to their water pot, and accidentally rinsed their brush in a glass of Coke and then wondered why it tasted slightly funky? :D

and Strewart, i just messed around with the paints and found that it really does help just to wipe the brush on a piece of tissue before applying the paint, and if it does go wrong, it spreads quite nicely and even if you take a dry brush to it to correct it.

5. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

I find they still have good coverage when they're watered down.
    This Salamander was painted with one coat of Necron Abyss, which was watered down plenty. There's a little bit of highlighting done on the head, but that's pretty much it.
    DSCN1658.jpg

6. Revered_Guardian
    Troglodon

Revered_Guardian New Member

7. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Yep, the foundations sure do smell and taste a lot worse than normal paint. I wonder how the blue foundation tastes? Normal blue paint tends to taste better than the other colours, brown is terrible.

You think its bad washing your brush in coke? I have done that a few times, but what is worse is accidentally grabbing the paint water jar and taking a swig rather than the coke glass. :oops:

The salamander does look cool.. Is it drybrushed on? No ink or anything? Maybe some foundations are better than others. The orange wasn't as bright as what I wanted, I should have got fiery orange or something instead since most of the time it will be at least the third highlight layer over black anyway so wouldn't need a huge coverage.

I will try foundation straight from the pot and see how it goes.

8. skinkyone
    Chameleon Skink

skinkyone Active Member

i cant taste them anymore, i brusk lick so much to get them to a point that the taste doesnt bother me anymore lol,

foundation paints are brilliant for drybrushing,
    i mainly use them for his and also mixed with alot of water in my spraygun
    nothing quiet looks like desert colour scheme with normal paints but with the foundations :D

9. SimonTheSorcerer
    Skink

LOL!